(Golf) Utility Clubs

Associate
If your just starting out a driver can be soul destroying if you don't catch it right.
In my bag:
Ping G2 10 degree reg Aldila flex shaft
Adams Tight Lies 3+5 wood
Taylor Made 4 rescue club 22 degrees
3-Sw Taylor Made RAC HT reg steel shafts 1.5" long
60 degree lob wedge (no name) good club though
Taylor Made Rossa Monza putter.
Handicap used to be about 12 with my old clubs (Wilsons), since I've changed to the Taylor Made's it has gone up to 19-20.

Soldato
OP
Holy information overload, Batman! Thanks for all the repies directed at me, guys, and thanks to everyone else for adding their two-penneth' worth - all makes for interesting reading.

Off down the range now, will hopefully have something new in my bag when I come back. Might even have a new putter if the second-hand bin is still holding the one I've been lusting after at full price.

Soldato
OP
If anyone is in the slightest bit interested, I took the advice of Sadgeek and a few other sources and went for a Cleveland Halo. I'll be trying her out tomorrow.

As an aside, does anyone fancy swapping a sleeve of golf balls for another brand? I'm currently playing Nike Mojo II and Maxfli Noodle Ice but fancy having a go with a different brand - unfortunately my local pro shops only sell Titleist by the sleeve.

Soldato
glitch said:
If anyone is in the slightest bit interested, I took the advice of Sadgeek and a few other sources and went for a Cleveland Halo. I'll be trying her out tomorrow.

As an aside, does anyone fancy swapping a sleeve of golf balls for another brand? I'm currently playing Nike Mojo II and Maxfli Noodle Ice but fancy having a go with a different brand - unfortunately my local pro shops only sell Titleist by the sleeve.

I'd have gone for the Callaway Heavenwood again tbh, but I'm sure you'll like it.

I'd suggest you try something like Wilson Ultra Distance or Dunlop DDH... or the cheapest ones you can get... I've only got to the stage where I can go a whole 18 holes without losing more than 2 balls.

The reason I suggest these is that IMO as a newer golfer should be using harder cased, 2 piece balls so they spin less and go futher off a drive..

When you have a consistant swing you're confident with, then you should work out what balls to use. :) I used to use Callaway HX Red, but they are not being made anymore, so I'm looking for a good replacent.

I have a box of Titleist Pro V1s I'm using at the mo.

Try the Callaway ball fitter thing on their site.
HTH.

Associate
it's interesting about balls, i'd probably disagree with you about buying the cheapest. i used to use the crappest ones i could find, super hard distance balls and i recently switched to the Callaway HX Blue (after recommendations on here actually) and i'm not going to look back tbh.

they are long, give me good control around the green (i can spin them) and i've started shooting better scores as a result. im off 19, but im playing well under that, shot net 66 at the weekend and improving all the time. it's all down to the balls :D

nin9a

Soldato
OP
jpmonkey69 said:
I'd have gone for the Callaway Heavenwood again tbh, but I'm sure you'll like it.

I'd suggest you try something like Wilson Ultra Distance or Dunlop DDH... or the cheapest ones you can get... I've only got to the stage where I can go a whole 18 holes without losing more than 2 balls.

The reason I suggest these is that IMO as a newer golfer should be using harder cased, 2 piece balls so they spin less and go futher off a drive..
Didn't get on with the Callaway. I felt the Halo had a better sole and allowed me to hit the shots I wanted to get from both the tee and the deck. Plus I got a graphite shafted one for £70 so I'm dead chuffed.

TBH I've gone off the cheaper, harder, 2-piece balls and I'm looking for something with a little more feel. I'm hitting the ball consistently at the moment and really need to find some touch on and around the green to help my scoring.

nin9abadga said:
i recently switched to the Callaway HX Blue (after recommendations on here actually) and i'm not going to look back tbh.
Where did you get those from? Would you sell/swap a sleeve?

Associate
i've only got 3 left :D im playing on a tough course with lots of trees in about an hour so they are likely to disappear! i need to buy some more tbh but im skint until payday. you can get them online at various places, plus you can get them in the american golf shops (where i got these from), but they aren't stocked in my pro shop (they have the black HX Tour).

this thread >> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17593612&highlight=golf+balls
has a few other recommendations too. aren't those noodle balls quite soft?

nin9a

Soldato
OP
Well I hope you managed to come through your round unscathed and with a few left! I think I'll toddle down my local AG and see if they've got a few knocking about - guess it'll be the 12 unless they'll break a box.

The Noodles are quite soft, but not up to Pro V1 or Hx Blue standards. Heck, I even think NXT's are slightly softer!

Associate
glitch said:

Typical, no sooner does someone take my advice when the club suggested fails me.

Played at the Belfry on Friday afternoon and only lost one ball, when I lost sight of it on th 14th playing over the mounds at the turn with my Cleveland :mad:

Having said that, I came home with 42 points which I'm very happy with since I play off 28 [/bandit] :D

Oh the 19th was a great place for me to end up, especially since the whole round took 6 hours.

I hope the club fits into your game well, and you have many a happy round with it.

As for balls, I like the feel of the Srixons (currently the green-sleeved Soft Feel).

Happy to swap a sleeve if you're interested, or even join you (or anyone else) for a round if you're in the South.

Soldato
Must've missed this thread last week. Get the best balls you can afford. It breaks my heart to lose a ProV1 but fortunately that's about one per round. They're just so much better than all the rest.

As for the rescue club thing, I don't have one. Hell, I even carry a 1-iron and last week had the thrill of puring one from around 240yds out to just short of the green.

Callaway 7degree Biggest Big Bertha
Honma 3 & 5 wood (real Persimmon heads with Titanium Carbopn shafts)
Callaway Big Bertha 1-iron
3-SW Titleist DCI 962 (usually leave the SW out)
Oddysey BlackSpin 56degree wedge (has a composite carbon face)
Oddysey DualForce Rossie II putter

Handicap has been as low as 6 but these days I play so rarely it's more like 18.

Last edited:
Associate
I would agree, go with a driver. it is the hardest club to hit properly due to its flat face nd lack of loft, but when you do you will be :D

with regard to gold balls , get the best you can afford, or just buy a selection, and see which ones you like best.

in my bag :

taylor made r360 ti 10.5 degree regular flex graphite shaft
taylor made 200 steel 3 wood with light grahite shaft
adams tight lies 7 wood regular graphite shaft
3-sw wilson fat shafts custom fitted stiff steel shafts
odyssey dual force rossie 2 putter

handicap officially 28 but play off more like 18, just havent been a member of a club to get it down for the last 3 years, although have played fairly often.

Soldato
MikeTimbers said:
Callaway 7degree Biggest Big Bertha

Holy Cow - how do you hit that!!!

there are only about 3 pros that hit a 7 degree driver, any amatuer shouldn't consider anything under about 8.5/9 degrees at the minimum!

Soldato
OP
Sadgeek said:
Typical, no sooner does someone take my advice when the club suggested fails me.

Played at the Belfry on Friday afternoon and only lost one ball, when I lost sight of it on th 14th playing over the mounds at the turn with my Cleveland :mad:

Having said that, I came home with 42 points which I'm very happy with since I play off 28 [/bandit] :D

Oh the 19th was a great place for me to end up, especially since the whole round took 6 hours.

I hope the club fits into your game well, and you have many a happy round with it.

As for balls, I like the feel of the Srixons (currently the green-sleeved Soft Feel).

Happy to swap a sleeve if you're interested, or even join you (or anyone else) for a round if you're in the South.
Well it's a brilliant, brilliant club. Had a good session on the range before my round on Sunday and found myself hitting the back netting with regularity; also managed to shape my shots which is something I've never previously been able to do. My only problem is that I was too accurate with it off the tee - on three holes I gave myself a slight margin of error for a slice (and a light breeze) and managed to hoof the ball straight as an arrow into a gorse bush!

Having said that my erratic swing didn't do me any favours and I went round the front 9 at 2 under my handicap, then proceeded to royally bugger the back 9 up and shoot 10 over my 'handicap'. My short game (from >100 yards) needs some serious attention!

I'd happily swap a sleeve with you - just let me know what you want in return - and give me a month or so to get some consistency in my game and we'll have a round. I'm situated near J10 of the M4, just off the A329(M) so we can see if we can find somewhere inbetween us. Anyone else up for that?

Soldato
Glitch said:
I'd happily swap a sleeve with you - just let me know what you want in return - and give me a month or so to get some consistency in my game and we'll have a round. I'm situated near J10 of the M4, just off the A329(M) so we can see if we can find somewhere inbetween us. Anyone else up for that?

What course do you usually play?

I use The Dog in Sonning usually.

Soldato
OP
jpmonkey69 said:
What course do you usually play?

I use The Dog in Sonning usually.
Recently I've been round:

Downshire in Bracknell/Wokingham
Blue Mountain in Bracknell
Bird Hills in Maidenhead
Pineridge in Camberley

Man of Honour
glitch said:
Downshire in Bracknell/Wokingham
Blue Mountain in Bracknell
Bird Hills in Maidenhead
Pineridge in Camberley

Downshire is quite nice with plenty of water hazards to annoy you.
Blue Mountain is again not bad but a bit short.
Bird Hills I've never liked, it's never been in good nick when I've played & seems a bit 'up & down'
Pine Ridge had the potential to be a great course. It's a lovely layout in lovely grounds but they were shafted with the greens & they really let it down, that and the 5hr+ rounds of course:)

Soldato
OP
I played Bird Hills yesterday and I wasn't as impressed as when I played Pineridge, but as you say PR is a lovely course in lovely grounds.

All the greens @ BH were in top nick (looked like they'd be freshly mown the day before) and everything was looking fine - good job too as the company golf tournament is being held there on Friday!

Back
Top Bottom