Gigaworks T40 stopped working

Associate
I have an old set of Gigaworks T40 that have served me well for many years. I recently moved them to a new house and they have stopped working entirely. I have a feeling the power adapter may have gone kaput. The speakers turn on but don't produce any sounds only the occasional electrical clicking noise.

How can i test if the fault is in the power supply or speakers? It takes a 27V DC jack in.

Soldato
It's probably either the speakers or the PSU; but have you tried connecting them to another source, like a smartphone? Best to rule out the source being the problem first.

If it's definitely the speakers or PSU, then I doubt there is any other way than to buy a suitable replacement PSU and try it.

Associate
OP
Thanks Marsman. Yes I have tried the audio from my phone and the PC to make sure it wasn't the source.

I don't want to buy a replacement power supply and find out its actually the speakers that are not working. May end up just buying new set of speakers. These are 10 years old now.

Soldato
Without finding some adjustable voltage power supply likely harder to find power supply for them.
But because speakers get power would look elsewhere for fault at least if multimeter gives correct voltage.

Unless speakers were handled roughly during moving suspect some cheap capacitors in bad shape might have simply "cooled permanently".
Ironically while higher temperature shortens life of electrolytic capacitors heat can keep bad caps just functioning enough for device to start.

Associate
OP
I used a multimeter to check the PSU had a voltage and its does. Which must mean the speakers are dead :(

Thanks for the suggestions davidmt. Although I'm going to upgrade to a all round Hi-Fi with bluetooth instead.

Back
Top Bottom