GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Soldato
Just started doing some dumbell free weights recently, been a long time since I was in to this. Around 12 years. Do people still have pre workout supplements either a protein shake or something else? Also, before sleeping do any of you have some protein via say cashews/cottage cheese or peanut butter?

Principle = the primary physiological mechanism that matters for hypertrophy is muscle protein synthesis, which is activated when sufficient levels of protein (specifically certain amino acids which are what proteins is broken down into) are ingested. Once this processed is triggered, MPS stays elevated for a while - with a refractory period whereby further ingestion makes no difference - before returning to base-line, upon which time you can elevate MPS again. If you're interested in the ins-and-outs of this, read up on the Leucine Threshold.

Taking the above into account, if the goal is to maximise potential muscle gain as a result of training at sufficient intensity/volume and sufficient calories are being ingested to actually build new tissue, then according to current evidence it seems the most optimal strategy is to spread your protein intake out between 3-6 servings a day. Let preference and calorie demands determine that number.

Putting the above into practice, you want some sort of dietary protein in the hours preceding and after training. If you have a smaller serving of protein pre-training (e.g. protein shake) then ideally you have a bigger serving after (e.g. a proper dinner) and vice-versa.

Similarly, given the longest period you go without food is during sleep, having a serving of slower-digesting protein before bed is a good strategy, whether that's casein - which is broken down slower than whey - or a mixed-type meal.

When it comes to where this protein comes from, stick to the usual food sources and whey/casein powder - these are cheap - things like BCAAS and EAAs are over-priced and you don't get any benefit (and come with some disadvantages) over just having a normal shake.

Soldato
Not really threadworthy this do thought I'd stick it in here.

I've lifted on and off for years and have got myself back to a decent level strength wise on Stronglifts but I'm a bit sick of low rep strength work and it's time to get big.

Can someone spec me a decent, ready made program for hypertrophy?

There's so much online and I'd like to cut out some of the bumf by asking you knowledgeable chaps.

Full body, split over 2 days so I can hit everything twice over a week would be ideal.

Associate
Just started doing some dumbell free weights recently, been a long time since I was in to this. Around 12 years. Do people still have pre workout supplements either a protein shake or something else? Also, before sleeping do any of you have some protein via say cashews/cottage cheese or peanut butter?

If you need that a little bit of extra 'kick' or energy to get you going in the gym, just have a coffee.

I used to take pre-workout but quickly realised that a. you dont really know what you are putting into your body on a regular basis with training 3-5x per week or more and b. it becomes quite costly.

Really its the Caffeine that gives you that kick.

Post workout just have protein shake or eat some food - protein shake is for convenience really.

Also look into Mike Mentzer on youtube and listen to what he says. I think he was ahead of his time. Personally I dont really follow the '1 set to failure' is enough that he preaches (just because I feel I get more stimulation by doing 2-3 sets instead) but I completely agree with the idea that the set should be intense - approaching failure at least. It should be hard. If its 6 reps or 8 reps or 15 reps for me it doesnt matter as long as you push yourself to force the growth. This has seen dramatic changes for me over the last 6 months after training for years and in the later years feeling that I was just 'floating' through a workout, doing the motions, but not really seeing much improvements. My response was to increase volume, thinking I was not doing enough - and this obviously failed. You have to stimulate the muscle to force growth whilst also allowing for recovery - so in the same way theres no point doing 10 sets to failure and then 4 days later trying the same workout and finding you arent recovered enough to be able to do the same weights/intensity.

The actual training seems to be overlooked these days but for me it takes just as much importance as the diet itself.

Associate
Used to do a fair bit with the weights between 16 and 25 but not been near a gym for 30 years, I am feeling I need to see if I can tone up a little, do we have anyone in their 50's still training
The good thing about training is once you do it once, it's much easier the second time. I'm only 34 but if I were you, I'd take a look at Jim Wendler's programs. He's a powerlifter who's done it all and now just wants to stay in shape with minimum fuss and not being an obscene bodyweight or beating up his joints. Focus on all round fitness - balance, flexibility, cardio, etc. I feel in the same boat as you as I can't train how I used to or my tendinitis kills me. Also obligatory see a doctor note, you don't want to jump into anything too fast if you have blood pressure issues etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just about to jump back into the gym at 107kg bodybeight. Used to do a lot of deadlift/squat type of stuff mainly for powerlifting but now im getting into hiking and wild camping looking to switch it up completley, anyone got pointers on what to add in to lose weight/build muscle stamina.

Associate
Just about to jump back into the gym at 107kg bodybeight. Used to do a lot of deadlift/squat type of stuff mainly for powerlifting but now im getting into hiking and wild camping looking to switch it up completley, anyone got pointers on what to add in to lose weight/build muscle stamina.
Stick to compounds lifts like squat, strength gains there will carry over to any sport.

Associate
Used to do a fair bit with the weights between 16 and 25 but not been near a gym for 30 years, I am feeling I need to see if I can tone up a little, do we have anyone in their 50's still training
I'm 56 and have not trained for about 4 years. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week and train at home twice a week.
I am planning on starting again soon and will be getting a power cage, bench & weights as I sold all of my gear a while back.
I will more than likely start out by doing Stronglifts as I quite enjoyed that last time and then swap routines when I have built my strength up.

Soldato
I'm 56 and have not trained for about 4 years. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week and train at home twice a week.
I am planning on starting again soon and will be getting a power cage, bench & weights as I sold all of my gear a while back.
I will more than likely start out by doing Stronglifts as I quite enjoyed that last time and then swap routines when I have built my strength up.
Good luck mate.

Associate
Hello all - I am a partial weightlifter, but due to my bad back I have to be very selective these days in how I lift. IME squats and bench press are fine, but deadlifts and dumbbell flyes ultimately throw my lower back out.

I wondered if any other older lifters had the same problem and what lifts/exercises they found worked?

Associate
Hello all - I am a partial weightlifter, but due to my bad back I have to be very selective these days in how I lift. IME squats and bench press are fine, but deadlifts and dumbbell flyes ultimately throw my lower back out.

I wondered if any other older lifters had the same problem and what lifts/exercises they found worked?
Deadlifts, although a great exercise imo, are not neccessary if you are body building or just trying to stay in shape, and certainly not required for a weightlifter.

If those exercises are causing back pain then just avoid them.

You can do cable flys or fly machine (if you meant chest flys with dumbells cause you pain). You could try hyperextension machine and focus on lower back to strengthen that area (just do body weight, no crazy weights).

Do the exercises that dont cause bad pain. That is no exercise imo that is irreplaceable. Strange that squats dont give you lower back pain (no idea what IME squats are though). Also, if you are experiencing pains that arent to do with post-workout muscle soreness (which is inevitable), re-visit the amount of volume you are doing per workout - it may be too much and impeding on recovery.

Associate
Back in my youth I used to get a bit of back pain from deadlifts as well... the cause of that was actually not a bad back but a bad... "front". Weakness in the front core area was causing an imbalance which was negatively affecting my posture. I've introduced ab wheel rolls as a core exercise and never had an issue afterwards, most pain comes from imbalances in the body but it's not always in the most "obvious" of places.

Back
Top Bottom