1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Good GPU manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by StarSolitude, 20 Sep 2009.

1. StarSolitude

Gangster

"Powercolor" "Sapphire" "Palit" etc... Many manufacturers, but which are the reputable ones, and which are the ones to stay away from?

I've heard good things about Sapphire and XFX. Powercolor seems a bit cheap and tacky.

2. gurusan

Capodecina

Personally I've never given a hoot

3. chaparral

Capodecina

I normally go for the cheapest one now............

No point in buying out lots more cash for the exact same card with just a different sticker on it...

Last edited: 20 Sep 2009
  4. Richy1204

Hitman

I agree on that :) probably good cards tho but there aways cheaper then others most of the time.

Sapphire, XFX and ASUS all very good :)

5. beefybarn

Mobster

Had all makes of cards over the years, no one manufacturer stands out though, i now tend to go for the cheapest unless i need quiet cooling then i look at whats around.

6. samir_ansari

Hitman

depends on how fussed you are about warantee aswell, bfg and evga are great for that i hear

7. kylew

PermaBanned

Cheapest card or the one with the warranty you like the best.

All the GPUs are the same, they're made by TSMC and supplied to the manufacturer of cards that have to adhere to a specification.

Plus, I'm sure Sapphire make a load of reference cards that are packaged up and sold as other brands.

Or in simpler terms, Sapphire manufacturers cards, and 'lesser' companies box and label the cards with their own branding.

8. Jimbo Mahoney

Soldato

I generally go for the cheapest card.

Only problems I've ever had with this are that sometimes the cheapest card uses a non-reference design, which is more difficult to volt-mod since all the info is on the reference design.

For most people, this will be a non issue though :p

9. Scania

Capodecina

From what I've read here & elsewhere recently, BFG's is the only door you need to knock on. ;)

10. mdjmcnally

Wise Guy

This has sadly been true for some time now. The only time you start to see any differentiation between the cards is when wanting to shift the last batch out the door as a new one is imminent.

Look how long it took for the 4890 to start getting custom cards out the door. Only when everyone is expecting the 5870 to launch in a month or 2 and starts to put people off buying the existing tech do you start to get differences.

11. dunker

Mobster

yeah, shame the 260's arnt in stock anymore :(

12. Monkeynut

Soldato

Some of the very cheap brands have used really shoddy capacitors that kills the card after a year or two. :(

13. El Jimben

Mobster

+1, their RMA service is awesome and BFG cards tend to have a slightly higher resale value due to the warranty.

14. Fireblade2K4

Wise Guy

Agreed ... only ever dealt with BFG regarding a graphics card RMA before and they were excellent, very efficient and speedy, top marks!

Stu

15. gurusan

Capodecina

Guys BFG have not been like that for awhile, they are very strict on their warranties now and they don't transfer.

16. arc@css

Caporegime

Gigabyte, BFG, Visiontek, EVGA, Sapphire are examples of manufacturers that generally offer good rma support and service. There are others too.

17. TAC4U

Hitman

I've never had a problem with cheaper companies like Powercolor or XFX, so I tend to go for them. I'd happily pay a bit more if I thought it was worth it but I really don't think there's much in it.

18. Silent UK

Hitman

I've always stuck with EvGA & BFG, both of which you pay alittle more for but if your planning on keeping the card for some time it worth it for the extra service if RMA is needed.

19. C64

Capodecina

If I am going nvidia I get bfg, if I am going ati I get Gigabyte because both have UK rma's I don't want to support company's that cannot be bothered to have a uk rma centre.