Giggsy, one of the greatest ??

Don
SpeedFreak said:
Does anyone actually believe that International football is of a higher standard than the prem?
Difficult to compare the PL with internations because of the range in quality in both forms, but i would say that the top Champions League sides would beat most if not all of the top 10 national sides.

Associate
giggs will always be a great player imo, was best left winger in world for a very long period, had great feet, dribbling skills were second to none and an eye for goal (a record of 1 in every 5 for a winger is an impressive career statistic considering 700 games), he also scored many vital goals for united to, juventus 99 first leg to draw the tie, fa cup semi final etc.
he may have not hit the international scene in his career but i think he was hampered with the team he was playing in (no dirispect for wales). The fact that is been widely said if giggs had choosen to play for england we would have silverware says a lot about the player.
and theres no contest giggs > lampard

Caporegime
Gilly said:
Whats daft is the word genius. Whats daft is the fact that he hasn't done it on the world stage. Whats daft is saying you don't think Gerrard or Lampard will get anywhere near the trophies Giggs has. They've got a lot of years on him.
What is daft is commenting on a player not being a genius because he hasn't performed on a world stage when it's been pretty much impossible for Wales to get into a major competition, however, when Wales played Italy (the World Champions lest we forget), Giggs was the best player on the pitch against a team of 11 VERY good players who all play for top-class sides.

I would argue that Giggs, in every major game for Wales, against little or large opposition has shone and proven that he can infact play against the top-opposition and in most cases, out-class them.

He's won every league team competition bar the UEFA Cup and thats only because we've been in the Champions League every year for the last decade.

EVERY challenge Giggs has faced at every level he has risen to the task. For me and a lot of others, I would say he's the greatest player ever to not play in the World Cup finals.

Also, by your argument, would you say that by someone never playing in a World Cup they can't be a great player, was Shevchenko not a great striker prior to the '06 World Cup?

Some of your arguments are purely bizarre sometimes, although predictable.

Soldato
Ripper^ said:
Gerrard isn't going to win 1 premiership title let alone 8, and Lampard won't get anywhere near Giggs' trophy count either.

Agreed, but I believe Gerrard is a superior player to Lampard. And Lampard will not get near Giggs' trophy haul, I'm glad we agree :)

Soldato
Gilly said:
[Gary Speed]...and has also scored in every season of the Prem :)
So has Giggs. :confused:
Randell Floyd said:
Oh and I too am Welsh, and although he never gave 100% for the team, he did chose Wales over England, and we have a terrible squad for him too play with :p
First, my condolences on being Welsh. :p Secondly, Giggs could never have played for England.

As for the Giggs, Lampard and Gerrard debate, they're all great players, but trying to compare them is ludicrous. They all have different abilities and attributes, which make them great players, but they play very different games. Having said that though, if I had to choose to watch a game with any of them in, I'd pick Giggs. Watching someone take on two or three players and beating them is what gets people off their arse's and standing up.

Soldato
Because it was a list of things praising Gary Speed, and I assumed 'also' meant you were adding to the list. Your point didn't come across to me very well, that's all.

Man of Honour
Mr_L said:
Because it was a list of things praising Gary Speed, and I assumed 'also' meant you were adding to the list. Your point didn't come across to me very well, that's all.
Well if you read the thread the fact that Giggs has scored in every season is already covered, so I didn't realise I needed to do so as well.

Permabanned
Ripper^ said:
Gerrard isn't going to win 1 premiership title let alone 8, and Lampard won't get anywhere near Giggs' trophy count either.

I know, what a ridiculous comment by Gilly.

Does he actually mean it? Or maybe he said it for sake of drawing attention?

Soldato
I couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread, too much crap. And you didn't have to say Giggs is the only other player to do it to, it just confuzzled me slightly. :)

Man of Honour
Chrisss said:
I know, what a ridiculous comment by Gilly.

Does he actually mean it? Or maybe he said it for sake of drawing attention?
What would I want to draw attention to? Certainly not myself, I get more than enough already from wannabe trolls.

Its hardly ridiculous, Lampard has as good a chance as anyone at claiming the biggest haul of trophies over the next few years.

Man of Honour
Obviously I'm not saying he's going to win more Prem titles :rolleyes:

However, he'll win 3 or 4 more league titles I'm fairly sure, plus the cups he'll win in that time. The amount of silverware will be sizeable.

Permabanned
What I am saying is that the only trophy that Lampard has won worth noting is the Premier League trophy(twice).

Go and look what Giggs had achieved by the age of 28.

Last edited:
Associate
BaZ87 said:
Yea and got 1/4 of the wage he's on at Utd ;)

BTW not saying he's not loyal, just that its easy to be loyal when your playing at a successful club, getting payed top money and the only move would be to a lesser club or abroad (where, in general, british players aren't successful and don't seem to want to go) and be on less money. No real way of determining his loyalty as its hardly been tested, just have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

quarter of the wage? Inter milan were after him for years when he was in his prime. I cant see them offering a quarter of his man utd wage to be honest

I cant see lampard ever coming close to giggsys trophy haul. But i dont see why their being compared anyway. Lampard is a central midfielder, giggs plays on the wing, How anyone is comparing their goals to appearences ratio is a bit stupid.

Last edited:
Don
arc_of_time_ said:
quarter of the wage? Inter milan were after him for years when he was in his prime. I cant see them offering a quarter of his man utd wage to be honest
Read the post i was responding to.
Steedie said that he had the chance to leave a couple of seasons back when he wasn't getting in the side and Steedie said he could have easily joined a lesser side. All i was saying is that had he left to join a lesser side he would have got 1/4 of the wage he was on at Utd.

Associate
BaZ87 said:
Read the post i was responding to.
Steedie said that he had the chance to leave a couple of seasons back when he wasn't getting in the side and Steedie said he could have easily joined a lesser side. All i was saying is that had he left to join a lesser side he would have got 1/4 of the wage he was on at Utd.

i see - maybe i should actually read posts rather than scan through lol :p - i apolgise

Back
Top Bottom