Golf Thread

Soldato
OP
:D

Well just got in from playing a local course i have only ever played once before, i got 87 on a par 62.... inc 3 pars and :D1 birdie:D

:D :D :D

:D

I'm happy, its my second birdie i've ever had! It sounds rubbish but its a handicap of 25. What let me down today was hooking the ball left...a lot... i can't figure out why i have suddenly started to do this.

What went well today was little chip shots, it reallyed helped what some of you had said, thanks.

Associate
I still get a great feeling when I get a birdie

And you don't work your H/C out based purely on what you scored over par, someone else will explain better but there is a SSS score which is the standard scratch score which I believe should be the average score there based on other people's scores. You then also don't count anything greater than a double bogey.

I played 9 holes Saturday and scored 44 which is a shame as I was on for a decent finish having gone Bogey, Bogey, Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Double, Double (the 8th hole is a long par 5 and stupidly I tried for the green in 2 rather than laying up! Then on the 9th I managed to find the bunker and was right up against the bank so took 2 shots to get out)

Soldato
a good 5&3 victory for me and playing partner last night in our club doubles. Into the quarters now!

Did get a bit interesting when we were 6 up through 8 and then suddenly lost the next 3 holes!!!

Soldato
Played a local course in Leeds on friday, 39 points off a 14hcp so was happy with that. Playing back there in a couple of weeks with the society i am in, they play me off 24hcp, so hoping for a nice points tally! (It's so high because we are nearly always tanked up by the time we play, i've asked for a reduction but they wont give me one for some reason, say i have to earn it!! :))

Soldato
I should be playing to around 20 but my game has been all over the place for the last year.

Yardages are:

PW: c135
3 Iron: c220
6 Iron: C175
5wood C240
3wood C275
Driver....300 some day.....some day.

Using 17yo blades (Yonex ADX 100) probably doesn't help me though.

Associate
I should be playing to around 20 but my game has been all over the place for the last year.

Yardages are:

PW: c135
3 Iron: c220
6 Iron: C175
5wood C240
3wood C275
Driver....300 some day.....some day.

Using 17yo blades (Yonex ADX 100) probably doesn't help me though.

You play off 20 and can average 275 with a 3w and 220 with a 3 iron (old blades at that!!!

Your putting must be **** ;)

Soldato
You play off 20 and can average 275 with a 3w and 220 with a 3 iron (old blades at that!!!

Your putting must be **** ;)
Average 275 yards with a 3 wood that's some swing speed :eek: the average driver length on tour is only 287.8 and that's usually in perfect conditions, indeed weescott your short game must be truly horrendous ;)

Soldato
How do you know my swing speed is high from yardage? I'm using an old Carbon Fibre head Yamaha GRX 3 wood which is older than my Irons.

I'm not consistent at all and my swing speed I have been told is ridiculously fast, how fast I don't know.

Soldato
It's gotta be really fast to attain those sort of distances, it's hardly going to be a steady 70-80 mph swing is it now ;) more like 130-140 mph and that's up there with the long drive boys and Bubba Watson, Tiger etc.

More swing speed = more distance fact, of course it helps if you middle it too :)

Associate
I doubt he is near 130-140 mph.

My 3wood is on average around 260 and my swing speed was measured at the Belfry at around 116 mph (driver). I'd say hes looking at about 122-125mph. The funny thing was when i tried to absolutely leather the hell out of the ball my speed only went up to 118! Some people just have a knack for swinging harder and faster.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Hate to fall in on a serious golf thread but me and a few friends play pitch and putt a fair bit. The courses round here are decentish and each hole is about 70-130m long. Can easily pitch it over that length now, I just struggle with getting direction very well, seem to get a lot of curve to the left!

Last year played the same course and got 2 holes in 1 in one round! I've never done anywhere NEAR that well since though :p

Soldato
No probably not, perhaps a slight over exaggeration, but you knew what I was getting at ;)

I do! :D

I'm impressed by some of the distances people hit certain clubs on here though, some are only just short of Alvaro Quiros, the current longest guy on both tours and he is playing to fairways that are like most golf clubs greens so give more roll............

Associate
Just splashed out and bought myself a brand spanking new putter :D

Odyssey Teron, looks the biz, hope it puts as well as it looks :)

Soldato
Yay, i'm off at 2:00pm today for a round, looking forward to it! First time this week, haha!!!! :D

Hope the putter goes well djcj, i know when i went for mine, i spent a good 3-4hrs trying out all the differen't kinds they had in the shop, with some help from the pro who i get lessons from (it's a driving range where he is based, they usually have about 50-60 putters in stock of differen't varieties at any one time and a smallish indoor putting green). Got it down to 4 i liked (YES! Olivia, Mizuno Bettinardi BC1, Scotty Cameron Newport 2 SS, Wilson Staff 8877) and they let me take them to the local course to use on the practice green for a couple of hours. Ended up with the Scotty and have loved it ever since!

Soldato
My bag:

Calloway Biggest Big Bertha 7-degree
Honma Fairway Woods (Carbon Titanium shafts with Persimmon heads!)
Titleist 962 irons 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 56degree Wedge
Odyssey Putter (13 yrs old!)
Pro V1 (but you can now get "Practice" ProV for around £20 a dozen and they seem identical - and yes, the ball makes a huge difference to how you play, even if it's only a placebo effect)

Handicap is currently around 17 but when I was playing four times a week (sabbatical in Thailand) got down to 6 with a best round of 74 (2-over)

Now don't play enough to have any feel at all but the long game is still good.

Looking for games around SE9

Back
Top Bottom