Giraffe Tries to Stronglift!

Soldato
OP
Wednesday

SQ: 5x5 37.5Kg

OHP: 5x5 27.5Kg

DL: 3x5 55Kg (Blame MoNkeE for the extra sets)

Chin up: 2x10 1x6 BW (I blame MoNkeE for tiring me with extra sets :p )

Today's video:
First, second and last sets.

Observations are I think my bracing goes towards the end of the sets,
I think I should take a moment at the top of each squat to re-assess everything, make certain I'm set.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Monday

SQ: 5x5 42.5Kg

OHP: 5x5 30Kg

DL: 3x5 60Kg

Dip: 3x5 BW+5Kg

OHP is starting to get hard, I can feel my arms tiring towards the end of the sets.
No video today, person in the rack next to me didn't want to appear in the shot, fair enough.

27.5kg dumbbell bench is strong!!
Not even my best with the dumbells :p but I never used to do 5x5 reps, so it's my best for that rep range

Soldato
OP
Wednesday

SQ: 5x5 45Kg

BP: 5x5 57.5Kg

ROW: 5x5 42.5Kg

Chin Up: 2x10 1x3 BW (Not sure about these, I used to do chin ups a'plenty in my other workout, I reckon I'm just tired out)

Videos:
Squat, bit dodgy with the left knee I reckon, I feel it's going well:

Row,
Video'd it because I'm getting concerned that I've never looked at my other exercise's forms.

Any advice welcome.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wednesday

SQ: 5x5 50Kg

BP: 5x5 60Kg

ROW: 5x5 45Kg

Dips: 4x5 7.25kg + BW (The plan has 3x5, thought I'd do another as I had a bit of time)

No vids, busy gym

Squat's feeling heavy each time. weight's catching up with me

Soldato
OP
Friday

SQ: 5x5 52.25Kg

OHP: 5x5 35Kg

DL: 3x5 70Kg

Chin-Up: 10-6-5 BW (I don't know what's going on with my chin ups ....)

So, Videos. My phone was in someone's way at the start so that's what that is.

Deadlift.....Last set, man 70 feels heavy, I don't know if I'm getting this right as at this weight I'm trying my best to think while lifting......but it's hard haha

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm absolutely no expert but the deads look ok. I like to hip hinge and then grab the bar rather than bar first but you get into a decent position for the first rep. Keep thinking hips down but your hips and shoulders move at the same time which is usually a good cue.

Soldato
OP
I'm absolutely no expert but the deads look ok. I like to hip hinge and then grab the bar rather than bar first but you get into a decent position for the first rep. Keep thinking hips down but your hips and shoulders move at the same time which is usually a good cue.
Thanks,
I'm always concerned about my Deads after the Squat, don't wanna get hurt.

Monday

SQ: 5x5 55Kg

BP: 5x5 62.5Kg

ROW: 5x5 47.5Kg

DIPS: 3x5 BW + 10Kg

No Video, Squat racks were all taken. So I had to use one of those free standing stands? dunno their name.
Was pretty ****** coz when I came through to the main room to do bench, a guys stuff was still at a rack and he was no where to be seen. After a couple of sets on the bench guy appears, only to pick up his stuff.... .re-rack the weights and bog off......
ffs....

Soldato
OP
Wednesday

SQ: 5x5 57.5Kg

OHP: 5x5 37.5Kg

DL: 3x5 75Kg (first >BW lift! also, first one that SL asks for a DL warmup, so I'd done 5 @ 60Kg before)

ChinUps: 10-7-6 BW Going up......not perfect

Videos:

Right leg's a bit iffy..... need to get focused on 'pushing out' and getting knees in the right place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just checked in on your thread and read back over the last few weeks, and very happy to see you've added the extra sets on the deadlifts! After your initial response I thought it'd be a lost cause trying to teach you, but now you've given it a try, how do you feel?

Soldato
OP
Just checked in on your thread and read back over the last few weeks, and very happy to see you've added the extra sets on the deadlifts! After your initial response I thought it'd be a lost cause trying to teach you, but now you've given it a try, how do you feel?

Well I thought you had some good points, also getting more reps helped me to get more confidence in the technique as the weights getting heavier.
I'd say that it's one of my favorite lifts, as the numbers are nice and high :p , but also it feels good and heavy but the first set is always no trouble so I feel good about myself haha

Soldato
OP
Friday

Well...... Today felt Damn heavy.
After the second set, I doubted I would finish.....I'm blaming friday, and maybe playing football on Wed...

SQ: 5x5 60Kg

BP: 5x5 65Kg

ROW: 5x5 55Kg

Dips: 3x5 BW + 12Kg (couldn't get a 10+1.25Kg plate, there was a 12Kg kettle)

Soldato
OP
Monday

Well now, this was some hard stuff for me.
First time not making a set!! also some shaky leged form.....

SQ: 5x5 62.5Kg

OHP: 5/5/4/5/4 40Kg (Last rep, take a breath.....bar doesn't move.....)

Now MoNkeE will be sad with me but:
DL: 1x5 @60Kg
1x5 @70Kg
1x6 @80Kg (I lost freaking count.......)
Time took it's toll today and I only did one set of the 80Kg...... I should have done more, and looking back I probably could have made it fit :(

ChinUps: 10/8/7 BW (It's going up in reps.....I'll get there :p )

Videos:

Squats; Ankles rolling in on the first set :/ Tried to focus on stopping this for the rest of the sets.
Last set I'm going too low, thought I wouldn't get back up at one point!

Deadlift; First set 60Kg, last 80kg I feel I'm doing better to get the bar going on a straighter path going down. Lost count on the last set, I'm blaming the re-setup, so did an extra rep haha

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wednesday

Now, I feel that today went fantastic.
Squats felt strong, had a moment on the third set, second rep, where it felt like there was no weight on my back...... dunno if I just finally got the technique nailed for that rep.... who knows.
Today also had some bad news, failed last row rep :( went up, but didn't touch my chest so I'm not counting it.

SQ: 5x5 65Kg

BP: 5x5 67.5Kg

ROW: 4x5 1x4 57.5Kg

DIPS: 3x5 BW + 12.5Kg

No video's, busy gym today. No space to setup camera

Soldato
OP
Friday

Well....... today was a bit balls to be honest.....
So, failed my OHP again :(
Squats were shaking like a leaf.
And pretty sure deadlifts are shocking too..... IMO backs rounding, not moving smoothly more like standing then a good morning.
Maybe need my hips lower ?.....

Anyhoo:

SQ: 5x5 67.5Kg

OHP: 5/5/5/4/4 40Kg

DL:
5 @ 60Kg
5 @ 72.5Kg
2x5 @ 85Kg (Time....always time :( )

Chin ups: 3x5 BW +1.25Kg (Stronglifts says it's time for weight.)

Vids:
My comment as above, any and all other comments welcome:

Last edited:
Soldato
Those squats were grinders :) Well done for getting through them and almost getting 40x5x5 at OHP is really good! Deadlifts - your hips are popping up before anything else. I like to think about lifting my toes off the ground and really push through my heels which can help as a cue.

Back
Top Bottom