Golf Thread

Associate
As kefkef says, try and get some lessons, I suffered with an out to in swing which meant I sliced the ball, I tried several "Todays Golfer" style remedies that after a while when I managed to sort my swing plane out I had developed a hook :( so I then had to undo all my other changes to hit it straight. A few lessons along the way helped. I now can work the ball both ways - sometimes even when I mean to ;) and i'm slowly getting to be a better golfer

Associate
played up at Ramsdale - 7.20 tee off http://www.ramsdaleparkgc.co.uk/the-seely-course.asp on sunday morning. first time i've played this course, i have to say it was excellent if a little short. lots of challenging approaches to greens surrounded by deep bunkers, very hilly and a sweet elevated tee shot over ponds and trees on the par 5 15th.

went round in 88 - 2 under my handicap of 19. played pretty poorly if i'm honest, really gashed some tee shots (pee rolers 100yds kind of thing) but escaped with nothing worse than a triple. missed out on a 20ft birdie putt by about 3mm (still don't know how it didn't drop), holed a couple of good par putts and had a few good approaches.

re the slicing thing, i have it too especially off the tee and with long irons when i try and hit it too hard, my shoulders turn after my hips, opening the club face and creating the slice. if i control my swing speed it seems to help, as it doesn't happen consistently.

when i had my first lessons it was from the pro who taught all the county young golfers. i used to struggle with thinking about what i was having for dinner on my downswing so i'd fluff it completely, so it was more of a mental lesson from the guy. he told me to focus at a spot on the ball i wanted to hit, and make a swing to hit it (I guess because most of the basic swing mechanics were there), and low and behold it went like a rocket.

if i struggle now it's when i thin it, happens a lot of the fairways, it goes a fair distance but trajectory is low and runny as opposed to high and soft.

Associate
Quick question about stand bags on golf trolleys. With the current heat we are going through, I am going to invest in a trolley. ( Really suffered today carry it all around)

Will most stand bags fit on a standard pull golf trolly ?

Associate
Quick question about stand bags on golf trolleys. With the current heat we are going through, I am going to invest in a trolley. ( Really suffered today carry it all around)

Will most stand bags fit on a standard pull golf trolly ?

Yeah its fine if you put the bag on sideways so the catch that opens the stand at the bottom isnt touching the trolley :)

Soldato
OP
Bah only girls have a trolley! And big girls have a trolley that moves by itself :p

I carry it around the whole course.

I am a real man.

Rawr

:p

Soldato
OP
I carry a full set on my back in carry bag. With all the stuff i need in it (jumpers etc incase/water/foods)

I am going to play today for the first time in 3 weeks. YAH

Soldato
After getting a trolley, you will see the error of your ways carrying a full bag :D

Agrre there! Played on Wed afternoon, car temp read 30c, decided to just carry half a set, 6 balls and 2 bottles of water. Water was gone by the 8th hole, i think it just went straight into my stomach and back out through my sweat glands, i now know what GAC is for........ (google it with golf and you'll see what i mean!). Needless to say, a GoKart golf trolley is on the shopping list this summer!

:D

Naf

Naf

Associate
Pah! Buggies ***!! The benefit of playing a round with my dad who can't walk very well :D

Plus it means beers whilst playing a round and then more beers in the clubhouse afterwards as I'm not driving :cool:

I never used to carry my clubs round though, always used a trolley. (Only played 3 rounds after a 5 year break, used to play with a few mates from School when I was 12/13 each week and used a trolley then) I'll stick with a buggy for now ;)

Associate
...You can get closer to the greens and generally take a shorter more direct route than when with a trolley or cart :)

Associate
...Greetings, glad to see some golfers on here :)

The 'bag' eh?

Mine consists of:

Taylormade R7 10.5° Driver (draw)
Taylormade R7 3w (draw)
Taylormade Burner 22° 4w
Taylormade RAC os Irons 3-pw
Nike Tour SV 52° GW
Titleist Vokey 54° w (oilcan)
Titleist Vokey 58° w (oilcan)
Titleist Scotty SS Cameron Newport 2
Ping Latitude stand bag
Pro V1s / Nike 'one' or some old Titleist HVC from Costco which are surprisingly good and very cheap :D

Used to be a member at Rufford Park, just joined Ramsdale Park.- Notts.

Bestest score was a 77 (44 points off 14) last week in fact :)

My tip for the 'slice problem' is to move your right leg ahead of your left slightly at address (assuming you're not a leftie ;)). This helped me keep my drives straighter. Also check your distance from the ball. Too far away will promote a slice as well as you're stretching.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been trolling this section of the forums for a little while now, having picked up a second hand set of Howson clubs off of flea-bay a little while ago.

Had only been up the local driving ranges a few times, and my short irons (PW & SW) are what I'm most comfortable and accurate with. Have been hitting the SW around the 100 yard mark on occasions as well.

Anyway, last night I ventured out to do my first proper 9 holes last night (Daventry Golf Club course). Well it certainly was an eye opener as to how poor my long game actually is! Around and actually on the greens (chipping & putting) I'm pretty good and managed some nice chips onto the greens and sank a couple of nice putts as well.

Managed to go round the first 9 in (and please don't laugh to loud or hard!) 72 :( The out 9 is par 34. My mate I was playing with managed a 58 and scored his first ever birdie on hole 7, a lovely 7 iron tee shot that landed on the green about 2' from the hole :eek:

I'm definitely going to have to sort myself out with some lessons, and perhaps some better clubs?

The one thing I'm struggling with at the moment, and I have no idea why, is as follows: during my practice swings and trying to improve my grip I'm doing a full back swing and following through nicely. But as soon as I step up to actually hit a ball, my back swing is only going about 3 quarters back instead of a full back swing. It just doesn't feel right for some unknown reason to do the full back swing when it comes to hit the ball. Doing my head in at the moment if Im honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dont worry mate, when i first started about 4months ago i was getting in the high 60's.
im now down to around 49/50/51/ for 9holes on my course. Havent played for 3 weeks still, i need to play this weekend.

Caporegime
How do people, well, get into golf? I've always fancied playing, at least trying it but no one I know plays, a few family friends but no one I'd want to go with.

I was considering a few lessons to get started as it seems lessons tend to start on a driving range and going for a round, without ever having played before seems like a bad idea.

DO people here all play with partners, anyone play on their own, did everyone start with a few lessons or someone who gave them some pointers.

One last question, how bad/good are hired clubs. Will your game improve immeasureably with fitted clubs that you like the feel of and can get used to, and at what stage does buying some cheap clubs become a needed step. IE you've had 10 lessons with hired clubs, like it but suck on the course, or do people only buy there own way down the line?

EDIT:- Any recommended places that focus on teaching, have a great teacher, or a great beginner course in west london? Having a quick look around Richmond, something in twickenham, and a place between chisick/hammersmith are the closest places to me.

out of interest, how much did people spend here on their first set of clubs, did you get a set, or buy separately?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom