Golf Thread

Associate
I think golf is good with a partner but sometimes its good to have rounds on your own, i think so anyway so you can just concentrate on your own game and you get a good rhythm and no distractions.

I started playing seriously about a year ago and i havent had any lessons. I'd start off just getting to know the game and the clubs. Spending a while just going to the range and getting used to the clubs and how far you can hit them. I bought a really cheap starter set and got good with that, now im in the process of upgrading to better clubs which i think is the way to go. Once you are really comfortable with your clubs and feel your hitting everything well its time to upgrade and you will get used to them and see a noticeable difference in how far you hit your irons for example with better clubs.

Good luck with it :)

Caporegime
the thing of it is, because I don't know anyone who plays I don't really know whats the "normal" thing, do people just go for a round with friends till they think they might want to play more. Does almost everyone start off on the driving range so they can at least hit the thing by the time they hit a golf course, without someone to i guess, show you the ropes, i'm not really sure of the best way to give it a go.

i think i might go for a lesson or two, see how I like it and go from there.

Soldato
Drunkenmaster, the best way to start is by going up to your local driving range and book yourself some lessons. Perhaps see if you can get one or two of your mates interested?
You should find that many pro's will do deals on teaching two or three of you at a time. After a few lessons with the pro teaching you the basics of grips, swing, stance, shortgame etc etc, and plenty of hours on the range, you will finally want to venture out onto the course.

I cannot stess the importance of lessons from the start, it will stop you from ingraining bad habits from the off, which can be a nightmare to fix later on down the line. It will also put you in good standing once you do finally get on the course. Believe me there's nothing worse than hacking your way round a nice golf course with absolutely no idea how you're supposed to hit the bloody ball!

As for clubs, see if you can borrow some from a friend or perhaps hire them from the range. This way you don't spend a fortune on something you might not like. If once you've had a few lessons and driving range sessions you think you might want to take it more seriously, then this is the time to start looking at maybe a decent set of second hand irons (3 or 4 iron to sand wedge) a 3 or 5 wood and a putter. Forget the driver initially, you can work up to that once you're hitting your 3 wood proficiently.

Just remember keep your head still (no meerkat impersonations simples :D), don't try to knock the skin off the ball let the club do the work, keep a nice smooth tempo on your swing, and practice practice practice, paying particular attention to your shortgame as this is where you'll save most of your shots from.

One last thing that a lot of beginners forget is course etiquette, but that is for another post as it's 3:17:eek:

Soldato
As has been said, get up the range and have some lessons. They will supply some clubs at first during each lesson, and also if you just pop along they always have clubs they will let you borrow whilst you are there. After a series of lessons then think about having a go on a local municipal course, you wont get frowned at by the members and it wont really make much difference if you do have the odd hacking moment. Just remember that if there is a group behind you then let them through if they are going faster than you and when on the greens always fix at least your divot and also try to fix one more if you spot them.

When i started i did all that and haven't looked back since, the Pro at the range gave me a set of old clubs to start with (if they have a shop they do get old 2nd hand sets traded in that they won't be able to sell on so they just bin them anyway), i then bought a set from ebay for £100 which had everything, then after a year of playing got myself fitted for a decent branded set.

Caporegime
cheers guys, I think i'd decided on a few lessons at one of the local clubs (which all seem to have a driving range) and I'm fairly sure lessons start on the range. seems to be £20-25 for a half hour lesson with a pro/assistant to pro and £40ish for an hour. One place has a "fast track" thing that does £99 for 3 1 hour lessons if you book all in one week. That place also does a £60 on course lessons. So i'm thinking a couple short lessons to see if I like it, if I do do the £99 deal then probably try a few rounds then have a lesson while going around.

Its good to have confirmation of what people are doing though. My dad has mentioned trying golf so might see if the he fancies it, he needs something to do when he retires anyway :p But no one else I know plays, or wants to :(

EDIT:- Most websites for clubs mention club hire, but not shoe hire, do any/many places do that as most clubs say golf shoes are required(assume they aren't needed for the driving range or am I wrong there?).

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi fellows Golfers (nice to see a golf thread)

I have been playing golf since i was 16 (24 yrs ago :o) my dad got me started, and paid for 6 lessons and i have loved and hated golf ever since.

I got down to single figures by the time i was about 21, and have played to a fairly decent standard every since. I used to have a job (from the age of 17, for 13 yrs) where i did shift work, 6-2 & 2-10, so this gave me lots of time to play. I miss those days :(

I currently use:
Wilson RM irons 3-LW (only my 3rd set since starting)
Taylor Made Driver R360ti
Titleist F3 Fairway
Odessey Dual force Putter

The reason i say i have loved & hated golf, probably in the same amounts, is that when i played well, i loved it, and hated it when it didn't.

Back when i was playing a lot of golf, i got to a point where, if i did not play well i did not enjoy it!
I would come off the course in a foul mood if i had played badly (by badly i mean over my handicap), to the point where i gave up golf, it embarrasses me to admit, but i must have been hell to play with if i was playing badly :(

Those days are along way behind me now and i dont look back on them fondly, I have nothing but love for the game now, and enjoy every round i get to play, regardless of my score.

Favorite courses:

Newbury & Crookham GC (home course)
Brokenhurst Manor GC
Stoneham GC
Estoril GC, Portugal
Penha Longa Mosteiro Course, Portugal
LeamChabang Internationalng Country Club, Thailand

I have been lucky enough to have played dozens of courses but if i could only play one more round on a sunny day it would be on one of those, unless Augusta would let me in :)

Thats enough for now, sorry ive gone on a bit, ill leave you with a couple of video clips my mate took a last weekend on his Tocco Ultra, one in slo-mo very, cool and one normal.

Slo-Mo (swing starts at 28 sec, mate started the vid a bit early :rolleyes:
Normal Speed

Best advise to new golfers is to have some lessons from a pro!

Favorite saying is: it aint how, its how many ;)

oh and fav shot saying is a 'Sally Gunnell' = Ugly but a good runner, always makes me laugh.

Last edited:
Associate
Just bought myself a nike tech elite cart bag, just need to buy a cart/trolley now and i'll have much less exerting rounds of golf :)

Soldato
OP
A lad i work with just spent £180 on a set of ram golf clubs and £180 on an electirc golf trolley....WHY WHY WHYYY???

I was going to play last night but it rained heavily!

Soldato
Interesting Round at the weekend for me

Captains/Vice Captains Trophy. Played as full handicapp stableford.

Playing off 11 at the moment - birdied the 1st, 5th, 11th and 15th - new record for me with 4 birdies in 1 round. Only downside was i followed up 3 of the birdies with double bogies at the next hole!!! Hit the ball really well, ended up with 37 points with one hole not scoring so should hopefully get a small cut in the handicap again!

Playing quarter final of club singles matchplay tonight and then quarter final of the doubles on thursday so fingers crossed for a good week!!!!!

Soldato
Played for the first time in 3 months or so on the weekend down at a public course that I'd never played before called Silvermere. Not a bad course, quite tight and very dry, although the greens were in great condition. Was a bit rusty on the opening nine, but was 4 over coming back, which is pleasing. Not had 2 birdies in a row before.

Am visiting my parents this weekend, so will look to have a round with my old man at Long Ashton in Bristol.

Soldato
but not shoe hire, do any/many places do that as most clubs say golf shoes are required(assume they aren't needed for the driving range or am I wrong there?).

You wont need them for the range, and most municipal courses are ok with trainers, but the best bet is to just get yourself a cheap pair for £20-30 from last years stock, will help with giving you a stable base on the ground for your sing and stop you sliding around as much as trainers.

Soldato
Well, I think I will contribute to this thread now!

Decided a couple of months ago that I was finally going to try and turn myself into a half decent golfer. I've taken it easy so far with just driving range visits. Not got my own clubs, just some we had off a tenant who got sent to prison. They're not too bad though.

Not got a very natural swing, or at least it doesn't feel very natural. I'm 6'3" so I think I'm quite large compared to the clubs and they sometimes feel too small, so maybe at some point I am going to have to get some custom ones.

Anyway, my friend's cricket team is having a golf social on Friday - a Stableford tournament! Myself, my brother, and two friends - one of which is a keen golfer - is our team. Pretty nervous about the whole thing but at least I get a handicap of 24 with it and an opportunity to see what I'm like on the course.

Driving range can be hit and miss. I hit it in a straight line at least 80% of the time, only really struggling when I lift my head on contact with the ball - schoolboy error!

Anyway, I will be sure to let you all know how I got on - then I'll be getting in touch with my pro golfer cousin who supplies shops with golf gear to see if I can get any discount on some custom beginners clubs :p

Wish me luck :)

Soldato
Hi fellows Golfers (nice to see a golf thread)
Favorite courses:

Newbury & Crookham GC (home course)
Brokenhurst Manor GC
Stoneham GC
Estoril GC, Portugal
Penha Longa Mosteiro Course, Portugal
LeamChabang Internationalng Country Club, Thailand
Hi to a fellow Thai golfer!

Laem Chabang?! Seriously, did you only play that course in Chonburi or did you visit any of the other ones? Green Valley Rayong? (Million times better), Great Lakes (better), Eastern Star (more interesting), Century Ban Chang (much harder), Soi Dao (not Chonburi and a long drive from there but arguably the most beautiful course in Thailand).

Laem Chabang is fly-invested, water-logged on the Lakes 9 and generally not worth the inflated price tag.

IMO of course.

Soldato
Ooh a golf thread! Missed this until now.

I too have been bitten by this money-sapping bug recently. Took the game up last year with a dirt cheap set (£100 for the lot, trolley and all!) and have since replaced everything, including the trolley! :D

Currently using MD Golf clubs along with a Ping driver. In my bag is the driver, 2 rescues, irons 4 to PW, and 56 and 60 degree wedges. Oh and obviously a putter :p Whilst they weren't that expensive (about 450 IIRC for all the clubs), they are pretty decent quality and better than the cheap stuff by a long way.

As for golf balls, I use pretty much anything except Top Flite (they are horrible on and around the green!) for now, although I do like the Precept Laddie Extreme as they have a nice feel on and around the greens without giving up too much distance off the tee.

Have just recently got my 1st handicap - 24. I would ideally like to get this below 20 this year, 18 is my target.

I struggle a lot at the minute with inconsistency. I can walk on the course, make 5 pars in a row, then double or treble bogey the next 5! Grrr, such a frustrating game. :p

But it's the great shots that keep you coming back! There's nothing quite like leaving a wedge 2 feet from the cup for birdie! :D

For anyone like me, just learning the game, I have found the videos on this site very helpful...

http://www.golftipsmag.com/

...and they also have podcasts too. Pretty decent to be fair.

Last edited:
Soldato
Playing quarter final of club singles matchplay tonight and then quarter final of the doubles on thursday so fingers crossed for a good week!!!!!

woohoo - 3&2 victory last night in the singles - played solid again - only 3 over par on the way out to be 4 up at the turn, a bit of a wobble losing the 11th & 13th when i had shots! but steadied the ship with a good par 3 at the 14th and a solid 5 net 4 for the victory at the 16th!!

Bring on thursday doubles match!!!

Soldato
Hi to a fellow Thai golfer!

Laem Chabang is fly-invested, water-logged on the Lakes 9 and generally not worth the inflated price tag.

IMO of course.

Hey Mike

It was 4yrs ago i went, but i dont remember ANY of the coarses being as you describe.
Another fav was Siam Country Club, great coarse, We went the last week in October 2005 for 10 days, sayed in Pattaya, one of the best holidays ive ever had.

IMO ;)

Back
Top Bottom