Going on my first "proper big" journey alone today... eek!

Caporegime
OP
Well, the sun is shining and I can't sit here waiting for 12pm an longer, I feekl the urge to get out in the sunshine and drive, even if it does mean I get there early. Guess I can just have longer rest-breaks instead.

Wish me luck and a safe journey folks, have a good weekend. :)

Associate
agw_01 said:
I did 450 miles to a tank (40 litres) in my 220 the other week. Most of the way I was driving at 70mph, but had the odd 'FLOOR IT' moment.

51MPG from a 2 litre petrol? are you sure?

In my 306 1.6, i could get 450 miles but that used a minimum of 48-49 litres, which is around 42MPG. Was more like 52-53 litres for 450 miles usually.

In my Jag, i have a 70 litre tank (at least) and i don't think i could break 350 miles on a tank. But oh well, it's worth it :D

To the OP: Best of luck on the journey. On my first long journey, i dropped my Dad off at heathrow and drove back in pouring rain and heavy traffic on the M25, turned off accidentally and ended up lost, on my own in terrible weather. Ended up in Luton (was heading to Cambridge) and only realised where i was when i saw the Vauxhall factory lol.

I'm sure yours will be much better. :) Its good that you are taking plenty of precautions/preparations.

Last edited:
Soldato
The tank is probably 45 litres, not 40.

I forgot that the fuel I put in wasn't quite £1 a litre, and I put £40 in.

Still, I was very impressed with the economy. I'm lucky to see 70 miles from a tenner when driving normally.

I think my worst has been 20 miles from £10 :D That fuel gauge can't half shift when you (don't) want it to.

Actually, thinking about it, I put 43.something litres in, and there was a little bit in the tank previously. :)

Soldato
Its an easy drive to be honest. Stick it on the M1 and you will drive straight into Leeds via the M621. Leeds itself is a bit of a nightmare if you dont know it though, as is every city I suppose, but the tomtom shoudl help massively. Just drive slowly so the tomtom has time to recalculate if you miss a turning.

I drove my first longish trip with the tomtom on tuesday, from Harrogate to Stafford, which is 120 miles on A roads and about 6 motorways and it was a revelation. I'm used to navigating by paper based turnings and junctions, but the thing that grabbed me about the tomtom is the real time update of your position so you can actually visualize the road layout ahead, which is great on spagetti motorway junctions.

I love long journeys by myself. Chance to chill out and listen to my own choice of music for a few hours. Just make sure you have breakdown cover and remember to put the number in your fully charged mobile (piece of mind helps you relax a lot). Check levels and tyres etc, and dont forget your CD's/MP3 player etc!

Suspended
Richdog said:
Well, been two years since i've seen some of my best friends form uni and am today taking a road trip from East Grinstead in West Sussex to Leeds (Headingley) to see them. However, considering the furthest i've ever driven is about an hour and a bit to Bluewater shopping centre this is a mammoth 4 hour and 250 mile journey.

Yesterday Ipurchased a Tom Tom One using £100 worth of No competitors!! FF. vouchers + cash so that should be a major weapon in my aresenal against ending up in Wales. I've done a bit of motorway driving now and am comfortable, calm and pretty sensible while driving on them in busy traffic.

Any essential tips for a young man before making this epic pilgrimage? :)

Hey I get the east grinstead train home from work some days ;) (depending what time i get to london bridge)... its stops at Purley.

I loved my first long journeys its a damn site better than being a passenger on a long journey. Motorway driving is a doddle as long as you are always aware who is ahead and who is behind and if in doubt check your blind spot by looking over your shoulder.

One thing about driving to GPS dont trust it TOO much. First time I drove with TomTom was on familiar roads near where I live and I ended up missing give way turnings and not stopping at pedestrian crossings :eek: It was like I was expecting it to tell me... very strange.

dal

dal

Associate
Spend as much money as you've got spare on tinned food, bread & water .Take blankets, quilts & a first aid kit and if possible get a water purification kit - you never know, Oh a dont forget a tin opener, take maps in case your satnav stops working & get a 48 hour weather forcast - Prepare for the worst hope for the best & you'll be okay.
Also check your OIL and WATER.

Permabanned
dal said:
Spend as much money as you've got spare on tinned food, bread & water .Take blankets, quilts & a first aid kit and if possible get a water purification kit - you never know, Oh a dont forget a tin opener, take maps in case your satnav stops working & get a 48 hour weather forcast - Prepare for the worst hope for the best & you'll be okay.

Lol, I don't think that's all necessary.

Caporegime
OP
Well, got there in about 4.5hrs, there were some annoying queues due to some accidents and roadworks. Did it on about 3/4 of a tank too so that wasnt too bad. :)

Permabanned
dal said:

Water purifier?

For **** sake hes only going on a car journey.

Soldato
dal said:

:D

Bes

Bes

Soldato
iCraig said:
Water purifier?

For **** sake hes only going on a car journey.
ahahaha

Ev99McE2.jpg

^^^
Don't worry iCraig he missed the point as well :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well I'm sarcasm personified a lot of the time, but he wrote that like he meant it. Especially having a valid piece of advice at the end too. So I took it at face value.

Last edited:
Soldato
dal said:

LOL. I couldn't work out whether he was joking in some of those bits.

Oh yeah and don't forget a hunting knife or a raft just in case ;)

Back
Top Bottom