• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU advice for an old i7

Associate
Hello all....

I have a rather old workhorse.....i7 860, 16gb ddr3....ancient 1gb GPU....SSD

I am looking to upgrade the GPU for a bit of light gaming.

I appreciate the rig is old and I could easily spend far more than I need to and get little benefit.

So my question is, what should I go for ( second hand, UK Market, sub £200) that will give me maximum benefit without wasting money on bottlenecked performance?

Thanks all :)

Caporegime
Used to run most current titles well @ 1080p with an ancient GTX 580 & i7 870 - in fact it still does with its new keeper. I wouldn't be throwing a £200 GPU in that.

I tried a 1070 in it and tbh it ran worse than the 580, I'm guessing the 870 was better matched to the older card?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, I wasn't sure I'd need to spend that much, but gave the figure as the most I would be willing to spend. If I can get the most out of it for less, then happy days. ;)

Back
Top Bottom