Got a letter from DVLA (photo needs renewing)

Associate

Same here! I wonder how many people are in the same boat.

It's a load of rubbish what people are spouting on here - the DVLA are trying to scare people into thinking they have to renew and subsequently ponying up the cash to the DVLA. Nice little earner if the sheeple comply.

Your driving license doesn't expire, so you're perfectly fine to drive around. It's the photocard that is expiring, not the driving license. Even the official DVLA warnings word this very carefully.............."qualified drivers are still entitled to drive a vehicle if their licence has expired, but what they must be aware of is that they could be charged with the offence of failing to renew their licence. If the matter went to court, then the motorist could end up with a £1000 fine.

Notice the words "COULD be charged with the office of failing to renew their license" and "IF the matter went to court, then the motorist COULD end up with a £1000 fine".

I'm quite content driving while my photocard has expired. Certain insurance policies might have specific wording that their policy will be invalidated unless you've got both valid parts of the license (paper counterpart and photocard) but I doubt many of them have this in there.You'd still be covered 3rd party anyway even if they did mention it specifically.

Associate
my dad got done for failing to renew his license a few years ago. Apprantly his little red book should have been updated in the 70's when the green lecense came out! Had to go to court and everything.

how long to these driving license last for then? on the back of mine it says 04/04/54?

if your license needs renewing then just get a bike license!

Man of Honour
well, i think its a good idea to update the photo, as the person can certainly change!
its the charge i hate!

How do you think things like this are paid for. If you were not charged for it, taxes somewhere else would be increased.
Updating the photo is good.

Soldato
How do you think things like this are paid for. If you were not charged for it, taxes somewhere else would be increased.
Updating the photo is good.

Exactly.

People seem to really struggle with simple economics. Tell me, if you don't pay for it yourself, where does the money come from? A leprechaun?

Soldato
Oh no, £20 charge to change my license picture! :rolleyes:

Why should it be free? Is sending out the letter to remind you and then the processing and making of the card free to them is it?

It's a nominal charge and I'm quite happy to pay it. Hell I want to change my photo after 5 years and am happy to spend £20 on doing so to update my photo!

Caporegime
Oh no, £20 charge to change my license picture! :rolleyes:

Why should it be free? Is sending out the letter to remind you and then the processing and making of the card free to them is it?

It's a nominal charge and I'm quite happy to pay it. Hell I want to change my photo after 5 years and am happy to spend £20 on doing so to update my photo!

Yet it's free to update your address which also requires a new card to be made.

Soldato
They should charge for that too then.

The fact it's free for address changes is silly, but is understandable. Some people change addresses very often and the £20 charge would seem like extorsion.

They have to cover the costs of printing all the licenses and your £100 or whatever it is now days on Theory & Practical tests isn't really going to cover it.

Road Tax/Emmisions charges are a seperate thing alltogether.

Back
Top Bottom