Good quality wireless access point - £100?

Soldato
Ubiquiti.

Under budget, UAP-AC-LITE or LR
£20 over budget: UAP-AC-PRO
£50 over budget but much faster: NANOHD

I still have an AC-PRO attached to my x86 OpenBSD router and it's been flawless. The LR has a higher gain antennae but less capacity (probably not an issue at home), and the NanoHD is a newer model with higher speed AC wifi and 4x4 mu-mimo (for what that's worth). Stick the controller software on your NAS and/or in Docker, or else you can use the phone app to set it up. Fantastic bits of kit, very reliable and rock solid. Every config imaginable, from VLANS and multiple SSID (2.4 and/or 5 GHz) to captive portal and guest network restrictions.

Soldato
Unifi AC-Lite is my go-to for general usage, easily within budget new, expandable, decent LTS, decent management, well proven and capable hardware. Someone will likely be along shortly to tell you that TP Link amongst others use the same chipset and you can save a few quid, but like PC’s it’s not just about the chipset on the board.

Soldato
OP
Unifi AC-Lite is my go-to for general usage, easily within budget new, expandable, decent LTS, decent management, well proven and capable hardware. Someone will likely be along shortly to tell you that TP Link amongst others use the same chipset and you can save a few quid, but like PC’s it’s not just about the chipset on the board.

I rather like TP-Link :D

Currently have a lower end version of one of their access points but it does not cut it owing to geographical restrictions, mainly, old house and signal not reaching the back of the house.

Associate
TP-Link EAP245. Outperforms the Ubiquiti HD-Nano and can be had for £80. Was the best 'normal' AP of the old gen in testing, who knows what the best will be of the new ones but given their high price tag and needing 2.5gbps Ethernet means its going to be a long time before they become in normal home use.

Soldato
I've 2 Ac-pros. Can't say I've ever noticed the handover between them.
If anything has let them down its me tinkering...All the gear but no idea

I know the guys here can help you set up. But you can buy online and they do ll the set up for you. You just plug and play when its delivered

Associate
I use two Nano HD's with my Pfsense set-up. Work brilliantly. Was able to get full speed from them when I was on Virgin 350Mbps. No complaints with the hardware. I run them off an 8 port Ubiquiti switch and managed via an original cloud key.

Associate
Honor Router 3 WiFi 6+ £25 under your budget, and some degree of future proofing because its WiFi 6+ (cheapest on the market) Will do W A Point and mesh if you buy a second one. Reviews are good and speeds ridiculous at 3000Mbps, manufacturer is Huawei a corporate giant you have amost certainly heard of.

Associate
Hi all, I came across this and thought it relevant.

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3 in Modem mode connected to a Netgear Nighthawk 7000 router which serves WiFi duties.
This is also connected to a couple of gigabit switches that connect the ground floor to the loft via ethernet. In addition to these network points in the loft, I wat to extend fast wifi to the loft as well, using the gigabit switch n the loft to extend some type of wifi extending device.

What would be my best option ?
Would the TP-Link EP245 work ? Am I better off with 2 Honor 3 devices etc ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom