Got these odd messgaes when trying to open gedit

Associate
Hi

I am running Ubuntu/Dapper and when i try and open GEDIT from a terminal it opens ok but i get these messages:

gedit
- using device default
- using device default
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.pc m.subdevice'
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned err or: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3951:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or di rectory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2102:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hw:0,0
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:819:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Foor your info my sound works ok when playing MP3 or movies BUT i get no system sounds. The sound is onboard sound using nvidia sound drivers which are OSS. I have posted before (in many places) about how to get my system sounds to work but to no avail. However does the above give any clues as i assume that maybe GEDIT is trying to beep or something as it opens but can't.

Any ideas how to fix?

Many thanks

Diss

Associate
1: I'd try uninstalling gedit then see if i still got sound.
reinstall gedit.

2: uninstall gedit
then install a different editor (kate is a good one)

Just to see what difference that made to things and see if it gave any more clues

Associate
Diss said:
Hi

I am running Ubuntu/Dapper and when i try and open GEDIT from a terminal it opens ok but i get these messages:

gedit
- using device default
- using device default
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.pc m.subdevice'
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned err or: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3951:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or di rectory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2102:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hw:0,0
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:819:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Foor your info my sound works ok when playing MP3 or movies BUT i get no system sounds. The sound is onboard sound using nvidia sound drivers which are OSS. I have posted before (in many places) about how to get my system sounds to work but to no avail. However does the above give any clues as i assume that maybe GEDIT is trying to beep or something as it opens but can't.

Any ideas how to fix?

Many thanks

Diss

You can ignore this unless it's causing you problems. Ubuntu uses ESD for it's system sounds, and for some reason, gedit is complaining on its behalf. ESD is frankly old and rubbish and should be replaced (My opinion isn't helped by the fact that it doesn't like my sound card).

Anyway, nothing to worry about.

Associate
OP
thanks all

EKsparky - uninstalling - no difference

Mr Potatohead - the message is not causing me problems as such - its just that i hoped it would be a pointer as to why no system sounds - is it trying to use ALSA when it should use ESD - do i need to reconfigure?

and how does OSS sound that i actually have affect all this

yours very confusedly

Diss

Associate
Mr Potatohead said:
Chances are that ESD (which is responsible for the system sounds) is trying to use ALSA for output.

Try
Code:
apt-get install libesd0
and see where it gets you.

In fact, don't do that, creates dependency problems. :(

Code:
sudo apt-get install libesd-alsa0
if you have already

Edit: Seems that lots of things in ubuntu depend on ESD, and the ESD library, if removed, or changed to the OSS version breaks them. Guess it's a stalemate, but at least no system sounds and random error messages are nothing serious

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom