Golf Thread

Soldato
Really nice looking set, think I remember seeing this on the golf reddit if I remember rightly?

I haven't really kept up to date with the latest rules surrounding golf but are 1-1 lessons currently allowed? I'm desperate to get in with someone to start working on my banana slice with the driver...
Indeed :) still tempted to get either a hybrid/3 wood, but will get going on these for now.

As far as I'm aware 1-1 lessons are on, my local clubs are offering them anyway..!

Associate
I am tempted, I miss the days of Tiger woods 2003 etc

I have booked in for a irons and woods custom fit. Really interested to see what can be done for me and while still a mid-high handicap, I expect to get some value from it.

Not sure I’ll purchase all the clubs, but sorely tempted for a new set of irons....maybe a new 3 wood...:p:p

Soldato
I had an hour lesson with Michael Newton then an hour fitting, its good to do it that way i think. My iron play has gone from hitting fairly accurately with my 7 iron titelist ap1 going about 150 down to catching it thin the majority of the time so in the lesson we identified the problem and tried different fixes until we found one that I seemed to grasp quicker. The lesson had the orange trackman 4 which was really good compared to others I've used elsewhere. The lesson is recorded and you get registered on the trackman site and a video of the main part of the lesson where he talked me through my swing and what was wrong and compared the beginning of the lesson with at the end.
Have to say 100% worth the hour and half drive and £50.
I don't like my irons but wasn't worth fitting for new ones until I've made the changes required.
I did try a couple of drivers, maybe on this point I'd have booked two hours for the fitting and tried all brands as the cost of a driver is pretty pricey. It was interesting though in that I struck the driver with an inch shorter shaft in really well, he didn't tell me he had put the shorter shaft in until after I hit it. I tried the two cobra drivers, I preferred the normal one but the extreme I did hit better. I tried the callaway mavric which I really liked but maybe not the 100 more it would cost. I didn't get one but its food for thought and something If I see cheap on Facebook or whatever I may grab.
I did get a couple of sm7 wedges which I am happy with, both slightly used and only £60 each.

Not sure on my gapping but I have a 43degree pw, 48 gw, 54 sm7 , 56 Ben Ross cheapo and 58sm7
The plan is to change my irons to more traditional lofted irons going forward so the pw will likely be around 45-48 in a new set

Soldato
played my local course a couple of times last week, first time i struggled with my iron striking all the way around.
2nd time around after the first 6 holes i was 11 over my handicap just couldn't strike a ball to save my life, finished 14 over my handicap so seemed to get my swing back.
Played windermere yesterday and took it easy, was over my handicap a bit but to be honest i was just happy to playing golf there with a friend i've not seen for 4/5 months. Iron striking was on point, even managed to take a lovely line over some trees from the rough and down onto the green which i was really happy with. My chipping let me down big time and Windermere punishes bad chips as the greens have a lot of points where it can roll off quite easy. Putting i wasn't taking my time with so i had a few triple puts but i was just buzzing with my iron play to care about the putting haha. Going to get to get down the chipping area at some point this week and get some practise in. Hardest part for me at the moment in golf is understanding my iron strike, apart from taking it easy i don't think ive changed out from hitting them awful and hitting them sweet. Also need to try and figure out what i need to hit the green on the 18th at Windermere, it's about 190yards that you can't really lay up on, my 5 iron can nearly get there but frequently is a bit short. Next down is a 5 wood which goes through the green. Might see if i can get a 4 iron.

Associate
..... Also need to try and figure out what i need to hit the green on the 18th at Windermere, it's about 190yards that you can't really lay up on, my 5 iron can nearly get there but frequently is a bit short. Next down is a 5 wood which goes through the green. Might see if i can get a 4 iron.

4 iron sounds like a good bet, but you could also grip down the shaft of the 5 wood and hit a 75-85% swing. It's a good thing to have in the locker, to the extent I hit practice x% swing shots on the range to gauge distance control (typically wedges though).

I went to the range last night, couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo for the first 50 balls but then things settled down into some consistency - reassuring if nothing else.
Still struggling to settle on a swing, but it's coming along slowly since my last lesson. I suspect I will get another lesson booked in soon.

Soldato
4 iron sounds like a good bet, but you could also grip down the shaft of the 5 wood and hit a 75-85% swing. It's a good thing to have in the locker, to the extent I hit practice x% swing shots on the range to gauge distance control (typically wedges though).

I went to the range last night, couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo for the first 50 balls but then things settled down into some consistency - reassuring if nothing else.
Still struggling to settle on a swing, but it's coming along slowly since my last lesson. I suspect I will get another lesson booked in soon.
Grabbed a mp20 hmb 4 iron wirh a flighted project x shaft so should be nice to hit. Should be here early next weej

Soldato
Cheers all, just had an offer through for £500 7 day social golfing, no handicap/comps which suits me fine, until end of December 2021, was just seeing how it matched up, some courses round hear are getting on for £1500 a year!

Associate
Not currently a member anywhere myself, so green fees for the most part. Occasional round as a members guest keeps the cost down :)

Soldato
Used to pay £1100 when I was a member. Met some nice people to play with and some proper idiots too (there was a clique at the club who treated it like their own little empire as they were always president, treasurer etc). Ended up cancelling it as didn’t get on with all the rules about dress codes on/off course, disputes about competition rules (they let Juniors play in comps and pay their entry fee, but then a junior won the annual medal and they wouldn’t award him the trophy or winnings!....).

Now just pay and play with mates on a Sunday.

Underboss
£131 a month - overpriced for sure but lots of work happening on the course over the next 2-3 years so will take it up a notch.

On the plus side I broke 80 on Saturday (78).

Associate
£131 a month - overpriced for sure but lots of work happening on the course over the next 2-3 years so will take it up a notch.

On the plus side I broke 80 on Saturday (78).

Whereabouts are you in the U.K.? That’s pretty standard for around here for a monthly sub. It’s the joining fees that worry me.

The course I dream of joining is a 6k joining fee and 2k per annum subs. That’s a lot of money but it’s such a great track

Great score though

Underboss
@Tenzo - I'm Surrey but the club is in North Hampshire, as we're a private members club we own the club, which is nice but means £1k joining fee and £1500 a year.

Great drainage, to the point that we now need a sprinkler system next year for some of the fairways and they are not cheap, lost a fair few members during COVID also.

Associate
@Tenzo - I'm Surrey but the club is in North Hampshire, as we're a private members club we own the club, which is nice but means £1k joining fee and £1500 a year.

Great drainage, to the point that we now need a sprinkler system next year for some of the fairways and they are not cheap, lost a fair few members during COVID also.

Oh nice!

Which club are you a member of? I’ve been looking at Clubs to join - Northants/Blackmoor, alongside Farnham/Hindhead in Surrey.

Underboss
Oh nice!

Which club are you a member of? I’ve been looking at Clubs to join - Northants/Blackmoor, alongside Farnham/Hindhead in Surrey.

Northants is a brilliant course, I can almost see it from my office window, home of Justin Rose before he went to America.

Played Blackmoor a few times, tough from what I remember, think I won a junior conp way back in the day there.

I'm at The Army Golf Club in Aldershot.

Associate
Anyone got much experience with PlayMoreGolf? Tempted by it to hopefully pay less for green fees given I may be moving soon.

Back
Top Bottom