Golf Thread

Soldato
OP
Nope i didn't, it doesn't really bother me as i;m really happy with them and how much i paid anyway!

I haven't played for 6days now ahh! Think im having a game tomorrow hopefully, if not i will go round by myself.

Do many of you go round by yourself?

Soldato
I don't like to play alone ;) so I have sometimes paid the green fee and then looked on the 1st to see if any of the groups are less than four and see if they mind me tagging along. Golf is supposed to be a social game and most groups are more than welcoming.

GeZ

GeZ

Associate
thought i'd share yesterdays round with you.

It was the monthly medal and I had a good chance on recent form, playing two medals recently a few shots below my handicap (16).

Par'd the 1st hole (par 5), hit the ball well, green in reg then 2 putted. Decent enough. Then, shanked my way around the next 8 holes and my card was ruined. I stuck it out and got the swing going and birdied the 10th, par'd the 11th 12th bogied the 13th, 14th and birdie the 15th. doubled the 16th so 2 over par for the back nince coming down 17. i then got my shank back and tripled the 17th (par 3) and doubled the 18th.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!! my game has been red hot until yesterday and then the most unforgiving shot in the game appears (the shank!). I shall be finishing work early tomorrow and I'll be hitting plenty of balls as I have a round down Machynys GC on Weds, and seeing its a top course I need to sort my game out!

I feel better now, after sharing my bad fortunes with you! :D

by the way i member here - http://www.neathgolfclub.co.uk/

Soldato
I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!! my game has been red hot until yesterday and then the most unforgiving shot in the game appears (the shank!).[/url]

I feel your pain, had a bout of the hosel rockets for the best part of three months at the beginning of last year. I nearly gave up the game it was that bad :eek::(

I hope you get it sorted out on the range, however if you find you're still doing them then the best thing to do is have a week or so off, otherwise it will just demoralise you to the point of insanity.

A quick tip, try standing a little further away from the ball, and keep your head still.

Associate
Played pretty well last night when i just went for 9h with my dad. Finished +3. The most annoying part of the half round was bombing driver 310 yards down the fourth (slightly downhill with a slight helping wind) leaving me about 120 into the flag. Chose to just chase in a nice 3/4 PW and i end up pushing it right down a hill into really deep rough that goes against the direction of the chip back :( Should have just taken a full GW and been done with it.

After reading about your shanking problems it doesn't seem so bad now hehe. Few problems you might have but i find a fair few people are comming in too shallow and on the inside, get in steeper on the ball and it should help you out.

GeZ

GeZ

Associate
thanks for the tips, last time i had the shanks I had a video lesson and corrected straight away (my head was falling forward during the downswing, hence the path of the club going away from my body by a good few inches).

After practicing tomorrow, I'll report back!!!!

Soldato
Stand with the ball in the middle of my feet or to the left/right?

Also somebody mentioned using the 8iron and doing the putting action with that, but would this work when ~10foot away? Its a horrible game, too hard :p Playing again today when i finish work.

In one of the first lessons I ever had, I always remember my pro told told me this as a rough guide to chipping,

7 iron will travel 25% in the air 75% roll

9 iron will travel 50% in the air 50% roll

PW will travel 75% in the air 25% roll

Feet pointed slightly to target and use a putting action as Harji mentioned.

EDIT: similar idea to Kefkefs link, which i didn't read until after I posted :o

Last edited:
Associate
Had a nightmare on Sunday, think I went round in about 25 over (including 2 birdies!!)

My best hole was a 349yard par 4 - Drive went ~310, 40yard pitch, 8ft putt = :)
My worst hole 195yard par 3 - Sliced ball onto other tee, fatted pitch into bunker, left ball in bunker, got ball out of bunker but leaving about a 40ft putt and 3 putted for a glorious quadruple bogey 7 = :(

Soldato
Well, i finally managed to turn in a decent performance with the pub society i play with, i think it was something to do with it being a monday rather than thurs/fri which meant i wasn't ****ed before we even tee'd off! They play me off 24 (that's what i finished on in october last year and they wouldn't cut me despite me asking for a cut). Scored 47 points, but still only managed to come 2nd!!! Bloody 28 hcp bandits! haha. My handicap using the online tracker is 12.4, so pretty much a reflection of that though i did leave a lot of points out there (my playing partners reckoned i was on for a 60 pointer!!) by missing some short putts that i shouldn't have done and blobbing on the last hole (which would have won me the game!).

I've been told to expect a 5 shot cut for the next game, so should still have some banditry left in me! haha.

GeZ

GeZ

Associate
Sorry but you should never use the word that rhymes with Yanks. Very bad luck!

LOL!!! I have tried not mentioning it, and find it still returns to haunt me so I made a decision to stand up to it and say the word! Unfortunately, I lose!

However, I hit a load of balls tonight and there were only 4 I didn't like, but they were hit a little fat - no drama. No hosel rockets. I was shattered on the weekend when I had a bad round, perhaps the fatigued swing was the cause of the problems.

My swing felt good so I could forget about getting things right and practiced shaping shots. Hitting some draws and fades and some punchy shots. Also practiced quite a few bump and runs with the 9 iron.

I am looking forward to tomorrows round. :D (fingers crossed :p)

Soldato
Oh nice, a golf thread. :D

I played for the first time in about 12 years yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it's something that I would definitely like to do more.
Is it normal to ache after playing golf for the first time in many years? I can barely move today and my ribs are sore!

Anyway, I desperately need some new clubs. The current set I have was given to me and they're really old and the wrong size.
I have roughly £100 to spend and don't mind buying second hand.
What should I be looking at for that price?

Any help would be appreciated.

Soldato
Is it normal to ache after playing golf for the first time in many years? I can barely move today and my ribs are sore!

I desperately need some new clubs. The current set I have was given to me and they're really old and the wrong size.
I have roughly £100 to spend and don't mind buying second hand.
What should I be looking at for that price?

Any help would be appreciated.

lol, yes I guess if you haven't played for a while then you will be using muscles that probably haven't been used too much in 12 years.

As for clubs, I would recommend a second hand set of Macgregors. You can usually find the M455's (quite chunky) or M565's (not so chunky) on ebay for less than £100. They are good forged irons that don't cost the earth and get glowing reviews in the golfing press. I had a set of 455's about four years ago, they were my first set of decent irons, and they are so easy to hit it's unreal. Off centre shots will still travel a good distance and they will still go fairly straight. The 565's are more of a game improvement iron, as oppose to the 455's which are really aimed at the higher handicapper. However the 565's are still very forgiving, and if you think you'll be playing a fair bit I'd probably opt for these.

The other good thing with the Macgregors is they're forged, so this makes it easier to get them fitted for you. Once you have a fairly repeatable swing, you can get yourself down to the local pro and he can sort your loft and lie out for you.

Soldato
Since this is a general thread about golf, I would also like to recommend:

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Simply the greatest teaching guide ever produced. If you learn to do what Hogan said to do, you will be a good player.

Back
Top Bottom