Gone in 20 Minutes: using laptops to steal cars

Caporegime
thats the problem with these things

doesnt matter how many different combinations there are if the 5th code the software trys happens to be the correct one. Its slim odds, but then again isnt winning the lottery ?

Gav

Gav

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
First of all, yes you might have 15 billion combinations but you might not have to process 15 billion or hit the system with that many, your assuming he has to go through all the codes and will only firgure it out on the last one.

Yes the codes are in a rolling sequance all you need to do is scan when the key is pressed and that will set you off with a good sequence to start with.

It can quite clearly be done, this aint the first time i've heard about this.

The chances of hitting the right combination TWICE (one for the immobiliser and one for the alarm) are exceptionally slim. Probably beyond even possible. I have also heard of these things happening before but they are pure speculation. I have been involved with vehicle security systems for many years and i have never heard of anyone busting the "Random Rolling" systems that the manufacturers now use. If it had been done then we in the trade would have heard about it long ago.

My view is that the article was probably written by someone who had very little experience in this field and probably made it up as he saw fit.

Back
Top Bottom