1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golf Mk4 CD Changer

Discussion in 'Motors' started by csmager, 6 May 2006.

1. csmager

Soldato

I've got a 2003 Golf Mk4. At the moment, it has a VW Gamma Head Unit & Single CD player up front. I'm hoping to swap these two out for a VW MFD Nav Unit at some point. If I did that, I'd lose the CD in the front for a TeleAtlas Map Disc, which isn't musically that interesting(!), so I'm looking to put a CD Changer in.

Not sure whether to go for a VW one or a random aftermarket one (to save money, it'll probably be off ebay anyway!) - but it would need to be compatible with the single cd player attached to the Gamma atm - all i have to do is hit 'select' and it alternates between the single unit and the changer.

I've had a route around the boot of the car, and I can't find the pre-wiring - I'd've thought being a fairly late Mk4 that it'd've been there - does anyone know otherwise? Or could someone point out where I should be looking?

Thanks for any help!

2. MagicBoy

Capodecina

The wiring is not prefitted unless you get an up-spec car like the V5 or V6. The changer lives in the LHS cubby in the boot. The proper VW changer is a Panasonic unit that been OEM'd to VW spec. It's shared with most of the Skoda and SEAT range and some Audi's. There's usually a few around on eBay.

The aftermarket ones (usually Alpine or Sony) use an interface box to convert to the VAG changer protocol. I'm using an off the shelf Panasonic (as opposed to the VAG unit) with a convertor cable in my Fabia. All works as it should apart from the shuffle function. Then again I only paid £30 (inc the cable) from someone at work who had just traded in her Golf.

3. csmager

Soldato

So it's not just me, there genuinely isn't any wiring!

I thought self-installation would be easy with the prewiring in place - d'you reckon it'd be that hard if I had to wire it all myself?

4. Dr House

Capodecina

I don’t know if its of any help but my Mk4 V5 golf has a cd changer built into the headunits and im very happy with it. You should be able to find one on ebay

5. csmager

Soldato

Yep, I've seen those. If I do as I plan and put an MFD in instead of the gamma, I'd have no room for an in-dash changer, so that's why I'm looking for a boot mounted solution.