Good News - Tesco 99ron roll-out

Transmission breaker
Don
DreXeL said:
TBH I'm more interested in the calorific value of Tesco 99 ron. If it's higher than Optimax, then you should notice a difference straight away. I have found Texaco Super Unleaded 'feels' a bit better than Optimax, despite the slightly lower octane. I can only assume it has a higher calorific value.

Whats the standard value for bog standard 95ron, can it cause detonation/other problems if the calorific value is too high?

Soldato
Bigsy said:
Any Bristolians know if this has reached Bradley Stoke yet? I know they got it in Brislington but that's too far for me.

No mate, not yet. They only put in SUL (97) the end of last week or so, probably in preparation for the 99 hopefully :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Malt_Vinegar said:
Whats the standard value for bog standard 95ron, can it cause detonation/other problems if the calorific value is too high?

I'm no expert at it, it's just something that I've picked up from things I have read in these fuel debates.

I don't see how a higher calorific value would cause detonation problems, detonation resistance is purely down to the RON level.

Higher calorific value just means more energy is produced for every bang, so the better the calorific value, the more power you get. You also get better MPG, hence why you can get more to a tank from some fuels compred to others, even if the RON rating is the same.

Soldato
Im no chemist so maybe Dolph would be better to comment but I would expect most petrols to have roughtly the same calorific value accept for Tescos 99RON as it has 5% bio ethanol in it. Bio Ethanol has a lower calorific value (about 2/3 of petrol) but a higher RON value. So I would expect the Tescos 99RON to have a slightly lower calorific value but hardly anything significant as its only a loss of 1/3 of 5%

Back
Top Bottom