Good memory for OC'ing?

Associate
Hello there, fellow OCUK'ers.

I have adquired a 3x2gb OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3 12800 1600 and am wondering if i am ok to OC my system with them. (system is a Asus R2E with an i7 920).

Thx in advance

Associate
OP
adrichard, exactly 4 ghz, its what i'm aiming. I presume then that i can get to that speed (teoretically, coz all chips are different) without messing with the memory settings?

Thx

Soldato
Have you set the RAM to the stock settings using the BIOS, or is it currently running at motherboard default speeds?

Either way, you will have to mess with memory settings. You will have to adjust the RAM speed as it will scale up with the increase in BCLK.

I suggest running it at or below spec speed. This means you can feel peace of mind that your memory is not running overclocked - and you aren't losing out on any performance advantage compared to OC RAM, as the X58 already has more than enough memory bandwidth.

Associate
OP
thanks for the info cmndr. I haven't built the system yet coz i'm still missing delivery on one or two parts, and since this will be the first overclock i attempt (i've been reading a lot on the subject the last few days) i wanna be sure that i have hardware that will handle it.

Back
Top Bottom