Got caliper clearance??

Soldato
8 pot calipers on an 800kg car? Why :confused:
He could have saved a fortune by buying something more appropriate like a Wilwood Dynalite kit. I think some people just get carried away. There's nothing wrong with a sorted Nova as a track car, I just don't see what it gains by having 8 piston calipers.

unsprung weight :o

some people really do seem to go overkiill on the brakes, gayers on the VW boards are terrible for it. my golf has standard sized 280mm discs, standard calipers etc and the discs are bomb proof and mine is about 25bhp overstandard etc

Soldato
Rest of the Nova looks good. Just if it was me I would be selling the 8 pots straight the way and buying some lightweight 4pot brakes. Run it with 280-300mm discs and it will still have just as much usable braking as the 8pots but weigh a lot less. The reduction in the unspring weight will help it to be even quicker as it allows the suspension to react better to the road surface. Nice car though, I'd happily have one.

Permabanned
What a complete and utter moron.

What kind of idiot spends £20,000 on a Nova?! I hope he paid using loans. He will learn his lesson in the near future, and he will realise that he's a dumb ass. Words fail to explain just how dumb he is.

Soldato

What kind of idiot spends £20,000 on a Nova?! I hope he paid using loans. He will learn his lesson in the near future, and he will realise that he's a dumb ass. Words fail to explain just how dumb he is.

Why? He has a Time Attack winning car, 20k seems cheap! Fail to see what it matters what the base car is because it's so extensively modified.

Associate
So what if its a Nova! Like Lopez and others have said, you get to a certain point with tuning and it doesn't matter (too much) what the base car was.

Besides its not like he laid out 20k in one go. A few hundred here, few hundred there. It all adds up. He no doubt learnt as he built it and knows the car inside out too.

What would 20k buy anyways? How much are one of them R26R's? Bet that Nova would still be quicker!

Soldato
So what if its a Nova! Like Lopez and others have said, you get to a certain point with tuning and it doesn't matter (too much) what the base car was.

Besides its not like he laid out 20k in one go. A few hundred here, few hundred there. It all adds up. He no doubt learnt as he built it and knows the car inside out too.

What would 20k buy anyways? How much are one of them R26R's? Bet that Nova would still be quicker!

I'm sure a single man with a large wallet/debt knows much more about car design than the likes of Caterham, Lotus etc

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

he could have started off with something newer.

Just because something in newer doesn't make it better.

Most of the new hot hatches are ludicrously overweight.

Man of Honour
So what if it's a Nova - it's not really a Nova anymore is it. Look at it, and the insides - it's an out and out track car. Doesn't make the blindest bit of difference when you go to such a level of modification.

8 pots seem excessive though - but still, I kinda find it cool! :D

Soldato
That looks like a lot of fun.

Leave the poor guy alone. So what if he has grossly over-specified his brakes. The rest of it looks great. I doubt he gives two hoots about what a bunch of wannabees/nitpickers/trolls on OcUK think anyway :p

Soldato

Words fail to explain just how dumb he is.

By amazing coincidence the exact same words poped into my head when I read your post.

This is a competition car, you clearly have no idea of the kind of money needed to build a competitive car in many areas of motorsport. Time Attack is not banger racing.

Soldato
braking is limited to tyre grip. you get to a point where more is a bit pointless, depending on application.

Whilst braking is ultimately limited by the friction between tyre and road, in practice the inability of the brakes to dissipate heat quickly enough can cause fade to quickly become the dominating factor, especially in motorsport.

Soldato
HAHAHA Quality thats my mate pauls car, I thought he had sold it.

Good guy, Been round knockhill once in it and can say i was keeking my pants, That was before a few of the last moddifications.

When i last saw the car before he sold it, it was as wide as it could legaly go and yess all pannels are plastic other than the roof, Windows are all perspex other than windscreen, and last i heard he had bought a blueprint engine,

Runs a sweet set of throtle bodys,

2 out of 4 people in one of the images was banned. The second guy on the rightma sold Had a racing puit for a TT Quatro and got an R6 was always trying to pop wheelies and couldnt do it, finaly managed it couldnt get it down and shot passed a police car, Was quite funny.

The guy furthest guy on the left was caught doing 120 in a Pulsar on the way to Knockhill racing the nova, Nova wasnt going fast at that point hence why he can still drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
HAHAHA Quality thats my mate pauls car, I thought he had sold it.

Good guy, Been round knockhill once in it and can say i was keeking my pants, That was before a few of the last moddifications.

When i last saw the car before he sold it, it was as wide as it could legaly go and yess all pannels are plastic other than the roof, Windows are all perspex other than windscreen, and last i heard he had bought a blueprint engine,

Runs a sweet set of throtle bodys,

2 out of 4 people in one of the images was banned. The second guy on the rightma sold Had a racing puit for a TT Quatro and got an R6 was always trying to pop wheelies and couldnt do it, finaly managed it couldnt get it down and shot passed a police car, Was quite funny.

The guy furthest guy on the left was caught doing 120 in a Pulsar on the way to Knockhill racing the nova, Nova wasnt going fast at that point hence why he can still drive.

I'm wondering if I know you... You're talking about Steven and Ian. I'm good friends with both. The wheelie story was pretty funny. I was with him on my bike that day. Silly boy :)

Soldato
I never said he did? Whats your point?

No, but the argument was that it wont be crap like a normal Nova because there's very little Nova left, and the implication was it was a good/better than a car of equivalent value made for the purpose.

I'd much rather have a car made by a company with budgets of millions for designing a car for the purpose than something someone's just knocked together in a shed.

I dont think Lotus would ever release a car where the calipers scored the inside of the wheels for example.

I'm not doubting it's fast, its just not what I would spend the money on

The fact it’s a Vauxhall and Nova he cannot comprehend nor give any praises so is obviously trolling and in the process looking rather silly.

Shhhhhh.

Back
Top Bottom