goretex coats and fleeces- where to buy?

Associate
Hi all, we left the uk 10 years ago and were coming back to visit soon. We are used to warmer climates and have very little in the way of warm and or waterproof clothing.

Its been a while since we left so can anyone recommend where to shop for warm gear etc nowadays. we will be based in the north west and lake district but mail order may be the way to go.

What sites/shops do you recommend?

Soldato
Go outdoors is the big discount chain for this sort of stuff, they sell a good amount of the high end brands, but also a lot of cheaper (and less effective) stuff.

Gaynors is always worth a look, it's in ambleside (biggest concentration of outdoor shops in the lakes) but it has a website.

If you want to keep warm and dry Paramo stuff is worth a look, there's a shop in ambleside just over the road from the car park that does a good range. It doesn't look good but you'll be warm, I only wear it in winter because it's too damned warm!

Soldato
Gaynor's are very good - buy a lot of stuff online from them and their pricing and service is top notch.
Outdoors magic is a pretty good website for gear reviews but generally speaking you get what you pay for.
A £350 goretex pro jacket will keep you drier than a £100 "waterproof" north face

Soldato
Gortex is great, but you need to wear gortex trousers as well or your top half stays dry, but the water streams down onto your trousers.

Unless you're going to be going out in the rain a lot i'd just buy a cheap padded jacket. Winters seem to get milder every year, so don't expect snow and ice. I live an hour away from the Lakes and get away with wearing a thin fleece for most of the winter.

Associate
I love Ambleside for such shopping. Gaynors is a huge store, across several levels and their basement has loads of discounted clothing. I picked up a Berghaus Gore-Tex from there last year. It was a real bargain.

When not there, I buy my outdoor stuff from Go Outdoors. They're cheap, pricematch and have offers on frequently. They also offer further discounts if you're a member of an organisation, like Camping/Caravanning Clubs, Scouts, etc. I'm a Scout Leader so get a further 15% off! :)

Associate
OP
Gortex is great, but you need to wear gortex trousers as well or your top half stays dry, but the water streams down onto your trousers.

Unless you're going to be going out in the rain a lot i'd just buy a cheap padded jacket. Winters seem to get milder every year, so don't expect snow and ice. I live an hour away from the Lakes and get away with wearing a thin fleece for most of the winter.
We have been living in Queensland for 10 years, we are not used to the Cold now! Lol

Man of Honour

Problem is it is so unpredictable - most of the models are slowly but steadily moving towards a very different setup to the last few winters and edging more towards colder outcomes - but in a weeks time it could be totally different and back to pointing at a milder and wetter longer term outlook :s

Back
Top Bottom