Golf 5 GTI or Audi A3 2.0T

Associate
Looking into a circa 3-4 year old car spending around 12k.
Defintely going for the DSG auto box as want something with a bit of novelty value.

Considering Golf V GTI or the Audi A3 with the same 200ps engine.
Will be driving both over the next couple of weekends, but really wanted to ask if they are in fact the same car underneath it all, or do they have certain benefits over each other?

Would also have maybe liked an E90 330i Coupe having previously owned E46 330i but they are currently a bit pricy for me coming in over 15k, wouldn't like to cheap out and go for a 325i SE so maybe next time!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
if i was getting the A3, it'd be a 3.2

a V6 TT could be worth a look too, unless you need the space..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if i was getting the A3, it'd be a 3.2

a V6 TT could be worth a look too, unless you need the space..

Had a TT 225 before, and really need a fullsize car these days.

Good call on the 3.2 though, they don't actually look any more expensive and are all quattro too I believe.

The only problem on the 3.2 being that my mileage is very unpredictable, I could do anything from 5k to 20k in a year so trying to avoid sub 30mpg.

Soldato
DSG doesn't have too good of a reputation, apparently, they have reliability issues which can cost a lot if they go wrong.

Associate
OP
DSG doesn't have too good of a reputation, apparently, they have reliability issues which can cost a lot if they go wrong.

OK thanks for the warning, will probably be going with main dealer, and I tend to not keep a car much longer than 1-2 years anyway so should be fairly safe there.
Will bear it in mind when the time comes for warranty extension as I wouldn't normally go for one, but might be a good idea.

Associate
A3 is group 15, GTI group 17
DSG is great - some people have had issues, but given the age of car you are looking at they should have been resolved under warranty.
A3 is better built, GTI is better looking.
The ride on the A3 (e.g. S-Line) is pretty hard - best take a long test drive to check it out!
GTI will be more "fun"

I guess your money would get you a 2005/06 S-Line or a 2005 GTI - guess its down to personal preference, but the GTI is probably ahead on points.

Soldato
Some technical info if it matters to you...

Looking at the 3 door 2 wheel drive A3 and the 3 door GTI, both autos...

A3 is a tax band lower than the Golf
A3 is 2 insurance groups lower than the Golf
A3 is 0.1 seconds faster to 60 than the Golf
A3 gets 1mpg more combined average than the Golf
A3 is 35kg lighter than the Golf

I'm still not sure what I'd pick though :D

Associate
OP
Then why are you considering a Golf and an Audi A3? :confused: They're not exactly big.

Don't need something big, just dog capable etc. so not a saloon or small coupe like TT / 350Z. We only need one car but the wife won't drive anything too large :rolleyes:

The TT was a great car and put a smile on my face at every roundabout, though I did prefer the E46 330i overall.

Will probably drive the GTI this weekend and the A3 next weekend.

I could up the budget to say R32 or S3, but chances are I will be back commuting on the train in 6 months and any car will just sit there totally wasted and depreciating (which is why I got rid of the BMW) as I work in various locations as a contractor.

( Cue various suggestions for a fun 6 monther throwaway car... )

Soldato
There's no need to roll your eyes, see I was thinking of those also as my next car, and I only really have to cart about my dog, a bit of shopping and a mate or two. They just seemed to me not to have massive amounts of leg room in the back. Personally i was thinking of moving up to an Estate of some description, mainly to give the doggy a good load of room in the boot area with the cage up.

Back
Top Bottom