1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got these odd messgaes when trying to open gedit

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Diss, 26 Aug 2006.

1. Diss

Wise Guy

Hi

I am running Ubuntu/Dapper and when i try and open GEDIT from a terminal it opens ok but i get these messages:

gedit
    - using device default
    - using device default
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.pc m.subdevice'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned err or: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:3951:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or di rectory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2102:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hw:0,0
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:819:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Foor your info my sound works ok when playing MP3 or movies BUT i get no system sounds. The sound is onboard sound using nvidia sound drivers which are OSS. I have posted before (in many places) about how to get my system sounds to work but to no avail. However does the above give any clues as i assume that maybe GEDIT is trying to beep or something as it opens but can't.

Any ideas how to fix?

Many thanks

Diss

2. EKsparky

Associate

1: I'd try uninstalling gedit then see if i still got sound.
    reinstall gedit.

2: uninstall gedit
    then install a different editor (kate is a good one)

Just to see what difference that made to things and see if it gave any more clues

3. Mr Potatohead

Gangster

You can ignore this unless it's causing you problems. Ubuntu uses ESD for it's system sounds, and for some reason, gedit is complaining on its behalf. ESD is frankly old and rubbish and should be replaced (My opinion isn't helped by the fact that it doesn't like my sound card).

Anyway, nothing to worry about.

4. Diss

Wise Guy

thanks all

EKsparky - uninstalling - no difference

Mr Potatohead - the message is not causing me problems as such - its just that i hoped it would be a pointer as to why no system sounds - is it trying to use ALSA when it should use ESD - do i need to reconfigure?

and how does OSS sound that i actually have affect all this

yours very confusedly

Diss

5. Mr Potatohead

Gangster

Chances are that ESD (which is responsible for the system sounds) is trying to use ALSA for output.

Try
    Code:
    apt-get install libesd0
    and see where it gets you.

6. Mr Potatohead

Gangster

In fact, don't do that, creates dependency problems. :(

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libesd-alsa0
    if you have already

Edit: Seems that lots of things in ubuntu depend on ESD, and the ESD library, if removed, or changed to the OSS version breaks them. Guess it's a stalemate, but at least no system sounds and random error messages are nothing serious

Last edited: 26 Aug 2006