Google Pixel 5

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm still on my 3XL. The size is a downgrade to me, my screens been smashed for over a year now but really can't see the benefit in commiting to a new handset that doesn't really offer much of an upgrade. I hoped they would release an XL version. Hopefully my 3XL lasts until the next handset and it's more worthy of changing.

Associate
Personally, and each to their own, but I thought the 5 was a very underwhelming upgrade over my 2XL. Certainly better on paper but in the real world the devices were so similar as to be barely noticeable as an upgrade. In fact the most welcome change for me was wireless charging. The screen itself was a bit of a downgrade at least as far as size concerned, and I was led to believe the difference in quality was like a yawning chasm, but in fact I thought in most respects the 2XL screen was just as pleasing to the eye despite the negativity, with the 90hz making a small difference and the brightness was better. The battery life is good however but in these lockdown times, not really a massive deal.

For me it was not really a satisfying upgrade from my 2xl so from a 3XL or 4XL definitely not worth the bother. In fact that was part of the reason I ended up going for the s21 ultra, which does at least feel like a substantial upgrade.

Soldato
Personally, and each to their own, but I thought the 5 was a very underwhelming upgrade over my 2XL. Certainly better on paper but in the real world the devices were so similar as to be barely noticeable as an upgrade. In fact the most welcome change for me was wireless charging. The screen itself was a bit of a downgrade at least as far as size concerned, and I was led to believe the difference in quality was like a yawning chasm, but in fact I thought in most respects the 2XL screen was just as pleasing to the eye despite the negativity, with the 90hz making a small difference and the brightness was better. The battery life is good however but in these lockdown times, not really a massive deal.

For me it was not really a satisfying upgrade from my 2xl so from a 3XL or 4XL definitely not worth the bother. In fact that was part of the reason I ended up going for the s21 ultra, which does at least feel like a substantial upgrade.

You do know the 5 and the 2xl both had 6" screens right ?

Associate
You do know the 5 and the 2xl both had 6" screens right ?

I do indeed... in fact I spent a little more time arguing with strangers on the Internet about that fact...

However, the screen does *look* smaller on the 5, and mainly because it's narrower. All the UI elements look smaller and they are. It is basically the non XL model that's been stretched to look taller.

In the end, it wasn't for me although that bit wasn't the deal breaker, it was a combination of things. Ultimately I didn't see it as a worthwhile use of 500 quid coming from the 2XL. Just my opinion.

fair enough. if you were coming from a fairly new 2xl, perhaps £500 on a p5 wouldn't feel worth spending. I imagine most here would be coming from having had a 2xl since release date, so 3 year old phones that just needed renewing, and £500 is a good worthy spend as it's an upgrade, that's still very familiar, and really one of the lowest cost phones you could ask for given what you get.

Soldato
How you guys getting along with the Pixel 5? I currently have the 4, worth the upgrade?
Love my Pixel 5 - almost ticks all the boxes that I want out of a phone - best camera on a smart phone, good battery, waterproof, great software with no unnecessary rubbish you cant get rid of, doesnt weigh a tonne... just a rubbish speaker for when using it as an actual phone!!!
That being said I'll almost definitely be looking at the P6 when it comes out

Associate
fair enough. if you were coming from a fairly new 2xl, perhaps £500 on a p5 wouldn't feel worth spending. I imagine most here would be coming from having had a 2xl since release date, so 3 year old phones that just needed renewing, and £500 is a good worthy spend as it's an upgrade, that's still very familiar, and really one of the lowest cost phones you could ask for given what you get.

Granted. I never said it was a bad deal, just for me, not worth spending £500 on. I was just underwhelmed by it, plus I had some issues with it that I never had on my Pixel 5. Ultimately, I am probably the issue, not the phone. I guess I just wanted something that really felt like a good upgrade otherwise I would have just saved my cash (but instead, ended up spending over double :D).

Associate
Some quick comments about the 5 after using it exclusively at home for the past few days. My previous phones have been very much in the mid-range, Nokia 6.1 (630) / Nokia 7.1 (636)

• Firstly, size. Its actually smaller compared to the 5.5" 6.1
  • Build, this is good rather than excellent, the solid aluminum of the 6.1 is still my reference point
  • Performance, no issues with my modest requirements of messaging apps only
  • The display could by a bit darker for comfortable viewing in total darkness, otherwise lovely
Overall, this is one of the few Android phones that is more than the sum of its parts, something Apple do so well with the iPhone. Although its price will always been contentious at £599

Wish list for the 6

• Keep size, improve dull appearance with some highlights or colour
  • Make the buttons stainless steel
  • Use latest sensors for cameras and fix optics on the wide camera
I'm happy with my open box purchase at £500, plus selling previous phones.

Associate
I was going to get the pixel 5 but decided to stick with the 4xl. It just seemed like a weird sidegrade to me, plus i like bigger phones. Hopefully the 6 is a big improvement.

Associate
Just got my Pixel 5 today, 'upgrading' from a 3XL, that was only replaced as the USB C stopped working bar charging.
A little underwhelming tbh, nothing to really shout about really. The screen does feel a lot smaller, but the 5 using all real estate up to the narrow bezels is nice.
Seems identical in terms of features bar a wide lens camera.
Defo not worth £599, I bought outright with Voxi at £510 all in with their £12 deal, given the media addon means the 12gb will remain mostly unused.

Soldato
What’s the motivation for moving to the Pixel 5?

No motivation I was just curious. I’ve been looking at android phones as of late and I’ve had pixels in the past. Though having read reviews and watched videos it sort of has put me off due to how it compares to the 4A 5G.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
No motivation I was just curious. I’ve been looking at android phones as of late and I’ve had pixels in the past. Though having read reviews and watched videos it sort of has put me off due to how it compares to the 4A 5G.

I have a iPhone 12, and literally just ordered a 4a 5G. I did look at the 5, my wife has one, but the 5 didn’t make sense for a number of reasons. I don’t need 90hz and I’m not bothered about wireless charging.

Like you I’ve had a few pixels previously. I’ve really missed certain features that the Pixel brings and I’m pretty much exclusively using Google apps on my iPhone. I won’t sell my iPhone 12 until I’m sure the 4a 5G is a good fit, but as time goes on I’m finding Apple devices less of a fit for me.

Soldato
I have a iPhone 12, and literally just ordered a 4a 5G. I did look at the 5, my wife has one, but the 5 didn’t make sense for a number of reasons. I don’t need 90hz and I’m not bothered about wireless charging.

Like you I’ve had a few pixels previously. I’ve really missed certain features that the Pixel brings and I’m pretty much exclusively using Google apps on my iPhone. I won’t sell my iPhone 12 until I’m sure the 4a 5G is a good fit, but as time goes on I’m finding Apple devices less of a fit for me.

I’m in a similar position where I’m finding Apple devices not being that much of thing for me anymore. I appreciate the quality, resale, software support but for my needs I think it’s overkill.

My only gripe with the pixel line is that the QC is hit and miss. I’ve also been looking at the Sony Xperia line but I am unsure as of yet. I mainly use my phone for emails, social media and photography/some video. I feel a mid range phone can provide me with the same experience for a lesser price point.

Back
Top Bottom