1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google busted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dirk Diggler, 14 Aug 2020.

1. LOAM

Capodecina

They build up a database of your connections and locations. As they already know you both live in the same house with the same surname, your relative distance on a single given day is irrelevant. If the wife's googled it the it's highly likely you'll be targeted with similar advertising to promote a purchase.

Alexa on the other hand, that thing is always listening and you can see some of what it's recorded on your Amazon account. I've honestly just given in with it all, it's not like I talk about anything important (nappies and paw patrol mainly) at home anyway.

2. Derek W

Capodecina

[Magnolia]

[/Magnolia]

Am i doing it right?:o

3. SDK^

Capodecina

Yesterday my son showed me a photo of the guide dog he is supporting/funding on his iPad.
    Today my partner and me both have guide dog adverts on our Facebook feed, on completely separate devices.

In the past i've had bike Insurance adverts popup on Facebook, which included photos of my bike embedded into the advert banner.

4. i-bert

Mobster

Well I'm in Spain at the moment and the only TV channel we can get in English is Dmax. The Mrs had gone out with friends so I watched a couple of episodes of Wheeler dealers. Now I have never watched this in England, ever, yet the same day a suggestion popped up on Facebook for Ed China, one of the presenters.

I've never searched for this guy or the program, so I found it very strange.

5. Mr^B

Mobster

What has device proximity got to do with it?

6. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Well, Facebook know your nationality and current location and provide suggestions based on algorithms which could exploit that by showing you searches performed by similar people (same nationality and current location).

7. wildman

Soldato

[​IMG]

8. i-bert

Mobster

Yeah, that sounds plausible.

9. bignev72

Wise Guy

People are taking the **** out of you but you're actually right.

My wife started to get lots of ads for Bepanthen the day after driving her friend back from getting a tattoo. She knew that he friend had mentioned getting some to help the tattoo heal but my wife had never searched for it online or anything like that.

Initially I thought her or her friend must have used her phone to look for it and forgotten but it turns out that she was right. They used Google maps to get back home and that records your voice in case you're giving voice commands to the mapping app. After some googling she even managed to get hold of the recordings where they were talking about the cream. So you're probably not crazy.

10. UTmaniac

Soldato

Adam rejects your reality and substitutes his own. ;)

11. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Not just... location was inside a Tattoo parlour? Has to be keyword voice scanning?

Has Google admitted to this process anywhere, or is it all speculation?

12. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Simple, I don't use 'em. Or if you're forced to (win 10) limit it as much as possible. And funnily enough I don't get any targeted ads whatsoever, come to that other than TV I don't see any at all.

13. dowie

Capo Crimine

Easy solution ref the above, just buy Apple products.

At least I’ve got an Apple Phone and Laptop. Tablet is a Kindle (great value for money and only need it for reading text books and watching Amazon Prime & Netflix) so don’t really care about data/adverts on there.

PC is just a Linux box and doesn’t have much on it.

14. inogen

Soldato

Why are you worried about being outed?

15. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Every time I go into the music thread where Raymond Lin is talking about his Positive amp I get adverts on Facebook.
    We've discussed this before on here where OCUK have code on their pages.

here you go, just went to the OCUK page and this came up immediately in Facebook

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Aug 2020
  16. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

17. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

@bignev72 thanks for sharing, it seems to have been a very similar experience to mine.

This is what I'm considering; owning an iPhone for the first time. I might also ditch the Android tablet for an iPad eventually.

Analysing conversations is a step too far for me, it's definitely crossed a line and I couldn't give two ***** about small print.

ETA: you've got to laugh... :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Aug 2020
  18. mrochester

Soldato

Just stop using products made by surveillance capitalists.

19. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Or start talking about big, pert titties and thank me later :)

20. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

So after our discussion in this thread about talking about something to see if it would appear in my Google feed, we decided to talk about something we hadn't discussed previously, or exchanged images, or searched for online etc.

We decided to talk about buying a new car. And 48hrs later, here it is, the smoking gun as far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]