1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone in 20 Minutes: using laptops to steal cars

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Firestar_3x, 10 May 2006.

1. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Interesting read, when this tech becomes mainstream all of the latest cars could be in for a hard time (security wise).

2. kitten_caboodle

Soldato

yeah this was covered in Auto Express. It's phenomenal really, just goes to show if they want it, they'll take it.

Edit: Just saw AutoExpress in the article :D

3. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

theifs, crooks, hackers...etc.

will always be one step ahead.

4. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

Very interesting, I've always been unsure about keyless entry systems, I think the way to go is having both mechanical locks and software plus some other form of hardware.

5. Glaucus

Man of Honour

All over hyped, Determined thievs will always be able to break ANY security device/system. However it takes the chavs and less skilled thieves out the equation.

6. agw_01

Capodecina

That's a very interesting read.

Quite scary just what technology these theives have developed. Just shows that nothing is safe.

7. lozza23_uk

Wise Guy

just as well I dont own an expensive motor then.

it is clever, but then thieves always have been.

8. Lopéz

Man of Honour

The only way a laptop is going to be used to help steal my car is by lobbing it through the window :p

9. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

You can get some brick like laptops off e-bay for £20 :p

10. lozza23_uk

Wise Guy

such a good idea. video spoof idea brewing. now if Only I had spare glass for my mondeo.....

11. Vertigo1

Capodecina

No system is foolproof. At the end of the day, if they want your car badly enough they'll show up with a low loader and pick the thing up off the ground.

12. Gav

Wise Guy

Or most peoples car. This story seems way to far fetched for my liking. For one thing they would have to have broken into the car so that they could access the cars internal systems if they wanted to get the code for the cars alarm system. If they were hoping to hit the remotes code using a transmitter of some description then they only have about 15 billion to go through. As well as that the cars alarm system and immobiliser use 2 different codes so that would double the amount of work they would have to do.

13. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Why?

The signal is wireless!

14. Gav

Wise Guy

To gain access to the cars systems you have to connect to it via the diagnostics plug and thats not wireless.

15. F355

Mobster

You could use brute force over RF which is what is used to unlock the car (and act as the key on more expensive cars).

20 mins to steal a car is a long time! It shows how the technology has evolved in a good way. With a car from the 60's you could probably steal it in a matter of seconds.

16. Gav

Wise Guy

X5's use a transponder which is embedded in the key, which it needs to start the car.

17. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Aerial loop around the steering column which reads the transponder key signal, remote key press to open all doors, with time you can hack either using a laptop without connecting it to the car.

No doubt the top end x5 has keyless entry and start button without having to use a key.

18. Cyanide

Mobster

"Because the decryption process can take a while — up to 20 minutes"

They'll have fun when the new Intel Meron chips ship! :eek:

19. Gav

Wise Guy

The cars system has a rolling code which changes everytime the remote is pressed. It needs to see 3 codes in sequence to disarm and unlock. These codes are random and there are supposed to be around 15 billion to choose from. It would take a good bit more than 20 min to work that out.

The immobiliser also has a changing code system which makes it one of the most advanced immobiliser systems available. Again it needs to see 2 codes before it will disarm. If the car is bombarded with codes then the system shuts down.

20. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

First of all, yes you might have 15 billion combinations but you might not have to process 15 billion or hit the system with that many, your assuming he has to go through all the codes and will only firgure it out on the last one.

Yes the codes are in a rolling sequance all you need to do is scan when the key is pressed and that will set you off with a good sequence to start with.

It can quite clearly be done, this aint the first time i've heard about this.