Goodbye paper manuals

Permabanned
Depends on the game entirely really, RPGs can have some useful info about attributes in the manuals but for most games they barely include anything in them anymore.

GTA manuals are always good though, the maps too.

Associate
No-one writes decent manuals now anyway. It's a shame because I used to enjoy reading the manual of my new purchase on the way home. Doesn't seem seem much point them bothering though if all they're going to do is tell me what the buttons do.

Caporegime
Even if other companies did follow suit, do you think Rockstar would stop making game maps/awesome manuals? I don't.

Doesn't bother me at all, most manuals these days are rubbish and I don't even bother reading them anyway.

Soldato
Really not bothered by this at all. I haven't read a manual in absolutely ages. They're nice to have but aside from that, they're a waste of resources.

Soldato
the defcon manual is brilliantly done. i always loved reading a manual with a bit of the developers personality chucked in. not a clinically boring instruction set. i will for one, miss the manual.

Soldato
Ubisoft finally clocked on that when we buy a game, we want to play it rather than sitting their for a good 5-10 minutes reading how Right trigger is too shoot, A is to Jump.. only for an in game tutorial to start to rub it in the noses of people who just read mentioned manual :D.

Good Riddance, put some nice artwork book in instead!

Shame your internet is down though.

(One for the PC forum perhaps. :))

Associate
I miss the days of cardboard boxed games and nice fat manuals to go with them. Would sit and read them on the bus and never look at them again but thats not the point. Fact is I liked the feel of having them but times move on I guess and you just got to go with it.

Soldato
I never read the manuals to learn the actual game but some of the good ones are awesome for backstory / humor.

I hate the modern manuals which are two sheets of paper if you're lucky, like MW2 one.

I think it's more sinister to be honest, strip away the manual, make the box more basic (they are doing that as well), make people not care about the physical game, then move everything to download only.

Caporegime
How exactly are they making the boxes more basic?

Who really cares if there is a shift towards digital downloads only? It's what everyone bloody says they want but when steps are put in place to do it people are up in arms. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Can anyone mind during install on old games, you had to look at certian pages and get the word from a certain line?

Best kind of copyright :p

Soldato
Only thing I'll miss if all manuals go is the fake adverts in the GTA games. I remember one funeral company was in there with the slogan:

We really dig graves!

Associate
In game tutorials are good enough to get to know how to play and really if a game similar to it has already been released the controls will be very similar.

Permabanned
I miss the days of cardboard boxed games and nice fat manuals to go with them. Would sit and read them on the bus and never look at them again but thats not the point. Fact is I liked the feel of having them but times move on I guess and you just got to go with it.

Yeah, the long bus ride home, looking at the screenshots, just waiting to get home and play the game, how times change.

Soldato
How exactly are they making the boxes more basic?

eco-inside.jpg

Imagine getting your game in that, with no manual. It would feel crap to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom