Good game, shame about the ending - your choices?

Associate
wait? video games have endings? :p I suspect I've finished less than 1 in 10 games I've played. That being said I remember being disappointed end of assassins' creed 2, the weird time jump before the last mission, and then no real end to Desmonds story at all

Soldato
Final Fantasy VII

After all those countless hours (I had to start again because my brother deleted a 20 hour save file!), I was bitterly disappointed with the ending.

Thankfully the Advent Children movie came out, but that was a long wait.

Caporegime
The final boss? It was so bad that I couldn't believe that I'd actually completed the game at that point. Completely underwhelming.
Pretty much.

The whole game was a buildup to finding a vault holding untold treasures, and a big part of the game is the loot and the thousands of variations of guns, rare drops, etc.

Then you get to this big "vault" level, the game has started getting really enjoyable, then the vault turns out to be nothing more than a giant vagina monster, you kill it, and then the game is over. :p

Soldato
You kids don't know you're born! ;)

Bruce Lee on C64 ending - the game just starts again.

System Shock ending (not sure about this one - might have been another of that era) - game dumps you to DOS.

Soldato
I agree about Wasteland 3. Tbh I didn't really enjoy the entire last act.

I'd add Alien Isolation. Imo a very very underrated game that dragged at the end and was probably an hour or two too long. Still one of my favourite games ever though.

Oh and as for Mass Effect 3, as I say always when it's mentioned how bad the ending is- try replaying it and really pay attention, the whole game is nonsense(except for Rannoch and Tchunka) not just the last 15 minutes or last hour!

Soldato
Medal of Honour Allied Assault. One of my favourite games of all time, epic set pieces throughout, one of the most memorable single player episodes ever in the Omaha Beach level, thousands of hours played on multiplayer. But the ending to the single player campaign was pretty damn stark in its brevity and it's "that's your lot, the end" type vibe. To this date I have only played the single player campaign once. Despite this it is still number two on my all time list, Stalker being number one.

Soldato
Pretty much.

The whole game was a buildup to finding a vault holding untold treasures, and a big part of the game is the loot and the thousands of variations of guns, rare drops, etc.

Then you get to this big "vault" level, the game has started getting really enjoyable, then the vault turns out to be nothing more than a giant vagina monster, you kill it, and then the game is over. :p

The battle to reach the final boss against all the Guardians was harder than the boss fight.

The fight with the Rakk hive beastie was tougher for me as I did it with only a Lvl 20 something character.

Man of Honour
OP
You kids don't know you're born! ;)

Bruce Lee on C64 ending - the game just starts again.

System Shock ending (not sure about this one - might have been another of that era) - game dumps you to DOS.

I started gaming on a ZX-81. The first game I played involved an 'O' moving jerkily square by square across and down the screen in a semi-random way while I moved a '(-)' left and right at the bottom of the screen to "catch" the "ball". It was written in BASIC, printed in a magazine and typed in by people who'd bought that issue of the magazine (including me).

I hadn't thought about games that far back, but I would cut them some slack because of technical limitations of the time. Also, I think the ending of Wasteland 3 is much worse than the usual "GAME OVER" ending of those days or even just dumping you to the OS. Those games just didn't have an ending. Wasteland 3 has an actively bad ending.

Caporegime
You guys are spoilt now. I have played games since the Spectrum 48K days and endings were a couple of lines of text and credits.

As for todays games, has to be Alan Wake, Crysis and Nier Automata. Nier had so many endings but they were all crap.

Associate
I want to add Golden Sun: Dark Dawn to what I said before
8 years after the Lost Age this came out, so I leapt at the opportunity to pick up what I was sure would be another masterpiece after two nigh perfect games.

What I got was "go get your missing thingy oops you just saved the world by the way that's the entire game bye we'll see you in the next one" then 10 years of radio silence. Massive shame

Associate
Dying Light. Absolutely the best implementation of parkour ever in a game. Fighting is brilliant.
Let down by a crap quick time event for the end boss. I didn't get to use my awesome moves on him.

Good one, inspired a mini rant of my own. WTF were they thinking? A game when in the dark it's an amazing zombie game ends with a pathetic QTE in broad daylight with a really crappy human enemy. Why do so many zombie games and movies go with the tired old "hay guyz, the humans are real evil ones!" I could slap every writer that's ever done that.

Also a load of the bad and good guys look the same in that game, all seem to have been dark haired guys with moustaches. How scary is that supposed to be in a game with giant zombies and actually otherwise has a superb scary zombie atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom