Goal of the Tournament **SPOILERS**

Soldato
If he had got it in, then Luca's chance where he hits the bar in the first game would have been the best by far...

But as it didnt go in, i'd have to say either Kaka's or Rosickys. :p

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
Cole's goal > Maxi's. He's further out and he looked to where he wanted to put it. Maxi just hit it and hoped.

Maxi's goal > Cole's. He's further out, smacked it and got very lucky. Cole just hit it and hoped.

That's more like it.

I defy anyone who has played the game to say that Joe Cole's goal was a better strike than Maxi Rodriguez's. Lets wait and see what the ex pro's think when the BBC and ITV decide on their goal of the tournament.

Man of Honour
I've played it and I say it was. Cole was aiming for where his went, and there's no way Maxi was further out. He's right on the edge of the box and Cole's a good 8 yards outside it!

Soldato
I do agree that Cole's goal was quite a bit further out, but that is not the only factor to decide which is better. From that kind of distance the only aiming you do is basically in hoping it will go one side of the keeper or the other. Also, Cole hit it straight on, which is by far the easiest volley to perform in football. I would be surprised if most people couldn't set themselves up with a straight volley and hit it with some degree of accuracy.

The skill involved for Maxi Rodriguez to even get the ball into a position he could strike it from was awesome, then there's the fact that he hit it side on, and it went in.

Maybe someone will score a goal that beats both of them hands down, I hope so.

Soldato
Originally posted by Clerkin
that usually helps

lol, that was stating the obvious a little wasn't it.

I meant it in respect to the fact that given all that he had done just to get the ball under control, he could still have easily sent it into the stands.

Soldato
Maxi Rodriguez.

He had to hit right to the back post at an angle. Whereas when you look at Cole's goal, the keeper was quite a bit off his line so it was in some respects easier to score. Both very good goals nonetheless

Soldato
Maxi's goal was very good. He was facing slightly away from goal when he struck the ball so his technique was superb. It was very much a hit and hope though for me... The way he controlled the ball on his chest from a pass received from so far away too was as good as you'll see. Cole's was further out but I just can't decide which strike was better.

My favourite goal was Ronaldo's against Japan. His second. Brilliant finish and an awesome way to hit back at your critics. Also loved his goal yesterday where he put the keeper on his arse with a stepover and rolled it in. Reminded me of his goal I think in the UEFA Cup final for Inter Milan where he put the keeper on his arse again. Brilliant :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't any shot that is hit from distance hit and hope? Clearly when you hit a shot from range you will have a corner in mind that you are aiming for, but there is no guarantee it will be on target, let alone go in.

To use Gerrard's second goal in the FA Cup final as an example, whilst it is obvious to say that Gerrard was the only player on the pitch capable of being successful with such an attempt, even he would not be able find the back off the net every time if put in the same situation.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
My favourite goal was Ronaldo's against Japan. His second. Brilliant finish and an awesome way to hit back at your critics. Also loved his goal yesterday where he put the keeper on his arse with a stepover and rolled it in. Reminded me of his goal I think in the UEFA Cup final for Inter Milan where he put the keeper on his arse again. Brilliant :)
Vintage Ronaldo goal that was, really glad he pulled it off, as the defender almost got to it.

As for the Inter goal, i believe you are on about the body swerve one? where he doesn’t even touch the ball and sends the keeper the wrong way and falling on his arse. Something he perfected.

As for Joe Cole’s goal, the keeper should have had that, if you watch it closely the keeper was already inside the goal, if he kept the line he would have it covered. Rodriguez goal is better, partly due to its importance.

Soldato
Aiming for somewhere and getting it is fine.

Aiming in the general direction of the goal like Maxi is a hit-and-hope.

There's no difference between the two. In any shot the ideal place to send the ball is to the top or bottom corner, at least in terms of increasing it's chances of going in. Most either go wide, over or are saved. Cole and Rodriguez's goal happen to be 2 examples where the ball went in pretty much the perfect spot. That's not to say either one of them could do it again if the same situation occurred.

It's a little strange that Cole doesn't score 30-40 yards screamers every game, which you would expect from a player whose shot is so accurate he can pick out the top corner from 35 yards at will.

Man of Honour
Saying that he can do it every time is as daft as saying Maxi's wasn't hit and hope.

At least Cole looked at where he wanted to put it, he didn't just blindly hit it.

Soldato
I never said Maxi's goal wasn't hit and hope, that's kind of my point, they both are. As are all long range efforts in a way, having an idea where you want the ball to go doesn't mean it will end up there.

I'm not sure your point about Cole looking up is relevant. From his position on the pitch and the space he had, you would expect him to have a quick look at where the goal was before he struck it. With Maxi Rodriguez's goal he would already have a good idea where the goal was without looking due to his position, just on the edge of the area. He also had a lot less time to look up. Despite that I would imagine it went in pretty much as he hoped it would when striking it, as did Cole's. If anything I would give more credit to Rodriguez because he did hit it blindly and still managed to find the top corner.

Soldato
So no skill was involved? No technique? To control the ball into a striking position in the first place was supreme skill. Cole's goal was decent, but I have seen and can imagine any number of players scoring such a goal, it's basically an optimistic shot that ended up going in. The number of players in the world I think would have the ability to score the gaol that Rodriguez did, I struggle to count on one hand.

I'm thinking we're just not gonna agree...

Man of Honour
Stop putting words into my mouth. I didn't say no skill or technique was required (though no more than Cole's setup for his goal).

However, the finish itself (the important bit when talking about a good goal) was pure fluke. Millions of people have the potential to score with that finish. I've done it myself (though with my right not my left). Swing a boot and hope it goes in.

Back
Top Bottom