Going tubeless - Getting there

Soldato
Last winter I put some sealant into both my inner tubes by removing the valve body. Brilliant, no punctures for ages.

Out on a ride today and I got a puncture - no biggy.

Hoped it would seal but no joy, tyre was slowly going down.

Took the tube out and found a razor sharp flint shard was the culprit, also found 3 other thorns that had sealed fine. Checked the tyre for thorns and fitted my spare inner tube.

Which got me to thinking - had I been able to find and remove the flint shard, the tyre would have sealed. Even tubeless, the worst case would be what I did today anyway.

So, I want to go tubeless. My wheels are tubeless ready as are my tyres. So my questions:

1) I will need rim tape and new tubeless valves (I've got sealant). Does using old inner tube valves (plus a bit of inner tube left attached) actually work?

2) Will the fact that my tyres have already got some puncture holes matter at all? I don't think they have any big punctures, would a puncture repair patch bond to the inside of the tyre?

3) I have a floor pump, but not one with a reservoir. Does the 4 litre fizzy pop bottle hack work, or is it easier just to buy a pump up reservoir?

4) Any suggestions on brands of rim tape and valves?

Cheer all....

Associate
Stans tape and valves for me and their sealant, Maxxis tyres go up with the valve core out, just pump to 50 psi (mtb tyre) till you hear the pleasing pop.
I then pour the sealant in the valve and pump up as normal and do the tubeless dance. Leave for an hour then go for a quick ride.

Did things differently this time, used Bontrager rim strips and Stans valves, same method as above sealed beautifully with a cheap decathlon floor pump.

Caporegime
I've recently put the uberbike ones in, and they're definitely much better than the dt Swiss they've replaced. (or stans that I've used in the past)

Though I ran tube ones I'd cut up in the gravel for ages and they were fine until. I changed tyres and I had to use proper valves.

Soldato
OP
My rims are marked TR. There is some kind of rim tape, will if deffo be tubeless (given the TR label) or will it just be the usual covering tape all rims have?

Is there any way of telling for sure?

Associate
The rim tape is covering the holes in the wheel thus making it tubless ready, you wont need the tape. Best thing I purchased was a tubless tyre injector, stans do one for about £10 pop the tire on then add the sealent in afterwards.. keeps things nice and easy and allows you to top up when required

Soldato
The rim tape is covering the holes in the wheel thus making it tubless ready, you wont need the tape. Best thing I purchased was a tubless tyre injector, stans do one for about £10 pop the tire on then add the sealent in afterwards.. keeps things nice and easy and allows you to top up when required
Doesn't work with the better sealants though.

Regards the tape is it smooth or like fabric tape, of in doubt take the tape off and put tubeless take in, I just use gorilla tape in a thickness that suites the rim width, pull it nice and tight.

Associate
Doesn't work with the better sealants though.

Regards the tape is it smooth or like fabric tape, of in doubt take the tape off and put tubeless take in, I just use gorilla tape in a thickness that suites the rim width, pull it nice and tight.

I've not had any issues yet.. they hold air well with Stans sealent.

I have heard good things about the gorilla tape

Soldato
OP
It's a smooth tape like insulating tape - I'm guessing it's tubeless.

Built myself a air reservoir today! Used an old helium cylinder I had from one of the kids birthdays - added some old fuel pipe and a valve. I can inflate it and use the cylinder valve to control the release. Cylinder rated for 13 bar, but is nice and big, so should easily do the job at less pressure....

Got another length of fuel pipe to connect the reservoir to the valve on the wheel.

Tires turning up on Monday.....

WXd5nlL.jpg

SgtXms5.jpg

Soldato
You might find that too big.
I've found it's a quick short blast that seats tyres, not a slow and steady rush of air.
I initially used a 5lt bottle at 30psi which wasn't great. The 2lt pop bottle I use now I pump to 80psi and it's perfect tyres just instantly inflate it's much better.

Soldato
OP
I can put 80psi in the tank. I'm not going to go above the tire's rated pressure 60psi as with the tank volume it could end up over pressurising.

Looking forward to meeting around with all this....

Soldato
OP
Well, all the bits arrived today.

I had cleaned both rims yesterday so they were ready for the tape today.

Went with one layer of electrical tape first and then the rim tape over that. All went well nice smooth tape application. Valves fitted no problem.

Put the first tire on and went round the rims with some soapy water. Hooked up to my cylinder and got a semi satisfying crack. Quickly fitted the valve body and then pumped up to 60psi (max rating for the tire).

Repeated for the other tire. Only issue was a stubborn slow leak from the tire bead where the rim join was.

Left both for a little time and then let the air out and put the sealant in through the valve.

Pumped both back up with the track pump to 60psi and did the sealant dance. That seemed to stop the slow leak as well.

O1LWcri.jpg

Can't hear any air escaping, will check pressures tomorrow....

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Associate
Replaced tyres (Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR) on my road wheelset recently and they didn't hold air (one a lot worse than the other) until after I topped up sealant and went for a ride. Previously I'd only needed to spin them around a bit and they'd be fine. Switched my gravel wheelset to tubeless yesterday and they're not holding air either so will pop them on the bike for a short ride and hopefully they'll be good.

Relatviely new to cycling (only taking it seriously since lockdown 1) but never hesitate to recommend tubeless, after my luck with no punctures ran out I've picked up loads of nicks and cuts and managed to complete my planned ride every time (often without even realising there's a puncture).

Soldato
OP
Well both tires had gone down from 60 to 40psi overnight.

Went for a quick 20 minute ride at lunch, will see if that has done anything.

I put about 80ml of sealant in both tires (29x2.25), so I might add a little bit more (through the valve stem) if they still go down a bit.

To be fair if they only lose pressure slowly, I can always inflate them before a ride - even on a longish 3 hour ride, the pressure won't drop that much.

Any other top tips?

Soldato
OP
From lunchtime today rear had gone from 40to 20 and front from 40 to 30.

Added another 80ml of sealant to both, reinflated to 60psi and shock them around again.

Let's see where we are tomorrow. Might get a bowl of water and try to see where the air is coming from if they still leak.

Back
Top Bottom