• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good value?

Associate
Thought this was a lot of CPU for the price :
AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W £120 Thoughts? Would a budget AM3+ mobo handle this? Worried about the wattage and not what you would call knowlegable. Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
An AM4 solution would be much better and more modern, what usage and budget.

You would preferably use a high end motherboard and cooling to cater for the AM3 9590 therefore it would not be recommended on a modest budget.

Soldato
You could pick up an R5 1600 for that sort of money and it'd run rings around the 9590 in any workload, even at stock. Granted, this involves buying some expensive DDR4 if you're not already on a DDR4 platform, but the options it opens up are worth it.

As for a budget motherboard and the 9590, that's unlikely to go well. In fact, the vast majority of boards specifically warn not to use it, and for good reason...

Soldato
Definitely not, any Bulldozer based chip is a pointless buy right now, unless you're picking up a whole system second hand for like £100 for everyday tasks.

Soldato
Rather than spending £120, I'd save more to get a R5 1600 (£140) + motherboard (£60) + 8GB DDR4 3000 (£80) combo.

If you really want to waste money on an old platform, always buy second hand. You'll be paying less than £120. Some are on buy it nows for below £100 on ebay and auctions likely go for less.

Even if buying the Ryzen combo above, try and shave money on buying some of those second hand. Likely knock £20 off each part.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info guys,thought it was a lot of CPU for the price.Doing a piecemeal rebuild,as budget allows and my Phenom 956 is starting to struggle i think.So for around the same price can anyone suggest a CPU? Mostly a gamer,running a AMD R9 290. Which will also be upgraded in time.

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys,thought it was a lot of CPU for the price.Doing a piecemeal rebuild,as budget allows and my Phenom 956 is starting to struggle i think.So for around the same price can anyone suggest a CPU? Mostly a gamer,running a AMD R9 290. Which will also be upgraded in time.

Don't get that old bulldozer fx9590 thing they are really bad and no they don't work on cheap motherboards.

You would do much better getting a new system, ryzen from AMD or coffee lake from intel ,this gen cpu's offer much more performance for the money and use much much less power.

A great cpu for gaming is the i5 8400 you can get the retail version with the cooler for £150 pair it with cheap board and cheap 16gb ddr4 and you have a new system for £300 that is a fast as the best gaming cpu's from last year and costing less than half the price.
review here https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/

Soldato
As above, wouldn't touch it with someone else's. Unless I already had a premium AM3+ motherboard and etceteras. Can't dump a 220W cpu into a cheap board and expect the VRMs to hold up.

There's a reason it's so cheap :)

Soldato
Wouldn't pay half that for one of those CPUs. Youd need a decent board and cooling to support it. Pretty sure a Ryzen 1200 would be better in games.

Soldato
I had a A6 - 9500 as a loan CPU from AMD to update a bios due to my mobo not supporting the 2200g out of the box.

I found the 2200G was better got gaming as minecraft was a bit laggy and stuttered till it loaded fully where I did not get this issue with the 2200G. I was using the igpu as well on both of these at the time so no didcated gpu

I would go for the 2200G if you require a onboard igpu or a 1200 if you get them cheap enough, I went for the 2200G as the price difference was only £5 - £10 at the time

Soldato
not worth the cost, but also dont listen to those keep saying 'ryzen 1600', i dont think people understand what it meant from OP's..

a 1600 is what £130-140 right now? on the price front its better value, but the motherboard to fit it to wont be a 'cheap' board unless its an A320 and then you got to factor in the ram, new or used its not cheap, so an older ddr3 system is going to be better value on that front.

i have seen this processor or it could be the 1200 as its not mentioned and this motherboard used and boxed on FB for £130 and using this site, this is how much it would cost new and if you include the cheapest 8gb kit, so knock off the extra to make the 130 used bundle adding on the new ram and your still looking over £200 unless used ram slower than 3000mhz is found for like £50.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £253.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
not worth the cost, but also dont listen to those keep saying 'ryzen 1600', i dont think people understand what it meant from OP's..

a 1600 is what £130-140 right now? on the price front its better value, but the motherboard to fit it to wont be a 'cheap' board unless its an A320 and then you got to factor in the ram, new or used its not cheap, so an older ddr3 system is going to be better value on that front.

i have seen this processor or it could be the 1200 as its not mentioned and this motherboard used and boxed on FB for £130 and using this site, this is how much it would cost new and if you include the cheapest 8gb kit, so knock off the extra to make the 130 used bundle adding on the new ram and your still looking over £200 unless used ram slower than 3000mhz is found for like £50.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £253.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

No idea what you are even getting at.

1600 isn't worth it because you will need to buy new motherboard and RAM etc resulting in £200+ cost. Even your 1200/1300X system used you are saying will be £200+.

But at the same time you say it isn't worth it for the OP to buy the 9590.

Terrible advice which achieves nothing.

Soldato

Unfortunately if you keep systems this long you can't do it piecemeal.

I'd go for a 2200G (£85) + A320 mobo (£60) + 8GB DDR4 (£80).

Like I said earlier if you can get parts used you will save money as well. Only yesterday I sold 8GB DDR4 2400 for £48 in the hidden trading part of the forum.

The good thing about the AM4 platform is that an A320 board supports all Ryzen chips released so far. I use a 2600X with an Asrock A320M Pro4 board for example.

Soldato

1600 isn't worth it because you will need to buy new motherboard and RAM etc resulting in £200+ cost. Even your 1200/1300X system used you are saying will be £200+.

Yep, buy cheap buy twice. Invest in a Ryzen build, even if it's a 2200G, and you'll be able to throw in a super cheap 8c16t CPU in a couple of years easy.

Or yeah just buy a DDR3 based system and have this exact same issue in a few years time. Definitely don't take advice from someone that creates 5 threads a week that all end with a question mark. :p

Soldato

What are you on about? I was saying to get a ryzen system would cost more than what that old system the OP mentioned would cost, the value is worth it to those willing to pay it.

It was the case of comparing.

I don’t care what the OP gets.

Back
Top Bottom