Gigabyte X99 and ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card v2

Associate
Hi there, I have a Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 which already has a m.2 installed for the OS on the board itself, it has 2 slots but annoyingly the second is dedicated to the WiFi card..

Has anybody tried the Asus Hyper m.2 adapter on a Gigabyte X99 and can confirm whether it's fully functional?

I know some older boards struggle seeing multiple nvme drives via adapters but can't find anything specific about mine

Board has 2x PCIE x16 and 2x PCIE x8 slots.

Soldato
Have a look in your bios and see if bifurcation can be enabled for your PCIe lanes/slots. Ideally you’ll be able to split one of the x8 slots to x4x4. If not you may be able to mod the bios. Failing that you’ll only be able to use one of the two installed nvme drives without a riser with a switch like this one:

https://www.startech.com/en-gb/hdd/pex8m2e2

I bought one for my ASUS X99 motherboard. Tops out around 3000mb read and write for each drive, not quite native x4 performance with Samsung 970 Pros but still decent.

Edit: for 4 drives (was thinking 2) you’d have to split a x16 slot to x4x4x4x4.

I had one of those ASUS cards briefly while testing. If you haven’t bought one I wouldn’t. It’s a horrible beast of a thing it’s huge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom