Good Computers

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There are only a few uses for a high end PC, other than that I think people enjoy having the best, even though they don't use it. I'm sure a lot of people drive around in fast cars and don't make use of all the power, but they like to know they have it there.

Man of Honour
Nerds only?

Lol ok then.

I prefer that my applications load in the least time possible instead of having to sit around twiddling my thumbs watching the circular loading cursor while the cpu processes and the hdd thrashes away every time I boot my computer up.

It's NOT costly to have a very fast PC today and anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Overclocking is one area where anyone can freely increase the performance of their PC and manufacturers have made it so easy to do it by bundling software with machines that do everything automatically. It easily saves several hundred £.

Soldato
I bought mine so I can run several VM at once. i7 920 and 12GB of RAM. My graphics card is a 7800GT, which I added a passive cooler to...

Soldato
OP
My old graphics card was a 8800GT, it won't play the games I play now on my 24" monitor so yes it was needed. this 4870 handles everything apart from Crysis. :)

I have an 8800, it handles almost everything on my 24" screen. Even that new game 'risen' works in highest res.

The only thing i need is drive space as i mainly use my pc for media. Next upgrade is a DAC when i get some money :(

Soldato
"Work"? That's a little vague...

But personally I could work on a PC five years old just as well as I could this one.

I do a lot of vb programming, graphic design and cad work. But even general tasks seem slower on something which is a few years old.
I don't, maybe a top spec from 5 years ago running xp.

Soldato
Not being funny, but how can a computer bought 4 years ago, fully maxed out spec at the time, run modern games now in high settings. I bought a top of the range machine 3 years ago and the graphics card (8800 GTS) was outdated by last year at least.

Luckily it died and I now have a 4890.

Man of Honour
Why do people have fast powerful cars when all your allowed to do is max 70mph on the road?

For me it's about having something else tyo focus on rather than everyday problems and expenditure. Something to be passionate about and blow my money on. That said, I wouldn't just go out and blow £1000 on a new PC or parts for no reason. I'd do all the research and homework that comes with it. For me, that's half the fun..

Not being funny, but how can a computer bought 4 years ago, fully maxed out spec at the time, run modern games now in high settings. I bought a top of the range machine 3 years ago and the graphics card (8800 GTS) was outdated by last year at least.

Luckily it died and I now have a 4890.

Quite easy.. my 8800GTX still runs pretty much everything I throw at it. All the time developers are coding for an aging console market, things aren't likely to change for a bit.

Last edited:
Commissario
For me it's because I use the computer a lot, and having a good, fast machine means I can do multiple things at once on it, without having to wait for one to finish to do the next.

I also use it as my primary gaming platform:)

It's also a "hobby" ;) (and for many people a hobby may not be entirely logical).

Back
Top Bottom