Google Home

Permabanned
OP
After a month of using my Nest Hello doorbell, I am pleased with my purchase. Installation was quick and easy. I had a wired doorbell and chime so buying Nest Hello was a logical move. No battery.

First thing I noticed was how quickly the video is posted to my Pixel 2 XL. Also it is easy to talk to the person at the door through the talk feature for two way conversation. I have not used the pre recorded replies because I am able to respond directly.

The 4:3 aspect ratio shows more of the subject at the door (head to toe) than alternatives. And there is lots of detail of the background such as activity on Street before person arrives at doorbell.

I also like the hard wired doorbell feature because it is really like a security camera setup. We have had instances of packages being stolen from doorsteps and the ability to scroll back video for 24 hours is very useful. And a live feed is always available to view, 24/7 so if you hear noise at night, the Nest Hello will activate and show the live feed.

Maybe one of the nicest features is the facial recognition software that Nest pulled from the indoor and outdoor cameras they sell. By capturing the face of the person at the bell it can tell you through Google Home who is at the doorbell. This also works via Chromecast and your TV to have it turn on to show you who is there. I have not set this up as it requires a subscription called Nest Aware.

But very happy and would recommend.

Soldato
After a month of using my Nest Hello doorbell, I am pleased with my purchase. Installation was quick and easy. I had a wired doorbell and chime so buying Nest Hello was a logical move. No battery.
All Ring devices can be hard wired to doorbell wiring though so I don't see why it's a logical conclusion. I have a Ring Pro on my front door which doesn't have a battery, and my old Ring doorbell is wired into my side door where there is also doorbell wiring so never needs charging. The battery if anything is an extra bonus in case you lose power from the doorbell transformer, so I don't quite get your point, apart from the obvious conclusion that you're paid to say these kind of things and for some reason (I'm guessing financial) are allowed to continually post to purely promote Google products, ruining threads and not contributing anywhere else in the forums.

Permabanned
OP
All Ring devices can be hard wired to doorbell wiring though so I don't see why it's a logical conclusion. I have a Ring Pro on my front door which doesn't have a battery, and my old Ring doorbell is wired into my side door where there is also doorbell wiring so never needs charging. The battery if anything is an extra bonus in case you lose power from the doorbell transformer, so I don't quite get your point, apart from the obvious conclusion that you're paid to say these kind of things and for some reason (I'm guessing financial) are allowed to continually post to purely promote Google products, ruining threads and not contributing anywhere else in the forums.

The hard wiring of the Nest Hello together with the quality of the video camera provide me security camera like quality. I did not say that Amazon's product is inferior which you suggest. I was merely writing a review of my experience to date with the use of Nest Hello.

You keep making baseless accusations which are completely false. Again I repeat, I have no financial or other involvement with Google. I do enjoy using their products and my review of Nest Hello should be seen purely as a contribution to the discussion. It is a fact based review based on my experience. If it assists others, great.

Associate
You keep making baseless accusations which are completely false. Again I repeat, I have no financial or other involvement with Google. I do enjoy using their products and my review of Nest Hello should be seen purely as a contribution to the discussion. It is a fact based review based on my experience. If it assists others, great.

So did you ever answer my question in one of the other Google threads about why a PR campaign ID tag had been left on one of the independent/unbiased links you'd posted?

EDIT: include key word missed from first post

Last edited:
Associate
One of your "unbiased, I'm a fan" posts had the PR campaign ID in the URL for the site you referenced... almost like those Instagram posts where the hapless celebrity blindly pastes in the text of everything a PR company's said to put in a new post.

Still puzzled as to how you don't think or get that dropping into, for example, the Apple Homepod thread with Google PR for the Max speaker doesn't come across as biased!

I still love my home devices though, so let's get back on topic eh? ;)

Permabanned
OP
I still love my home devices though, so let's get back on topic eh? ;)

I like "on topic."

According to Seeking Alpha today, "Google debuts Echo Show competitor"

Google is introducing it smart display units through Lenovo, JBL and LG.

Lenovo's smart display with Google Assistant is an 8 inch version costing $ 200 (£ 150) and a 10 inch version costing $ 250 with 3 months of You Tube Premium for free.

Competitively priced because the Amazon Echo Show costs $ 230 but does not include You Tube.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3374340-google-debuts-echo-show-competitor

Permabanned
OP
3 months free, to those who don't have it. so it punishes current customers. thanks google once again for taking care of us

Seems to me a good way to highlight that if you buy one, from one of the three Google Assistant supported manufacturers, you get YouTube which you do not get in the Echo Show.

Here is a review from The Verge, highlighted advantages and disadvantages.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/26/...-review-google-assistant-smart-speaker-screen

Associate
I honestly don't understand why sesevans has not been banned from the forums yet. It's ridiculous.

Nobody writes on forums the way he does. I love Google products but everytime I see him paste his PR rubbish it makes me cringe.

Soldato
Anyone managed to get continued conversations working? I turned it on, rebooted the Home but it just stops listening after the first command. Much like my girlfriend.

Soldato
Nope - mine just says 'No devices available'. Typical google beta product, then again I've had my home set as US locale for a good few months as it seems to be a great deal better at picking up voices, which mine has always been pathetic at. It also ALWAYS ignored the missus but has been a lot better since the changeover.

Back
Top Bottom