1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Andr3w, 2 Jun 2009.

1. Velocity

Wise Guy

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with slicing the ball at present.. I tend to get an extreme amount of loft the ball starts going straight the falls away to the right heavily.

I went to the range last night to practice some tips and it was going well until 16 screaming 17 years olds stopped me from concentrating for the last half of my bucket of balls..

Anywho, good tips for avoiding the slice?

I have adjusted the following things in my setup

*closed the club face more which made a difference
    *slowed by back swing down
    *made my grip more loose

2. Richard_16v

Wise Guy

Most slices come from having an out to in swing, you can minimise the effects by having the face closed, going for draw biased clubs etc, but in order to get over the problem and progress you need to have an in to out swing, this comes from proper body rotation.

If I was you I would have some lessons before causing more issues.

3. GSDog

Soldato

Thanks. I've found a set of used McGregor M565 Irons which I will probably buy but what else do I need?
    I'm not sure what woods I will need. I've completely forgotten which type of clubs are used for what, etc! :o

4. Richard_16v

Wise Guy

You can have 14 Clubs

Putter is a must

Irons (normally 3-PW)
    Wedges (SW, LW etc)
    Fairway Woods (3w, 5w etc)
    Driver
    Hybrid/Rescue (replace long irons - higher flight easier to hit)

As a beginner you don't need to worry too much about anything but Irons and a putter until you get used to them.

5. fullspizz

Wise Guy

Aha, golfing.

My bag contains (at the moment)
    Taylor Made R7 9 degree driver
    Adams Tight Lies 15 degree 3 wood.
    Adams Tight Lies 5 wood.
    Taylor Made Rescue Mid 4 22 degree.
    Taylor Made RAC OS Irons.
    Generic Lob wedge.
    Taylor Made Rossa Monza putter.
    Cobra Trolley Bag.
    Titliest Stand Bag.

Balls, either Pro V1's, Srixon AD333's or during the winter Pinnacle Gold FX Long balls.

Currently playing just over my 18 handicap.
    Had major problems late last year with hitting all my irons fat. Almost gave the game up due to it.
    I am now striking the ball a lot cleaner, but my putting over the last few weeks has been shocking.

Off with the works golf society to Forest Pines in Lincolnshire in July for 2 rounds of golf.

I generally play here:-http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hotel-information/golf-courses/emags-marriott-breadsall-priory-hotel-and-country-club/
    It has 2 courses which are always in good condition.

6. Andr3w

Capodecina

I'm gutted...i haven't played since last sunday...and i won't be able to play for another 8 days....ARGH :(

Im working over 88hours in the next 7days

7. kefkef

Mobster

That's not good. I've got a lesson tomorrow night, playing friday afternoon & Saturday morning, not trying to make you jealous or anything like........ :D

Looking forward to playing Woburn Abbey in early July, heard it's a pretty demanding track, off to La Manga after that for 10 days too.

8. Richard_16v

Wise Guy

Had a work commitment last time I was meant to play Woburn so had to miss it, but from what I hear and have seen it looks fantastic, I'm sure 2 of the 3 courses are rated as some of the top in the country and host various pro tours.

I'm playing Friday and looking forward to trying out my new Scotty putter :)

9. kefkef

Mobster

Had a good round early saturday morning, until the beer from fri night wore off! haha. Went out in 37 including a nice eagle on a 310yd par 4 (drove the green and 4ft putt, dont ask me how i did it, i couldn't even keep track of the ball!!) and even started with two double bogeys!! Fell apart after the turn, hangover kicked in, beer sweats etc, came back in 47.

Anyone else play over the weekend?

10. leaskovski

Sgarrista

Ohh, good thread, and good tip on the Macgregors. I shall have a look to see if I can find a set. Thanks :D

11. booyaka

Capodecina

usual Saturday medal for me.

Recently cut down to 11 handicapp from 13 after a few lessons, playing well etc - couple of good scores last month (net 67 & 68)

Medal started badly, double bogied the first after a poor tee shot but steadied the ship a bit by finishing front 9 with 4 pars (out in 6 over)

Parred the 10th so looking ok at the moment and then........

Tripled 11th, double 12th and double 13th - round over!!!!

Birdied par 5 last to scrap home in net 76.

Outwith that - anyone see the abatross from Echenique yesterday in Germany.

Sank his approach shot at the par-five last for a 2 with a 243-yard three-iron cut into the green and rolled up to the hole and dropped in!!! nice work - back nine of 27!!!!

12. mad_allan

Mobster

We had our club champs on Saturday, shot level gross over 36 holes to finish 13th Net and 30th overall so not a bad day out considering I had 13 3 putts in the 2 rounds! If I had my putting stroke with me, I would have been in contention for the net and top 10 gross! Never mind, played 9 yesterday and shot 3 over (38).

13. pull2808

Hitman

Played friday and shot a 92 (3 over) from my handicap of 18. Played my club course sunday morning and shot an 83 which net was 65. Played fairly crap though, few out of bounds and bad drives. Hope to shoot a 79 sometime this summer (Already had an 80)

Since its my first post in here il list my clubs:

Taylormade 10.5deg Tour Burner - Stiff
    Taylormade Vsteel 2 5 wood - Stiff
    Ping G10 Irons 5-pw - Stiff Steel
    Titlelist Vokey 52deg
    Callaway Xforged 56deg
    Callaway Xforged 60deg
    Oddysey White Hot XG Marxman Blade

Ball of choice: nxt's, ad333's or warbirds.

14. booyaka

Capodecina

any reason for the different make of wedges - looking for a couple of new wedges myself as my mizuno black ox's have been used for about 4 years now!!

15. pull2808

Hitman

16. Ben17

Associate

Guys,

Ive been slicing my drive for a while it does it most of the time and its killing me!

I've tried everything, really i have.

Anyone had any experience with this and what are the solutions!!

17. pull2808

Hitman

Alignment really, make sure the ball is just inside your front heel and take a slow and low pick up. Apart from that make sure your bottom hand isnt too far open.

18. kefkef

Mobster

Have you tried a lesson or two? I was a horrendous slicer of the ball with the driver, main fault was out/in swing rather than in/out. This took a couple of lessons and a lot of practice in between to sort out, but has now sorted my driving out so i now only hit 1 or 2 out of twenty badly (and that is more of either a fade or block).

19. Ben17

Associate

Yeah ive read up on the in/out swing and im pretty sure thats definatly the problem, going for a round again tomorrow so will report back hopefully with the news its improved :) thanks guys

20. booyaka

Capodecina

cheers - thanks for the info