Giggsy, one of the greatest ??

Associate
The thing is I don't think you can truly name the greatest player that has played in the Premiership. You could argue the majority of Shearer's goals won nothing and did nothing for the team he was playing for. But if I had to choose the best goalscorer from the Premiership it would be him hands down. I think you'd need to break it down to best goalkeeper, best defender and best midfielder and best striker because each has a certain role to play for a team. And afterall football is a team game.

Man of Honour
elroberto said:
Well everyone's entitled to an opinion, even those in the minority. ;)
I'll admit to being in the minority too in that case:)
Given the option of either player in their prime in my team I'd take Shearer. Always gave everything, never went missing as Giggs regularly did & knew how to fight when needed. Both were blessed with immense skills (different ones of course) but you just knew with Shearer in your side you had a chance:)

Permabanned
abruzz1 said:
best goalkeeper, best defender and best midfielder and best striker because each has a certain role to play for a team. And afterall football is a team game.

Agreed, Peter Schmeichel, Tony Adams, Roy Keane, Alan Shearer

Thread closed.

Nor

Nor

Associate
I had huge admiration for Giggs, but it was soured a little when he dived against my team in the CL this year earning his side a penalty.

A cracking player though, and one which seems to have reached his peak late in his career.

Soldato
OP
JohnnyG said:
I'll admit to being in the minority too in that case:)
Given the option of either player in their prime in my team I'd take Shearer. Always gave everything, never went missing as Giggs regularly did & knew how to fight when needed. Both were blessed with immense skills (different ones of course) but you just knew with Shearer in your side you had a chance:)

When has Giggs gone missing in games :confused:

You must be getting him confused with Lampard who went missing for his summer holidays last year. Whilst all his chums were out in Germany he certainly was on another planet :p

Associate
Nor said:
I had huge admiration for Giggs, but it was soured a little when he dived against my team in the CL this year earning his side a penalty.

A cracking player though, and one which seems to have reached his peak late in his career.

He did his hamstring and was taken off a few minutes later and missed 3 weeks of football so no he did not dive.

Associate
Randell Floyd said:
Oh and I too am Welsh, and although he never gave 100% for the team, he did chose Wales over England, and we have a terrible squad for him too play with :p Mind you that never bothered the likes of Rush and Hughes who gave 110% ever game, but it's not really a big matter for myself.

Perhaps a better comparison would be Gary Speed, who for me is the ultimate professional (for club and country) and is every bit as good a footballer as Ryan Giggs is/was.

Gary really is a living legend of the premiership and for Wales

Man of Honour
Spider said:
Perhaps a better comparison would be Gary Speed, who for me is the ultimate professional (for club and country) and is every bit as good a footballer as Ryan Giggs is/was.

Gary really is a living legend of the premiership and for Wales
...and has also scored in every season of the Prem :)

Nor

Nor

Associate
abruzz1 said:
He did his hamstring and was taken off a few minutes later and missed 3 weeks of football so no he did not dive.

I know he did his hammy, but it was a dive for the pen. Did his hammy as he went down apparently. Linky for video.

Soldato
Gilly said:
LOL

Right now you could sell Lampard and buy three Giggs'

Riiight. You have missed my point completely. If I had to pick one of the two players for their ability I would pick Giggs. There is no financial point to what I said, just the fact of who I would rather have.

Lampard was a good player, but over the past two seasons he's just turned into an average Joe. Amazing, he does OK in the Chelsea team, who wouldn't? The difference is you could replace Lampard with dead wood and not notice, whereas if you did the same for Giggs, you would miss him hugely.

Clearly Giggs is a great player, and Lampard is not. Lampard will not reach Giggs' trohpy haul, even with Chelsea's infinite spending power.

I am quite baffled by the argument anyhow, I mean Lampard should not even be in the England starting 11, Gerrard is a much superior player and it does not work with the two, so chose the better. That confuses me as to why there is any arguement for Lampard against Giggs?

Associate
He did it just before his collision with Boruc. I agree with you that it shouldn't have been a penalty but Giggs is not the sort of player who goes around diving for penalties. I think the injury came as a bit of a shock to him as throughout his career whenever he's pulled a hamstring, it's always been his left. This was the first time he had ever done his right. The injury and the falling to the ground had nothing to do with the minimal contact with the keeper. The referee was wrong to award the penalty. But Giggs did not dive, well imo. :)

Permabanned
Gilly said:
Whats daft is the word genius. Whats daft is the fact that he hasn't done it on the world stage. Whats daft is saying you don't think Gerrard or Lampard will get anywhere near the trophies Giggs has. They've got a lot of years on him.
Can you please define 'World Stage', as it is my firm belief that aside from possibly the World Cup/Continental Cups, International Level is of a lower standard than the Champions League and in some cases the Premiership. I'm not sure when Lampard has ever proved himself on the 'World Stage' either, and I'm also not sure where Lampard is going to find 6 Premiership Titles, 4 FA Cups, and a Champions League in the 5 or so years he has left.

Nor

Nor

Associate
abruzz1 said:
He did it just before his collision with Boruc. I agree with you that it shouldn't have been a penalty but Giggs is not the sort of player who goes around diving for penalties. I think the injury came as a bit of a shock to him as throughout his career whenever he's pulled a hamstring, it's always been his left. This was the first time he had ever done his right. The injury and the falling to the ground had nothing to do with the minimal contact with the keeper. The referee was wrong to award the penalty. But Giggs did not dive, well imo. :)

There was no contact with the keeper Abruzz. He went down as if touched by the keeper. If you watch it on the vid you'll see it. It's blatently obvious.

Associate
Nor said:
There was no contact with the keeper Abruzz. He went down as if touched by the keeper. If you watch it on the vid you'll see it. It's blatently obvious.

I'll agree to disagree. I've seen players doing the most ridiculous somersaults and forward splashes doing their hamstrings even with no one near them. Giggs was no different, except the place he did it. The penalty shouldn't have been awarded but Giggs didn't dive. Look at his face as soon as he sits up on the ground, he looks mightily ****ed off because he knows he has done his hamstring. (I'm watching a slightly longer version on youtube). His eyes don't leave the ball either.

Nor

Nor

Associate
abruzz1 said:
I'll agree to disagree. I've seen players doing the most ridiculous somersaults and forward splashes doing their hamstrings even with no one near them. Giggs was no different, except the place he did it. The penalty shouldn't have been awarded but Giggs didn't dive. Look at his face as soon as he sits up on the ground, he looks mightily ****ed off because he knows he has done his hamstring. (I'm watching a slightly longer version on youtube). His eyes don't leave the ball either.

We'll have to agree to disagree them like you say. Perhaps we both have a wee bit of inherant bias in watching the incident.

Back
Top Bottom