Good Bike lock needed

Caporegime
I need a good bike lock.

My new ebike comes soon and it's too expensive not to skimp on the lock

Its an ebike so ill obviously take the battery out.

Id be leaving it during day at work (believe they have a bike shed). But I'd also like to go on day trips with it.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Soldato
I use 2 locks for my ebike should I ever need to leave it unattended for more than a few seconds (which is unlikely)

They are the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and the Kryptonite New York U-Lock.

Cost around £200 for the pair when I got them, even then I'm super vigilant about leaving my bike anywhere, I keep it indoors as well, no way I'd leave it in a shed as its a 5k bike.

Soldato
I use a Halfords U-Lock and a Yale chain and padlock.

There's a guy around here, before the lockdown, that rides a YT Jeffsy pro and leaves it locked to a small fence around a tree with two Poundland locks. **** knows how it's never been nicked as this place is considered quite dodgy, but it was there in the morning when I walked past it and it was still there later in the day. So either Poundland locks are immense value for the £1 or he simply doesn't give a ****.

Soldato
Good backpack also required. Decent locks weigh a ton!

My kryptonite fahgettaboudit chain is like 3kg with 15mm chain links, its basically a shorter motorcycle chain. I always go by the general rule of 5-10% of your bikes value on security if your going to be leaving it unattended. Mines left indoors or in a secure enclosure at work with cctv and ID entry, even then I lock it up still (obviously don't carry the locks with me though, they are left at work)

Soldato
I highly recommend Abus locks and/or a high end Kryptonite.

The general advice is to spend 10% of the bikes value on locks. I'd spend twice that. Double up and use locks of different types. The more difficult you make it, the less likely you are to be a victim.

If the lock is going to be left outside in the rain often, I'd give it a regular spray of grease to stop it from rusting internally.

Caporegime
general advice is check a youtube review and see how easy what your buying is to break in to.
some look good then there opened with a paper clip

Caporegime
Caporegime
I highly recommend Abus locks and/or a high end Kryptonite.

The general advice is to spend 10% of the bikes value on locks. I'd spend twice that. Double up and use locks of different types. The more difficult you make it, the less likely you are to be a victim.

If the lock is going to be left outside in the rain often, I'd give it a regular spray of grease to stop it from rusting internally.

Advice is never leave it in a public space. I bought locks to keep them locked up at home.

Caporegime
OP
Think I'm going to go for the abus folding (gold)
And a kryptonite D lock (silver)

I can (I've checked) use abus on the frame. And kryptonite in back pack.
Might be ok on short stops to just use abus and a lighter lock.
I'll use one on the front and one on the back and always remove my battery
From what I gather 2 decent locks is arguable better than 1 amazing ?
Also, do you guys think two different lock types (folding and D) will be even better than two D?

I've watched a lot of videos. Should add about 2.5kg to the bike.

Really, I'm guessing I'm asking is the abus granite 54 D with a cable better or worse than the two mentions?
I don't want to be adding more than 3kg!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Get the smallest D lock you can, that way you can fill the lock with the wheel/frame/street furniture to stop people using a leverage attack against it.

Associate
I have a Hiplock Gold wrapped around the seatpost/frame and an Abus Granite Extreme on the pannier rack. They weigh a ton but then so does the ebike. Cables don't seem worthwhile except maybe as a purely visual deterrent, bolt cutters will get through them in seconds.

Caporegime
Just ordered my first proper bike and keen to know the best combo for locking it up. My wife's bike is currently locked in the garden with a bog standard combination corded lock. When mine arrives and after reading this thread/other sources - seems a chain lock and D/U lock combination seems the best way? I would be locking it joined to my wife's bike.

Back
Top Bottom