Golf Mk4 Speakers

Associate
Hey y'all
I want to replace the stock speakers in my golf mk4 with some new ones as I'm hoping it will give me better sound. I can't be bothered with an amp and I only want to change the front 2 door speakers. I have a descent Pioneer headunit (DEH-5500mp).
What size speakers are the standard ones and are they easy to replace? Also are there tweeters in the top next to the wing mirrors?
Thanks everyone

Soldato
They should be simple to replace one out one in
Not too sure on the size but if you get on the Club Gti forums and have a look in there there are a few posts covering audio set ups
Also a good site is Talk Audio forums great people who love to help out

Soldato
I recently upgraded mine to Infinity Reference series components.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF6010CS'&Ser=REF&Cat=COS

I'm running an alpine head unit and the sound is much better on the high frequency stuff - the Infinity tweeters are insanely good, but the bass is crackly and distorted if turned up too loud, so i'm going to buy a budget 2 channel amp to sort that (I don't want to pimp out my car, just want nice sound).

I got my speakers from Halfords, £99 for the pair and that includes X-overs.

You'll also need the adaptor rings too, they can be found on fleabay to convert the 15cm mounts to 17.5cm.

Associate
I had 165 components front and rear in my Bora, which I would imagine is exactly the same fitting as the Mk IV Golf.. It's not worth spending a lot unless you are going to fit a separate amp. I had some very expensive MB Quarts in the front, and some auction special Focals in the rear, but they were running of Genesis amps.

One of my workmates was quite proud of his setup with his two subs, and was not happy when he heard mine, as I could get better bass from two sets of components :)

Soldato
Yeah that's what i'm hoping for uncle - once I amp these they should hopefully put out a decent amount of bass, preventing me from having to install a compact 10" sub in the rear left hand cubby hole in the boot.

Associate
Something worth thinking about - I had the front doors done with dynamat, which I am sure helped with the sound. The volume I could get with absolutely no rattles or distortion was amazing.

The Focals I had in the rear were quite soft sounding, and great for fill in, whilst the MB Quarts were amazingly detailed, which is why I picked them. I have decent speakers on my hifi, but I could hear things in the car that I couldn't pick out in the house. I was so tempted to keep that car because of the stereo...

Unfortunately my new car has an integral stereo, and although it is very good (Dobly Prologic II is quite entertaining) it isn't a patch on what I had :(

No MP3's either, until someone comes up with an iPod adaptor.

Back
Top Bottom