Google busted

NVP

NVP

Soldato
How about something a bit less common...

Try talk about a really rare holiday destination or rare animal - I won't mention names here so as not to skew anything.

Soldato
OP
How about something a bit less common...

Try talk about a really rare holiday destination or rare animal - I won't mention names here so as not to skew anything.

I'll try to remember, but in the meantime I'll keep an eye on the iPhone 12 when it comes along. I CBA trawling through small print and endless security options; if Apple is viewed as generally better then I'll switch to them and try to wean myself off Google apps & products.

This hasn't got me hiding under the duvet or reaching for the tinfoil hat, it's just opened my eyes a little bit and influenced my future purchases to be thinking a bit more about privacy.

Soldato
I'll try to remember, but in the meantime I'll keep an eye on the iPhone 12 when it comes along. I CBA trawling through small print and endless security options; if Apple is viewed as generally better then I'll switch to them and try to wean myself off Google apps & products.

This hasn't got me hiding under the duvet or reaching for the tinfoil hat, it's just opened my eyes a little bit and influenced my future purchases to be thinking a bit more about privacy.
Apple aren’t surveillance capitalists so you won’t have this problem with them.

Man of Honour
So after our discussion in this thread about talking about something to see if it would appear in my Google feed, we decided to talk about something we hadn't discussed previously, or exchanged images, or searched for online etc.

We decided to talk about buying a new car. And 48hrs later, here it is, the smoking gun as far as I'm concerned.

ZX1vrjd.jpg

Do either of you have the Netflix app on a device nearby? they claim it doesn't but when I had installed it in a hurry and given it all permissions (including microphone) I started getting ads suspiciously connected to precise keywords myself or someone nearby said and it stopped happening when I revoked permissions. I refuse to believe it was coincidence as it was so specific i.e. I mentioned Sudafed in a conversation with a colleague at work and 30 minutes later or so was getting Sudafed ads (did not at any point search for or browse for Sudafed products, etc.). Same with several other brand keywords.

Permabanned
Apple aren’t surveillance capitalists so you won’t have this problem with them.

You will be surprised about that, they mostly hide behind their secure agreements and because of the hi secure they enforce as a method to relax the user.
Apple probably has a contract with some kind of gov department that we don't know about tracking our every move now. Specially that covid tracking on the background that is really tracking you even when off.

Last edited:
Soldato
You will be surprised about that, they mostly hide behind their secure agreements and because of the hi secure they enforce as a method to relax the user.
Apple probably has a contract with done kind of gov department that we don't know about tracking our every move now. Specially that covid tracking on the background that is really tracking you even when off.
That sounds rather conspiracy theory.

Apple just doesn’t have the business model that requires them to track, analyse, aggregate, predict and sell your behaviour to an advertiser. They sell products for money with a margin.

Permabanned
That sounds rather conspiracy theory.

Apple just doesn’t have the business model that requires them to track, analyse, aggregate, predict and sell your behaviour to an advertiser. They sell products for money with a margin.

Did people say that about updates breaking phones or slowing phoned down considerable.

Soldato
isn't this what a good AI personal assistant should be doing?

Let's take this into the real world. You are sat in a business meeting for 30 minutes talking about cars. The meeting ends and you turn to your PA and say, so what car was best then. They reply, sorry I wasn't listening. You wouldn't be very happy.

I quite like my google feed being relevant.

Back
Top Bottom