Goal of the Tournament **SPOILERS**

Soldato
Maxi's goal was good, but it was definitely more hit and hope than Cole's. He's already admitted that his left foot is his swinger and he tries not to use it. That makes it even more hit and hope because he will have less technique and control with it.

Soldato
Originally Posted by Gilly
Stop putting words into my mouth. I didn't say no skill or technique was required (though no more than Cole's setup for his goal).

However, the finish itself (the important bit when talking about a good goal) was pure fluke. Millions of people have the potential to score with that finish. I've done it myself (though with my right not my left). Swing a boot and hope it goes in.

I didn't put words into your mouth, you just seem to be disregarding the skill element of the goal and judging it solely on the luck which any strike from distance needs to go in.

As for the finish being the important part of a goal, I can think of two straight away which disprove that.

Carlos Alberto's goal for Brazil against Italy, that was a great goal for the teamplay building up to it.

Maradona's second against England, that was a great goal for the fact that he ripped so many players before scoring. The finish was nothing more than a side foot into the open net.

Both of these goals regularly come in the top 3 greatest World Cup goals ever, and in both cases the actual finish was the least important part in terms of it being classed a great goal.

Maybe you are right and everyone else who is saying Maxi's goal was better is wrong :)

Associate
To those who keep saying Maxi just 'hit and hoped' - well, he hit the ball and hoped it would go into thet net. Joe Cole also hit the ball and and hoped it would go into the net unless I am otherwise mistaken. Oh wait :rolleyes: He hit the ball and knew it was going in...

Soldato
Rollyeyesboy said:
To those who keep saying Maxi just 'hit and hoped' - well, he hit the ball and hoped it would go into thet net. Joe Cole also hit the ball and and hoped it would go into the net unless I am otherwise mistaken. Oh wait :rolleyes: He hit the ball and knew it was going in...
I don't think anyone has said that Joe Cole didn't hit and hope. People are saying that Maxi's was more hit and hope for various reasons. Like Gilly said, Cole looked up to see where to hit it and Maxi just swung his left (weakest) leg at it without looking at the goal.

Soldato
Originally Posted by 5tephen
To those who keep saying Maxi just 'hit and hoped' - well, he hit the ball and hoped it would go into thet net. Joe Cole also hit the ball and and hoped it would go into the net unless I am otherwise mistaken. Oh wait He hit the ball and knew it was going in...

Spot on.

Originally Posted by Mr L
I don't think anyone has said that Joe Cole didn't hit and hope. People are saying that Maxi's was more hit and hope for various reasons. Like Gilly said, Cole looked up to see where to hit it and Maxi just swung his left (weakest) leg at it without looking at the goal.

Nobody has said Cole didn't hit and hope, but to criticise one goal for being hit and hope when that's what all long range efforts are makes no sense. So Maxi took a swing and got lucky, doesn't mean any random player could do it. Is there nothing to be said for instinctively knowing where the net is? And Cole's goal was lucky to go in anyway, the keeper got a hand to it and should really have saved it.

Lampard as an example is generally regarded to have a good shot on him, yet he has not scored from 21 efforts. If he looks up, shoots and scores a 30 yards screamer from his next shot, will that not be hit and hope considering his success rate would then be 1 in 22?

Any effort from outside the box has a high chance of not being a goal, to devalue the ones that do go in because on another day they wouldn't is stupid.

Soldato
wedgie22 said:
Nobody has said Cole didn't hit and hope, but to criticise one goal for being hit and hope when that's what all long range efforts are makes no sense.
We're not criticising it for being hit and hope, we're critising it because it was on his weaker foot and he didn't look to see where the goal is. This means he had less control over the shot, meaning there was less skill involved.

Anyway lets just agree to disagree. :)

Associate
It's really bad how two goals have led to 2 or 3 pages of conversation :o
As a couple of others have said in this thread already, hopefully another goal comes along that totally wipes the floor with every goal scored so far. Maybe a right-footed belter by Maxi from 35 yards, who knows ;) *runs*

Soldato
Originally Posted by Mr L
we're critising it because it was on his weaker foot and he didn't look to see where the goal is. This means he had less control over the shot, meaning there was less skill involved.

Anyway lets just agree to disagree.

We're gonna have to it seems, tho on 1 last point, I don't see how someone shooting with their weeker foot into the top corner without physically looking where the target was, can be described as taking less skill to do than if he had used his stronger foot. Either way, once you get in and around the penalty area you do have a good idea of where you are in relation to the goals. I have actually heard many times on programmes such as MOTD players being praised for hitting the ball intstinctively without needing to look up first, i've never known people to say it devalues the goal :confused:

Originally Posted by 5tephen
It's really bad how two goals have led to 2 or 3 pages of conversation
As a couple of others have said in this thread already, hopefully another goal comes along that totally wipes the floor with every goal scored so far. Maybe a right-footed belter by Maxi from 35 yards, who knows *runs*

lol, yes I did try to defuse the argument with that suggestion, hasn't really worked tho has it. I must say I wonder how many people are backing Cole's goal due to the fact he plays for England? I'm not saying everyone is but i'm sure that must be the case with some people. Message to Wayne Ronney: We need you to score another wonder goal asap!! :) (preferably a right footed volley from 40 yards out. ps try and make sure you look up before hitting it.)

Associate
Gilly said:

What is the need for that? Anyone in the right mind would know that to be true. The amount of showings Joe Cole's goal got on english TV compared to Maxi's is ridiculous, and it's just because Cole is English. And of course in BBC's goal of the tournament, whenever it comes, Cole's goal ranking will be above Maxi's for the same reason and you could pretty much hold me to that.

Back
Top Bottom