Golf Thread

Soldato
Honestly have no idea who’s in for a shout, apparently Sunday they are expecting rain and so greens should get a lot slower. I’m putting money on Spieth, but could be anyone that makes the cut at this point! Guess we’ll know better after tomorrow

Soldato
Honestly have no idea who’s in for a shout, apparently Sunday they are expecting rain and so greens should get a lot slower. I’m putting money on Spieth, but could be anyone that makes the cut at this point! Guess we’ll know better after tomorrow
I was tempted by Spieth at the start, but his odds are far too short for his recent form.

Fleetwood has been really solid and is due a win sometime

Soldato
Rose just went 8 under and then Matsuyama eagled to 9 under and leads the scoreboard.

Matsuyama 10 under now.

11 under now.

Finished for the day with Matsuyama on -11 and Rose back down to -7 shared with several others at -7.

Last edited:
Associate
Been out for a round today, marking some cards to get my handicap all official, probably looking at about 15 I reckon, but I'm aiming to improve on this and hopefully get nearer 10.

Just got bought a used driver - a Ping I20 10.5 degrees with a stiff shaft, hit it brilliantly all day. My iron play really let me down in a big way, put myself in pole position on most holes but couldn't convert to a decent score. I was probably playing like an 8 handicapper off the tee, but a 30 handicapper on approach shots.

Love the game, so hard, but I love the challenge.

And......fingers crossed for Rose!

Soldato
I played today, 104 round 18 on a par 75. I’ve never had a handicap and haven’t played for over 1.5 years until this week. I’m going to join a club and get an official handicap but imagine it will be the maximum anyway :p. I do have a great range of motion though (genetic lottery) and can hit the ball a long way, just need to work on the mechanics :).
You'll not have a bad handicap. on the old system i got around the same as you and got a 32 HCP. think i'm off 26 now although left my golf club at the end of the year. will likely pay per play this year due to lack of time.

Associate
I think for the handicap they ignore the really bad holes, so if you go say par, par, bogey, 10, double bogey etc......they ignore the 10 and put it down as a double. In theory I think they are looking at your potential scoring ability on a reasonably good day, when you wouldn't have any disasters.

I'm hitting around 17 to 23 over at the moment, but in there there has been a few bad holes (on the 17 over I had 8 pars, but also two triple bogeys and one real disaster hole, and the rest bogeys), so I'm kind of expecting a handicap around the 15 mark.

Soldato
Mate of mine just got 38 as a handicapp.... There isn't really any maximum.

I got a huge cut at the weekend - shot 68net and cut was 11.3 to 9.7!

Handicap will bounce around a bit till I get all 20 rounds in and then they use your best 8 from that under the new rules.

Soldato
Aye will be interesting to see mate.

I managed a quick 9 holes today after work. Went round the 9 finishing 10 over par, so not bad. My putting and chip & runs saved me. Only hit 2 decent tee shots and topped a couple irons. Was honestly shocked it went that well.

With regards to getting an official handicap - I know I have to submit 54 holes of golf to a club I’ve joined (still need to join one). My question is, once I’ve joined a club, can the 3 scorecards be from any course? Or do they need to be from the one I joined? Also can I submit electronically recorded cards or do they need to be on an official card?

normally anywhere now is good (since any course now should have an offical rating etc) but you will normall need a club member from your club to "sign" off the card..

Underboss
Scored 34 points in the weekend medal and have been cut from 11 to 10.2. Wasn't expecting a cut, at all.

Some bandit off 28 scored 46 points. Lucky the clubhouse isn't open or he would have been lynched.

Keep telling myself I'll get a proper fitting done when I hit single figures, could be expensive.

Soldato
Scored 34 points in the weekend medal and have been cut from 11 to 10.2. Wasn't expecting a cut, at all.

Some bandit off 28 scored 46 points. Lucky the clubhouse isn't open or he would have been lynched.

Keep telling myself I'll get a proper fitting done when I hit single figures, could be expensive.

Full bag fitting booked for 27th April for me - wife has already been warned this will be expensive!:cry::cry:

I'm guessing around

£400 driver
£150/200 3 wood
£600-900 - irons
2 or 3 wedges - £130 each potentially.

Putter is staying and 2 iron & hybrid are both fairly new so will be staying put.

Soldato
Ok cool, thanks mate.

Fortunately I have exactly the same handwriting as a member who’s willing to sign them! ;)

at our place it's all on the app (howdidido) or SGU - so no signature required you just put in the name of the person "marking" your card - but due to COVID, there is no cards handed out currently

Underboss
37 points (with a blob) yesterday, finished 6th out of 126.

Handicap cut from 10.6 to 6.9 (giggidy) - wasn't expecting to get cut that much, looks like my promise of a full custom fit when I reach single figures is coming sooner than I thought, even more so as I broke my 6i during a backswing on the 3rd out of the trees.

Putter is staying as it was fire yesterday and I've already had a fitting for that, driver possibly staying also unless they get me fit into something with less dispersion as I don't need any more distance.

Bugger, glad I got a refund from x2 holidays this year.

Soldato
37 points (with a blob) yesterday, finished 6th out of 126.

Handicap cut from 10.6 to 6.9 (giggidy) - wasn't expecting to get cut that much, looks like my promise of a full custom fit when I reach single figures is coming sooner than I thought, even more so as I broke my 6i during a backswing on the 3rd out of the trees.

Putter is staying as it was fire yesterday and I've already had a fitting for that, driver possibly staying also unless they get me fit into something with less dispersion as I don't need any more distance.

Bugger, glad I got a refund from x2 holidays this year.

that's some cut but with the new handicap system it can be very "jumpy" in terms of up and down.

I'm off here tomorrow - www.sggt.co.uk for a full bag custom fit..... Going to be expensive! So excited!

Back
Top Bottom