Google Pixel 5

Soldato
I'm surprised there's no thread for Pixel 5, they are normally released around October which isn't very far off.

I skipped the Pixel 4 and opted for a OnePlus 7T last year (with no regrets). I'm now weighing up either Pixel 5 XL, OnePlus 8 Pro or skipping an upgrade this year.

Has the Pixel interest waned?

Edit:

The next Google hardware launch event will happen on September 30, 2020.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/google-hardware-2020-1158405/amp/

Reviews

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...review-google-back-to-basics-light-low-specs?

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the latest rumours that it's already pushed into next year?

We're yet to see Pixel 4a which is overdue from May.

Soldato
Current Pixels have left me disappointed in terms of specs and design and quality of hardware. The special camera is the centre piece but not enough anymore. The package as a whole is lacking when you factor in the price.

I went Pixel 3 to OnePlus 8 Pro it's been a delight. For 800 quid, there no competition IMHO.

Soldato
I’ve been a fan since the original but this year I might be moving back to iOS due the huge amount of changes in the operating system plus the fact that Dark Sky is leaving Android. Yep - I rely on the app that much.

Associate
Current Pixels have left me disappointed in terms of specs and design and quality of hardware. The special camera is the centre piece but not enough anymore. The package as a whole is lacking when you factor in the price.

I went Pixel 3 to OnePlus 8 Pro it's been a delight. For 800 quid, there no competition IMHO.

I was thinking the exact same thing at the same moment I was reading your post, and then you went and suggested the phone I was thinking of. I think I would go for the OP8Pro now if I was upgrading from my 2XL, which I'm still having trouble justifying as it still does the job!

I wasn't aware that the launch was being pushed back, but with iOS improving again this year, I might give some serious thought to switching this year. I've read rumours that they may even be cheaper this year too.

Soldato
Rumours all over the net that the Pixel 5 will ditch the soli radar - Very sad to see that. I'm contracted in to my 3XL for a while yet and really would make use of the soli stuff.

My partner has an iPhone 11 Pro and it looks fantastic. Really tempted me to switch but I can't for the life of me leave Google Assistant behind, I rely on it way too much.

I know the app is on iOS but it'll never be as integrated as on Android.

Still waiting for all the phone call stuff to hit this side in the pond too. But I doubt Call Screen will ever make it or (the name escapes me) the one that calls and makes reservations for you.

Soldato
Thats part of the problem... google just seem to be clueless these days. release all these great new features only for them to be either unavailable in your location, totally unsupported (hello face id!) or killed off a few years later anyway just as you were getting used to them (google play music! :( )

Soldato
The pixel line never really hit the mark imho. There was always something wrong with it. Daft bezels, recessed screen, huge notch, poor battery.....then they did their take on faceid which ended up being one hell of a flop as very few apps made use of it.

You could argue their rom, fast updates and camera was worth the price tag alone, but considering you could get a oneplus which is loads cheaper , it's a hard sell.

Regarding the iphone switch, do not underestimate the intelligence you get from android, which leaves the iphones for dust. If you aren't into tablets, watches, laptop integration etc etc The AI and smart home stuff is brilliant. Google knows you, and it's a master of delivering your data to you cleanly and efficiently.

I also heard google was thinking of doing away with the 800 series chips alltogether and positioning themselves in the middle ground. To be fair, I think this is a market they should be in. The cheaper pixels were a sales success I believe.

Have to say I do actually like the look of the leaked pixel 5

Last edited:
Soldato
The AI and smart home stuff is brilliant. Google knows you, and it's a master of delivering your data to you cleanly and efficiently.

I can't comment on the smart home stuff as we have Alexa in our household... But does Google really know me? All the news stuff I get, doesn't relate to anything I'm interested in

Soldato
I can't comment on the smart home stuff as we have Alexa in our household... But does Google really know me? All the news stuff I get, doesn't relate to anything I'm interested in

Do you browse with chrome signed in, and use Gmail and calendar?

It's the thing I most like about Android

Soldato
Do you browse with chrome signed in, and use Gmail and calendar?

It's the thing I most like about Android

Yes to all of them. But I don't see how it's assisted me in anyway, unless I'm missing something. Don't get me wrong, huge Google fan but I can't see how it's helping me.

Side note, just used my partner's iPhone to type in an email and the period key is on a separate keyboard page?! What is this madness.

Soldato
Yes to all of them. But I don't see how it's assisted me in anyway, unless I'm missing something. Don't get me wrong, huge Google fan but I can't see how it's helping me.

Side note, just used my partner's iPhone to type in an email and the period key is on a separate keyboard page?! What is this madness.

I'm not sure what's going on then :p I was talking to my son about a football team neither of us support, I checked online to see the result, next thing I know, everytime they play I get a notification with all the stats leading up to the game :D

Soldato
I'm not sure what's going on then :p I was talking to my son about a football team neither of us support, I checked online to see the result, next thing I know, everytime they play I get a notification with all the stats leading up to the game :D

This is my exact thing. I love Google, but if it heard you once, sees you look up something once, that's all it serves you.

I don't watch football but my friend posted something in a group chat so I clicked the link - now it's all I get in my Google feed. Really annoying.

Soldato
OP
This is my exact thing. I love Google, but if it heard you once, sees you look up something once, that's all it serves you.

I don't watch football but my friend posted something in a group chat so I clicked the link - now it's all I get in my Google feed. Really annoying.

That's why you get the option to correct the error by selecting "not interested in..."

Back
Top Bottom