Gigaclear 900Mbps Fibre not so Clear

Associate
Hello I'm hoping firstly that I'm posting this in the right area and secondly there is someone that can perhaps help.

After many years of the promise of full FTTP on Monday Gigaclear final connected us up from the pot to our house.
hopeful this would be the end of shouts from upstairs of my son telling me he is laggin.

The install team though polite turned up with the incorrect tools as apparently they didn't know it was going across a drive.
after approximately 2hrs they where done and told me to log on to the Linksys velop add passwords and i would have to set the rest.
Being told this was easy and then it would be all complete.
I done a speed test on the Gigaclear speed checker via Wifi and Samsung Phone and came Back 216Mbps Download and 340 Upload the Gigaclear Guy said this will improve within an hour or so.
he went on to tell me I would receive Wifi speeds if in the right area of near on 900Mbps.
I was also told that the 3 spare ports on the Modem (Small white wall mounted box) could be used as i wanted to run my PCs and Games consoles Via Ethernet.

After hours of faffing about with unplugging testing and retesting found that the speed never increased the ports on the modem do not work and that my wired max speed is 200Mbps download and 400 up.

phoned Gigaclear support and emailed and have been told to reset and unplug all connected devises and reset everything.

Done this and the wired speed is still only 200Mbps Wifi close range is about 180-200Mbps
the Wifi range and speed id perfect and i never thought that any of my devices would be able to run wifi speeds higher than 500Mbps
but the wired side i though paying for 900Mbps i should be getting that speed.

Not sure what the problem is but from the Gigaclear powered by Linksys modem ethernet to the Linksys Velop ethernet out of the velop to my Pc

Any help or advise would be much appreciated
as so far the only really quick thing about Gigaclear is the bill which arrived the next day :confused::confused:

Thanks

Caporegime
"I done a speed test on the Gigaclear speed checker via Wifi and Samsung Phone and came Back 216Mbps Download and 340 Upload the Gigaclear Guy said this will improve within an hour or so."

Lol typical excuse to get off site, they use point to point fibre if I am not mistaken so there is no 'line profiling'. If the speed is low it's likely because of the loss levels on the fibre due to either distance, damage or dirty connectors.

Looking at the specs, 867 is the maximum in perfect conditions assuming your devices have 2 x 2 MIMO. 867mbps would be aggregate throughput as well so just over 400mbps in either direction.
  • Wi-Fi Technology:
    Tri-Band AC2200 (867 + 867 + 400 Mbps)‡ with MU-MIMO and 256 QAM
  • Key Features:
    • Simultaneous Tri-Band Wi-Fi Mesh System
    • Seamless Wi-Fi
    • Easy App Controls
    • 3-Year Warranty and Support
    • AutoFix & Instant Alerts
    • Works with Alexa
  • Network Standards:
    • 802.11b
    • 802.11a
    • 802.11g
    • 802.11n
    • 802.11ac
  • Wi-Fi Bands:
    Simultaneous Tri-Band (2.4Ghz + 5GHz + 5GHz)
  • Number of Ethernet Ports:
    2x WAN/LAN auto-sensing Gigabit Ethernet ports
  • Antennas:
    6x internal antennas and high powered amplifiers
  • Processor:
    716 MHz Quad Core
The main problem is you can't even get the speeds on ethernet. Where does the fibre terminate, are you able to disconnect the Linksys system and connect your laptop to test direct from the termination point?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Thanks for the quick response

There is a grey plastic box on the outside wall and on the other side is the Gigaclear powered by Linksys (Thing) Modem?? is about the size of a single plug socket green lights with ethernet connection and 3x blanked LAN ports.

I have tested straight out of this direct to my pc and was only getting about 90Mbps
when plugged in to the modem to the Velop and ethernet out to the PC its 216 Mbps

this was done with everything wifi enabled turn off in the house

Caporegime
Do you have any other device you can plug in? Only getting 90Mbps sounds like the link was only negotiating at 100Mbps

Edit: Also worth checking Gigaclear's own speed checker - if that's all fine then the problem is outside of your control and you'll have to get on them to sort any capacity issues out

https://www.gigaclear.com/speed-checker

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit: Also worth checking Gigaclear's own speed checker
Trademarked by Ookla... How is this different from Speedtest.net?

FWIW, we've had GigaClear promising us 1Gbps internet for the past 4½ years. We've had fibre and connection pots actually laid for over 2 years. About 2 months ago they came round to install everything in the house... but apparently couldn't connect the fibre to the cab, due to a duct blockage somewhere in the 130m distance between it and us.
We're now sat with a bunch of routers and gubbins, waiting for them to finish the job, so if anyone wants to buy this junk off us.... :p

Meanwhile, they have an email response time of about 2 weeks, on average, so are still better than Powercolour RMAs! :D

Associate
OP
I've tried a laptop and getting near enough the same speeds.

I'm so sorry in advance for not knowing enough and the correct terminology.
Obviously sold the dream and thought id future proof my connection didn't think for one minute id be part of the installation Team but I'm hopefully learning so Thanks.

Janesy B, the speed is low it's likely because of the loss levels on the fibre due to either distance, damage or dirty connectors.
Regarding the Above on the installation sheet it says Pre installation Optic loss -5.52 Don't know if that means anything.

with regards to the Fibre connection from the wall box inside (ONT or modem or Router)??? but out of this is the RJ45 ethernet cable
at that point with a 900Mbps package plugged into a PC what should I be realistically getting ?
I was told the Router (ONT or modem or Router) is set in Bridge Mode what does this mean ?

The way it was left after install was Router connected to the Linksys Velop by ethernet cable which was sending out Wifi 216Mbps Download and 340 Upload
after that i was left to set up the second Velop and soon found that the 3x ports on the (ONT or modem or Router) don't work.

To set up the Linksys i had to install the App and with this there is a speed checker and it figure are 889Mbps down & 895Up
but what speed is this checking ?

my plan now is to connect a TP links switch to connect my Cat6 ethernet cable that go off to other pcs and games consoles
just not got that far as the speed are a lot lower than expected

Associate
OP
I have been using the Gigaclear speed checker as they said they can see the results there end
I was then told they didn't have any results :rolleyes:
just checked again on Gigaclear and 212 down and 435up
on speedtest.net 274 down 491 up

Associate
OP
[QUOTE="ttaskmaster we've had GigaClear promising us 1Gbps internet for the past 4½ years.[/QUOTE]

It was the same for me nearly 5 years
in that time I've gone from 1Mbps to 21Mbps and the 21 would drop down and out regularly

so the speed I'm seeing right now are very quick compared to what I had but not quick enough for what I was told and what I'm expected to pay for.

Caporegime
Did you see them test the line at all? Would be interesting to see if they have any proof that they're delivering the 900mbps you're paying for.

Does anyone know about the Linksys Velop system and what the setting should be
could that even cause low wired speeds ?

From what you posted it seems you're not getting the speeds before the Linksys?

Associate
OP
inside the house they tested nothing outside the property i don't know
inside all they done is connected the wall (ONT or modem or Router) plugged in the Velop and told me to find the Wifi Gigaclear and put in the passcode
then told me its done and the speeds would improve within an hour or so

Soldato
It'll be hosted on their network before the traffic leaves the internet. Anyone can setup their own Ookla server.
What difference does that make compared to, say, BT's or Ookla's own servers?
Not trying to be a nob, I'm just expecting to go through this same **** if they ever get around to finishing my connection.

Caporegime
Not trying to be a nob, I'm just expecting to go through this same **** if they ever get around to finishing my connection.

None really, it's just that Gigaclear can't guarantee that you'll get 1gbps to some random server that is being hammered by everyone else on the internet which is fair. If the server is in their core network that's a better representation of the speed of the service before it leaves for their transit and has to contend with every other bit of traffic on the internet.

Caporegime

It's just a way of narrowing down the issue. If you're doing a speed test to a third party host on a completely different ISP to your own and the speeds are low, but the Gigaclear-hosted test shows you results that match the connection that you're paying for, then all of your equipment is fine, your link back to the local cabinet is fine, and the link out of that cabinet into the rest of Gigaclear's network is fine as well, and it indicates that the problem is with Gigaclear's connectivity to the rest of the Internet - this means you can save a lot of time checking your own equipment, having engineer appointments etc.

Associate
I’ve got the linksys Velop mesh system and see 460mbps down and up on an iPhone 11 Pro. Never seen 800 etc. One thing that did affect it was having device prioritisation on as it reduces throughput to leave some left over and is based on the speed test the velop from the app, Rather than prioritising packets. This won’t help though if you can’t get the full speed via a cable into the router.

Associate
OP
Gigaclear are saying my modem is Bridged now cant get in contact with there support team
spoke to linksys and they were very helpful they done some tests and said the modem should not be bridged

I don't know to Bridge or not to bridge that is the question
how do I check or change this? there's only a wall box with a single ethernet cable coming out

Associate
I get the full gig up and down on a wired pc. My fibre comes in and connects to a top link router in wan mode. I then plug the velop into a switch which connects to the tp link router.

im not with giga clear though.

Back
Top Bottom