**** Google I/O 2017 - 17th-19th May 2017 ****

Soldato
Can't see any other threads for 2017. I'm looking forward to DP2 beta for O!

Google's I/O webpage has yet to be updated with a countdown clock or a full schedule. However, based on last year's main topics covered at the conference, as well as the company's patterns and various industry rumours, here's what we expect to see at Google I/O 2017:

Android O

Google usually uses Google I/O to tease improvements to Android. Last year, it talked about the split-screen mode, ability to reply to texts from notifications, and an update to the Doze batter saver. It also teased Android N. Google will more than likely mention the next version of Android at this year's show, so expect to hear something about Android O/8.0. Any guesses as to what the final, dessert-themed name will be?

Android Wear

Google unveiled Android Wear 2.0 last year, and it hasn't even released yet. We're now expecting it to launch in early February, followed by a few new Android Wear devices, including two LG-made watches from Google. We think Google might take time to discuss the roll out of Android Wear 2.0 at this year's show, or it might even announce new features. Either way, it'll at least mention its OS for wearables.

Daydream VR

At Google I/O 2016, Google showed us it was interested in going beyond Google Cardboard by introducing a new mobile, approachable to virtual reality in the form of Google Daydream. Since then, we've seen Google introduce a Daydream VR headset, Pixel phones with Daydream support, and other manufacturers add support for Daydream. We're hoping to see more hardware and software announcements.

Oh, keep in mind Google is rumoured to be developing a high-end VR headset along the lines of HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. Unlike the Daydream View, it would be an all-in-one experience that doesn't require a phone. Also, on 26 January, HTC's design lead announced that he joined the Google Daydream platform. Claude Zellweger, according to his Twitter, is the maker of the HTC Vive VR headset and HTC 10.

We suspect more leaks in the coming months if Zellweger is indeed working on the secretive project.

Chrome OS

Chrome OS now works with full Android apps. And, recently, a few new Chromebooks have been announced. Other than that, the Chrome OS space has been pretty quiet. Google has of course denied the rumours of a full OS merger between Chrome and Android, but maybe Google will use Google I/O 2017 to announce new features coming to the operating system or new Chromebooks and Chrome OS devices in the pipeline.

Android Auto

Android Auto is Google's attempt at getting Android into vehicles. We will likely see more manufacturers announce new car models compatible with Google's system, but it would be nice to see Google executives discuss new innovations for the platform as well. In 2015, Waze (which is part of Alphabet) executives suggested the intelligent navigation system could be added to Android Auto. Maybe we'll hear more on that? Pretty please?

Google Assistant

Last year, Sundar Pichai, Google's CEO, talked a lot about machine-learning advances and artificial intelligence, as well as how they benefit its new Google Assistant. The service is an extension of Google Now. With it, you can ask conversational questions using the "OK Google" command. In the past 12 months, it has been added to the Google Home speaker, Allo chat app, and Pixel flagships. We're betting it'll be updated.

Google Home

Speaking of Google Home, Google unveiled the voice-activated speaker at Google I/O 2016, but it's only been available for a few months now, letting you manage everyday tasks, ask questions, control select connected devices, and more. We're not expecting Google Home 2.0 to debut at this year's show, but maybe Google will announce new features and integrations. It might even copy Amazon and do a Dot-like version.

Google Allo

Google unveiled its Allo messenger app at Google I/O 2016, though it hasn't done much with it since. The app is able to create smart replies you can use, and it can decipher information from photos to help provide a relevant response, and it even includes a limited version of Google Assistant. It'd be interesting to see the app offer a full-fledged version of Assistant, or at least add more cool tricks.

Google Duo

Google also unveiled about Duo at I/O 2016. It's a one-to-one video calling app that works on both Android and iOS. Like Allo, it hasn't made a big impact since launch. Google might use this year's conference to discuss the latest on the app, and perhaps address its confusing approach to messaging/calling. So far, it offers Duo, Allo, Hangouts, and Google Voice. Google could try to combine Duo with Hangouts.

Project Tango

Augmented reality was hot last summer, and it's expected to continue being popular. Keep in mind Google has long been working on Project Tango tech, which uses motion-tracking and depth sensing to build a 3D world onto physical surroundings, and at CES 2017, many manufacturers made announcements about AR devices, apps, and accessories. We therefore expect to hear more about Project Tango.

Project Fi
Google's cross-carrier network, Project Fi, which automatically switches carriers in order to provide more reliable access to mobile data, is now available for Pixel, Nexus ,and a few other devices. At Google I/O 2017, Google may announce more compatible devices.

Is that it?

Yep. Google's self-driving car project as been spun into a standalone business known as Waymo. At Google I/O 2017, we could learn some more details about what’s next, but we wouldn't count on it. Also, Google has reportedly suspended all plans to launch a Project Ara modular smartphone. The interchangeable phone concept has been shelved to streamline the company's hardware strategy, it is claimed.

Soldato
Looking forward to Google announcing another two messaging apps today.

On a serious note, interested to see if anything more has been added to O since DP1. I doubt we'll hear anything about the new iPhone.

[edit:- So far probably the worst I/O I have watched.]

Now the good stuff starts, Really don't see the point in that Notification App Icon, Especially when the notification is already in the draw.

Android Go for devices with less than 1GB ram, What phones/tablets have less than 1GB ram nowadays & why haven't they done all this for Android as a whole instead of fragmenting yet again?

Last edited:
only just about to watch the keynotes speech now and i have to say this is the least excited i've been to watch one, and the fact i'm only viewing it now shows just that as i usually am interested to get it as live as possible.

mobile phones has become so great they are now boring. no new innovation. feels like it's all just tweaking. role on virtual reality, home automation and body tech. let me pay with an NFC chip implanted in my hand and open my front door too ffs!

Soldato
only just about to watch the keynotes speech now and i have to say this is the least excited i've been to watch one, and the fact i'm only viewing it now shows just that as i usually am interested to get it as live as possible.

mobile phones has become so great they are now boring. no new innovation. feels like it's all just tweaking. role on virtual reality, home automation and body tech. let me pay with an NFC chip implanted in my hand and open my front door too ffs!

A good 20minutes or so of the keynote is some YouTube rubbish showing the chat & that you can now send money like twitch style.

Worst I/O for a long time. The machine learning is awesome & VR is decent. But I'm not interested in VR for me AR is where its at.

I just flashed the O beta, Didn't last 5 minute before I went back to 7.1.2. I have no idea what Google are doing but their insistence of using white everywhere is starting to grate, Especially when near enough all the latest devices Google have put out are using AMOLED. The new notification draw is just horrid & a cluster mess, I much prefer the old one. Of course some people might enjoy the blinding white.

Soldato
Google needs to sort itself out, left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing

Android messenger, hangouts and allo.....just concentrate on one kick ass messenging app
Gmail, Inbox......have we picked a winner yet?

Still, at least the calendar icon finally shows the right date lol

Permabanned
Are we caught up in the details? Keynote to me was all about AI and deep learning with Android OS playing a lesser role than before because Google sees that battle largely won!

Worth looking first at the big picture here. Google is really everywhere now. Seven Google products have a reach of more than 1 billion users including Maps, Search and YouTube. Android OS is on more than 2 billion devices. And Google wants its users (ie, nearly everyone) to interact with Google services more seamlessly than ever before: so new features like Google Lens, Google for Jobs, Voice not typing, Visual Position Service, helps. How? With more AI so that its users have more of a Star Trek "wow" moment from time to time but it just works most of the time.

So there is something for everyone here. With Google Assistant now on more than 100 million devices (ie phones and Google Home) and with Google having the ability to introduce features immediately rather than having to wait for OEMs and operators to update them (Android), Google wants to push voice interaction. With their emphasis on deep learning and AI, Google Assistant and Google Home are the perfect vehicles for them to grow. And the TPU advances in taking on Nvidia seem impressive: should help Google Cloud.

The competition in virtual assistants is now joined between Google and Amazon and soon Microsoft and Apple, it should be fun seeing what develops. But few have Google's home court advantage: an OS with 2 billion users and 7 products with more than 1 billion users.

Caporegime
Yeah, that did look good. I also liked the ability to remove unwanted objects from photos, very impressive although I remember a similar feature being demoed by Nokia years ago.

I didn't like the fact Google Assistant is coming to the iPhone. What happened to supporting Google devices first? I'm on a 6P and still haven't received it FFS.

Permabanned

I didn't like the fact Google Assistant is coming to the iPhone. What happened to supporting Google devices first? I'm on a 6P and still haven't received it FFS.

They announced GA on the Nexus 6p coming to the UK back in March. It has been available through Allo and you of course can get that now.

It was available on my Pixel XL since my purchase in October 2016. It was inevitable that Google would introduce GA to the iPhone quickly and not limit it to recent Android devices because they want GA to be everywhere.

Remember that Android, while on 2 billion phones globally (the first OS to be on 2 billion devices), has a fragmentation problem and that there are many OEMs and operators that are slow to update Android. Many operate on razor thin margins and many introduce "skins" to distinguish their Android devices. Hence even though Nougat has been available for nearly 9 months, it is still on only 7% of all Android devices.

But in a short period of time since launch, GA is now on more than 100 million devices and Google can update GA without any interference from operators or OEMs----a really BIG deal for Google.

Soldato
Yeah, I didn't realise it was on my 6P until I did the long-press on the home button for Google Now. Google Assistant isn't an app as such, so it won't appear as such which isn't what I was expecting - it's part of the Google framework (I think it's the Google App itself?).

Soldato
Yeah, I didn't realise it was on my 6P until I did the long-press on the home button for Google Now. Google Assistant isn't an app as such, so it won't appear as such which isn't what I was expecting - it's part of the Google framework (I think it's the Google App itself?).

It is part of the Google app as far as I am aware.

Does the 5x get the Pixel launcher or at least a new launcher in the O developer preview just released?

The below video seems to suggest there is indeed a new launcher.

No new launcher for Nexus devices, That video he probably sideloaded it :)

Back
Top Bottom