Golf GTI Mk6 vs Mk7

Associate
Can anyone give me a bit of a summary on the differences between the two?
Is one a better car than the other?

Looking at GTI's and obviously I can get the Mk 6 cheaper than the Mk 7 but can't really find out if there's anything I'd be missing out on?

They also don't seem to look that different to me?

Also, I'm assuming a GTD is pointless doing annual miles of around 5K?

Cheers!

nas

nas

Associate
My money would go on a highly specced MK6, which would still be cheaper than a basic MK7. You'd be missing out on an updated interior, though I find the interior of the 6 fairly modern. You'd need around 13 - 15k, though 15 is abit much imo.

Saying that though, with such a gap in price, why not save a few grand and just get the mk6 if both are possible options?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I suppose your last bit was kind of my question - is the Mk 7 that much better to save the extra for?

Any must have extras I should look out for, for both the 6 & 7?

Soldato
The Mk7 is an entirely new chassis, based on the new MQB platform and has been generally raved about by most reviewers, the Mk6 is bordering on essentially being a facelift of the Mk5 and whilst they're not bad cars by any stretch, they never got the plaudits the Mk7 has been getting.

Not been in a Mk7 yet but the interior of the Mk6 I always found a huge letdown, bland and cheap. I have a been in a Seat Leon based on the same platform as the Mk7 Golf and the interior in that is a big step up from the Mk6 Golf, so I can imagine the Mk7 Golf is another small step up from that.

If you do go Mk6, it'd be worth keeping an eye for an Ed35 if they're anything approaching sensible money.

And yes, GTD is pointless at such low mileage

Associate
Cheers guys, looks like I'll be holding out for a Mk 7!

As above, anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for in terms of optional extras?

The biggest one is the Performance Pack, although only an extra 10bhp, the mechanical front diff and bigger front brakes make a big difference to how the car drives.
Don't pay a premium for leather, it's just not great quality hide and will show wear very quickly.
everything else is personal choice, they come with a reasonable standard spec anyway.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The Mk7 GTI is superior to a Mk6 GTI, so drive both and see if you can stretch your budget.
The Mk6 GTI is still an excellent car though...

Would a Mk6 R be in budget?

Back
Top Bottom