Goodbye paper manuals

Caporegime
eco-inside.jpg

Imagine getting your game in that, with no manual. It would feel crap to say the least.

Why? What percentage of people even read the manuals these days?

Soldato
No one, I don't either, but it just feels like you've paid for nothing, Orange box on PC was the worst, it was literally an empty case with a CD key printed behind the disk.

I guess unless you're the collector type it wouldn't bother you :p

Last edited:
Associate
leaves them more room in the box for advertising, they will probably feature a manual as a usp on collectors editions no doubt, but in honesty i dont care, ill take ingame tutorials over a manual any day

Soldato
I dont want games to come without manuals but I dont know if thats sentiment or practicality on my part.... The MW2 manual seemed a token effort at best with its 4 pages of basics... Many games these days do tend to explain things as you go along and have very good tutorials etc though its always nice to have all the info in one place to refer to and the maps too that some games give you in sandbox type games...

Permabanned
+1 and if the game came in the box like above i want at least £5

You are living in a dream world, publisher want to make more money from their game by adding VIP/LE stuff if you think you will see a reduction you are living in lalaland, game is never going to become cheaper, its cheap compared to the 90s

Add in unlockable content built into games and then you are like FFFUUU

Soldato
What on earth is that? I have never seen a PS3/360 game case look that.

I don't believe any games come like that at the moment.
Looks like some of the cheap dvds going around though :p

To be honest, I wouldn't mind much. Takes up much less space! However if I had some kind of stacking system in shelves then it would be worse

Associate
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard anyone who rents games say "Wah, no manual"!
It hasn't been a problem for the rental market for years, so why should it be a problem for retail? Oh yeah, people wont feel like they are getting value for money. TBH the packaging and manual are a tiny part of the retail price, but goes a long way to the perception of what you get for your money.
I'd be happy buying a game in a cardboard sleeve, and if I wanted box art or manual I'd download and print it. (obviously for a reduced retail price).
Only part I've ever looked at in a manual is the controller settings, but for the last 3 games I've bought I just looked at them in-game instead.

Permabanned
Not that bad, don't have any manuals for my 360 games anyway.

Do like the smell of brand new game/manual tho, maybe they can put like a dairylea lunchable in there while your waiting to install.

Paint skills

simtak.jpg

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
will the games be cheaper now they dont have to spend money on making manuals?

Ha, you wish. Every company that 'goes green' doesnt pass the saving on. I love it when an advert comes on and they champion the fact that their packaging is paper instead of glass saving 98% of the packing. Do we see any of the savings? No, but our reward is the fuzzy feeling that we have done our bit for the environment.

Back
Top Bottom