Gigaclear router details

Associate
My ex boss lives outside a small village and has a sub 1mbs ADSL connection. As part of the rural broadband initiative he is now getting a 300mbs Gigaclear FTTH connection and I am planning his revised network.

I intend to use Ubiquiti kit to provide full WiFi and I am trying to get details of the Gigaclear router so I can plan the configuration. Their web site is remarkably unhelpful.

Can anyone provide the following please:
- The make and model of the supplied router
- The default internal IP address of the router
- The default DHCP range of the router
- Configuration details to allow 3 incoming ports to be forwarded to CCTV equipment on a specified internal address.

A full manual would be ideal if it is available.

Many thanks in advance.

Soldato
We have a couple of our customers that have these lines.

DRG 7820 is the kit they ship it seems, internal default IP of 192.168.1.254.

I can't confirm the DHCP range as all these customers have different routers (enterprise kit), but I reckon you'd be safe to assume you're going to be in a subnet of 192.168.1.0/24.

If I'm honest, the Web GUI for these is awful but then again, it's a domestic router so what else would you expect.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses.

Avalon - that manual only covers basic user installation and connectivity. They seem to avoid posting any useful information.

Hyburnate - that is useful for planning. I agree the DHCP range is probably /24 but I would want to restrict that or set up some fixed leases. I am told that I can set up port forwarding but would like some confirmation (other than a salesman making a sale) that this can be done. All the comments I have seen say the web UI is bad.

Soldato

Avalon - that manual only covers basic user installation and connectivity. They seem to avoid posting any useful information.

Hyburnate - that is useful for planning. I agree the DHCP range is probably /24 but I would want to restrict that or set up some fixed leases. I am told that I can set up port forwarding but would like some confirmation (other than a salesman making a sale) that this can be done. All the comments I have seen say the web UI is bad.
Yes I believe port-forwarding is an ability of the router.

I don't think that the DHCP range will be that entire subnet for obvious reasons. I would expect you can restrict it to an amount.

I assume you also want the ability for static mapping?

Soldato

Was a quick google job, as the oem provided that they probably have other info available now you know who they are and the model :)

Associate
This is the full Installation Guide: https://genexis.eu/content/uploads/2016/03/DRG-7000-Series-Full-Installation-Guide-v1.5-EN.pdf
The installation is normally done by the Gigaclear installation people. They also provide a Linksys WHW0303 Velop Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi box that you connect to the Genexis "router" by a RJ45 cable. Configuration is done via the Linksys Velop app (on your phone). I can't see any reason to replace the Linksys Velop box with any similar one, e.g. NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System with 3Gbps Speed. The Genexis box simply terminates the fibre cable and presents a number of RJ45 ports - there is no account handshake with Gigaclear at all i.e. the fibre is a permanent Internet connection that would be terminated/removed by disconnecting the fibre port in the local "green box" or back at their "exchange".

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It is amusing that they have finally given in and started to supply a wifi solution. I have GC myself and honestly the wifi within the supplied Genexis router is borderline unusable. I barely get a signal outside of my utility room where the router resides. Thankfully i have a structured network (with meraki APs around the house) and never needed it, but i was surprised that it was ever the solution offered to the general public.

Caporegime
Especially as it's a combined ONT which tends to get installed low down on the wall on one edge of a house

Soldato
he is now getting a 300mbs Gigaclear FTTH connection
Has he actually got it, yet?

GigaClear have been "coming soon" to our area for about four years, now. There has been fibre cable fully laid along my road, complete with connection pots outside every property, for the past two years.
Every time I check their webshite, it goes one step back... from almost ready, to being constructed, to arriving soon, and is now merely 'working to extend to your area'...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^ we had this for a good 12 months or so. It did eventually go live around 12 months ago and is a very good network as it turns out, I’ve never seen any congestion and it always performs at 940/940 as per the screenshot above.

Luckily we were already on 80/20 FTtc and had g.fast on the way too, so I wasn’t chomping at the bit for it (although I did order literally immediately when it went live as I am geeky like that!)

Back
Top Bottom