Going to university with dyslexia, update after few years

Soldato
I asked a question a few years ago about going to university in my 30s with severe dyslexia and the support I got from this forum eased my stress about going and I just like to say thank you all.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/going-to-university-in-your-30s-o.18830677/

I will be honest myself and my wife thought I would not make it through foundation year because I am not a very academic person at all. But I was doing something that interested me with a goal to achieve and this was my time to do it. (computer networking)

I have just finished my third year/year 2 with a foundation year, I have one more year to go before I get my degree, If I keep on track I could come out with a second or first-class degree and I never thought I would be where I am today a few years ago.

My loving wife for all the support she has given to get me through each year and to keep myself on track with coursework. she has been amazing.

But to anyone who thinks they can't do something, I would say give it try and see how well you do.

My grades result over the years still surprise me and my support adviser at university.

Results.jpg

I will post an update once I finally finish, thank you again.

Associate
Well done!

I also did a four year BSc (one year foundation) as a mature student, and contrary to the norm, it was my first year that was by far and away the hardest. It got much easier once I settled into an academic way of thinking, and I finished with a 2:1 overall. It certainly changed my life for the better.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well done.

I have dyslexia. I got a first and highest ever grades recorded for the course and got student of the year in my final year. I'm now into my last year of my Ph.D. Don't let it hold you back.

Soldato
I have quite bad dyslexia and working memory issues.

I managed to get a 2:2 by picking as many CW modules as I could lol.

Word had spell and grammar check, its all that's needed imo to get a student through degree level.

I have absolutely no idea what all the English language words means (verbs and stuff), never could get it. Yet am able to write papers and reports to masters standard.

Well, as long as they ignore the possible SPAG mistakes

So well done dude. Keep it up, one year to go. Hopefully the last year will be better post covid restrictions.

Soldato
OP
I have quite bad dyslexia and working memory issues.

I managed to get a 2:2 by picking as many CW modules as I could lol.

Word had spell and grammar check, its all that's needed imo to get a student through degree level.

I have absolutely no idea what all the English language words means (verbs and stuff), never could get it. Yet am able to write papers and reports to masters standard.

Well, as long as they ignore the possible SPAG mistakes

So well done dude. Keep it up, one year to go. Hopefully the last year will be better post covid restrictions.

Thank you, I use Microsoft Word and I got the paid version of Grammarly and that has been a big help for my report writing, I only have access to it during term time so I will definitely buy myself after university is over next year.

Been harder only working from home that's for sure, I hope we are back in the classroom in October.

Permabanned
from one dyslexic to another well done .. i'm well beyond the time it was brought into the light .. 55 but these storys make my day ..:)
well that and auto correct .. it's not that we have a problem it's just we see things different than most ..i'm a chef but can strip abike or car down and put it together ...
it's just the writen word thats the problem ..to say i'm chuffed for you is putting it short :)

Caporegime
whats the deal with dyslexia these days? did anyone invent a dyslexia friendly font you use? or is it mostly a processing thing in the brain

Caporegime
whats the deal with dyslexia these days? did anyone invent a dyslexia friendly font you use? or is it mostly a processing thing in the brain

A lot of it is the newer multi media format of education.

It's easier to get audio versions and electronic versions of text books that let you use all sorts of software to help you, rather than just having the coloured transparencies to lay on paper.

Videos let you watch and rewatch verbal presentations and there's lots of captioning options starting now too. So someone who's dyslexia is more auditory can read a spoken lesson and repeat it at will. Instead of falling behind a live lecture or lesson as they can't keep up verbaly.

It's just a lot easier than even a decade or two agao

Back
Top Bottom