Good pair of cans £50-100? Also, what the hell at my EX-71s cable?! *pics*

Soldato

What's up with that? The cable has come to pieces, they still work, but I'm not sure for how much longer. Anyone else had this problem?

And, I'm after a pair of cans for £50-100 as I said. What do people recommend?

I heard the Grado SR60s are good? I need good bass :)

Cheers.

Soldato
You haven't been trying to clean them have you? The covering is very susceptible to heat and will shrivel up if rubbed with a cloth to get gunk off. Made that mistake with a white pair, but luckily only knackered the extension cable and didn't really need that anyway.

Soldato
OP
glitch said:
You haven't been trying to clean them have you? The covering is very susceptible to heat and will shrivel up if rubbed with a cloth to get gunk off. Made that mistake with a white pair, but luckily only knackered the extension cable and didn't really need that anyway.

Nope :( I clean the ear thingys, but not the cable. You use it without the extension!? I swear it's too short to be of any use, I can't have my MP3 player in my pocket and not use the extension :confused:

Soldato
Then somehow the cable has either been exposed to a high temperature (hot surface, flame, etc) or the cable has been rubbing against something for a reasonable period of time - it doesn't just go like that I'm afraid. My current pair have been in use for over a year, used for at least 3 hours a day, and look brand spanking new. Haven't loaned them out have you?

Use without the extension? Sure, it all depends on where I clip my remote control for my MD player.

Soldato
OP
glitch said:
Then somehow the cable has either been exposed to a high temperature (hot surface, flame, etc) or the cable has been rubbing against something for a reasonable period of time - it doesn't just go like that I'm afraid. My current pair have been in use for over a year, used for at least 3 hours a day, and look brand spanking new. Haven't loaned them out have you?

Use without the extension? Sure, it all depends on where I clip my remote control for my MD player.

Well, maybe it rubs against stuff, because I use my MP3 player every day and have the cord under my t-shirt. Not impressed it went like that though, never had it with any other headphones. It's made of a weird type of material.

Soldato
I fell asleep with mine on. Did worse than that. Got told by the purple shirts that "you have put acid on it, or melted it with naked flame"... Hmm, my old pair didn't do this. Sony production of this produced has deteriorated way too much.

I hate myself for loosing my old pair now.

Glitch "My current pair have been in use for over a year, "

Yes, because yours are the older style. buy a new pair and cry about the quality :(

Soldato
OP
Psypher5 said:
I fell asleep with mine on. Did worse than that. Got told by the purple shirts that "you have put acid on it, or melted it with naked flame"... Hmm, my old pair didn't do this. Sony production of this produced has deteriorated way too much.

I hate myself for loosing my old pair now.

Glitch "My current pair have been in use for over a year, "

Yes, because yours are the older style. buy a new pair and cry about the quality :(

Yea I go to sleep with mine on every night.

Soldato
OP
Psypher5 said:
Theres your answer then. Shops cant replace them, but if you ring sony support, the sony shop assured me they would be replaced with no questions. I just cba with them anymore.

Will they replace them even if I do have the receipt or whatever?

Associate
My EX71s did the same thing only last week. Bought them from a shop at Gatwick Airport. I took them back to a different shop but which are under the same group and they exchanged them for me. Apparently it is a common fault (info from another forum).

The new ones that I received feel like they are going to go the same way already. I checked the insulation on leads from the silver bead thing up. The shorter leads insulation feels really spongy but the longer lead is really nice and tight.

By the way, no acid or heat went near mine. I did fall asleep with them on (laying on the lead) I think this is what did it to me.

I have read that by wearing the lead around the back of your neck (which apparently is the correct way) also causes this problem.

When I called Sony direct - They were not helpful at all.

Soldato
Not got any experience in Grado SR60s unfortunately, I can recommend 'AKG K240 Studios' I think they are quite popular with recording studios funnily enough but they are very comfortable, well made and the sound quality is superb. Whilst the bass is not overwhelming it certainly can make itself heard and blends in quite nicely with other frequencies. They cost about £65-75. :)

daz

daz

Soldato
William said:
Not got any experience in Grado SR60s unfortunately, I can recommend 'AKG K240 Studios' I think they are quite popular with recording studios funnily enough but they are very comfortable, well made and the sound quality is superb. Whilst the bass is not overwhelming it certainly can make itself heard and blends in quite nicely with other frequencies. They cost about £65-75. :)

Absolutely, the AKG K-240 have a very neutral sound that makes it very well suited for studio monitoring. They're my favourites. :)

Associate
@daz, what are the 240s like in a quiet enviroment? I'll be using them at home for music production but also at work in the office. Are they going to annoy my colleagues? I'm not going to be using a high volume at work, but don't want to annoy people!

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom