Google Pixel 5

Soldato
i have a oneplus 7t and would like to go back to the pixel experience but the pixel 5 is coming with a slower processor than a 1 year old phone. Google must want to keep massive margins

I was quite excited for the Pixel 5 but, like you, I'm thinking about that rumoured 765G processor. If the Pixel 5 comes in at £600 it's going to be pretty much the most expensive phone carrying that SoC, excluding foldables/blinged up gimmick phones etc.

Other manufacturers are putting the SD 865 in £600 phones, so maybe Google should accept lower margins are necessary to increase market share.

Associate
I'm still hoping the 5 comes in below £600. Not that bothered that the 765 SoC isn't the very fastest available, Im sure its fast enough to last out the phone and keep things smooth. I would prefer better battery life vs higher res and refresh rate. I do not game on my phone so priorities are maybe different from others. I'm still waiting for Google to gimp the P5 in some way but so far the leaks have it looking like a pretty solid device for what I'm after.

Associate
https://9to5google.com/2020/09/22/pixel-5-render-leak/

Some leaked specs here.

Disappointingly, the ultra wide is only 107 deg FOV, which falls well short of most rivals that offer 120+ deg.

Additionally, the front camera has further reduced its FOV down to 83 deg (down from 90 and 97 on the 4XL/3XL respecitvely).

The telephoto lens has been omitted which we already knew.

Guess it’s another year where I’ll skip on the Pixel range. Every year, there is an annoying compromise. OK the price is less than usual this year, but its still over 600 quid for a phone which for all intents and purposes offer little real world improvements and a virtually identical UX over a phone I bought in 2017.

Had they given us a decent telephoto, a competitive ultrawide and kept the wide angle front camera, I’d have been all over this, but as usual with Google, it’s compromises all the way.

Still, its a decent buy for someone who desperately needs a new phone, but not really for someone who just wants a new toy.

Soldato
Any idea what the real world differences are between the 765G and the Pixel 2 processor (835 I think it was)?
I'm in no rush to get a new phone so may wait until they become cheaper or possible skip and wait for the 6.

Associate
Any idea what the real world differences are between the 765G and the Pixel 2 processor (835 I think it was)?
I'm in no rush to get a new phone so may wait until they become cheaper or possible skip and wait for the 6.

I stand to be corrected, but as I understand it from casual reading, the 765G is apparently around the level of an 845 (found in the Pixel 3), however, the GPU is apparently slightly slower than the 835. In the real world, I think the most noticeable difference won’t be the actual processing power, but the 90Hz screen will make it feel quicker, albeit this is ultimately an illusion.

Ultimately, for me, I see little reason to spend £600+ on this. Had the cameras had a decent bump, then I’d have been all over it, but as it stands now, it offers some decent QOL upgrades but not worth spending that much dosh. If my 2XL expires of its own accord, then I might consider it, otherwise, I’m gonna pass. Even the improved battery life offers no real draw now as I rarely leave the house!

Soldato
I stand to be corrected, but as I understand it from casual reading, the 765G is apparently around the level of an 845 (found in the Pixel 3), however, the GPU is apparently slightly slower than the 835. In the real world, I think the most noticeable difference won’t be the actual processing power, but the 90Hz screen will make it feel quicker, albeit this is ultimately an illusion.

Ultimately, for me, I see little reason to spend £600+ on this. Had the cameras had a decent bump, then I’d have been all over it, but as it stands now, it offers some decent QOL upgrades but not worth spending that much dosh. If my 2XL expires of its own accord, then I might consider it, otherwise, I’m gonna pass. Even the improved battery life offers no real draw now as I rarely leave the house!

Yeah, I think I'll be holding off for a while or at least until some price drops. I don't see the point in spending £600 for a phone.
Don't get me wrong, I like what it is coming with and would buy it but not seeing the £600 worth on it.

Soldato

I'm in the same situation and tend to agree. Certainly doesn't look like it is necessary to get a new phone right now anyway.

Associate
I think I said before but my pixel 2 is just starting to show its age, it runs fine, but things like quiet speakers (I have cleaned the grills), wifi not properly supporting roaming, battery life, no further software update etc are just starting to make me feel I'd like something new. I was in the same boat last year but the 4 seemed like a bit of a fail to me so I skipped it. The 5 is looking like a reasonable upgrade from the 2. Google will always disappoint somewhere, the phone will be gimped in one area that puts a lot of people off, but the leaked specs look good for what I want.

Soldato
The thing with the Pixel 5 is that if Google had bit the bullet and stuck in an SD 865 (they can afford reduced margins), all the release headlines would be about the 'perfect Android phone' and 'Google's first real rival to the iPhone'. Instead, they cut costs and the reviews are going to be 'great phone...but'.

Associate
I wonder what the difference in the prices of the socs are, ie how much they contribute to the overall price, I have no idea. If its like say $40 vs $60 I think you're right, but it could be way more and I doubt the overall experience of the phone would be that much different ?

Soldato
I think it's more like $40 vs $120 (from a quick Google). Other manufacturers have the 865 SoC at sub-£600 price though.

These other manufacturers don't come with 3 years of OS updates which makes up the difference in cost of the SoC. Software development is a hidden cost.

Soldato
These other manufacturers don't come with 3 years of OS updates which makes up the difference in cost of the SoC. Software development is a hidden cost.

I know, I just think it would be nice if Google decided to be the standard bearer for devices carrying their operating system and threw everything into making it happen. iPhones and iOS go hand in hand and whatever you think of Apple's ecosystem, they have certain standards that Google makes little concerted effort to replicate.

Imagine if the release of the Pixel model (which I actually think is too geeky a name) became the yearly Android equivalent of Apple releasing their iPhones. Shoving in a midrange SoC isn't going to do that.

Caporegime
They tried doing that with the 4 previous Pixel phones and all have been sales flops. Even if they copied every spec from the best iPhone, bar the SoC, and undercut Apple by 50% it would still flop because the Google name doesn't sell phones like Apple does.

Associate
I’m not actually bothered too much about the SD 765G, for me, its the lack of a decent camera upgrade. Compared with my 2XL, yes, it has an ‘ultra’ wide lens, but it’s not as wide as it should be. It still doesn’t have a telephoto, which is something I wanted in 2017 never mind now. The selfie cam lack the wide angle of the P3/XL and even compared with the P4/XL, it’s just nothing special. It still has the same sensor as used in 2018, which is barely different from the one used in 2016/17.

For me, the camera upgrades were the main thing I was waiting for, and it looks like they’re underwhelming, again.

As for the rest of the phone, it looks good - it’s a nice size, good battery, plenty of RAM, wireless charging, decent amount of relatively quick storage. It’s frustrating, so close but yet so far.

Back
Top Bottom